AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Can it be upgraded?

http://www.bigredwa.com/IMG_0626.JPG
I cant find ANY information on this motherboard. Apparently it doesnt exist This is the only thing I have found (that was in english) on a google search.
Quote:
BXcel

BXcel is a relabeled Ali Aladdin Pro II chipset
Used in PcChips M726, M729
BIOS id:
61-1020-001437-00111111-071595-ALi1621-M726_v3.3-5123-H : PcChips M726 PCB v3.3
BXcel is what it says on the northbridge heatsink. I tried looking on PcCHips's website but nothing about it is there. Hell I even tried looking on ebay for the motherboard. Nothing.
Help!
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Definitely looks like a PCChips mATX mobo. They are not known for quality. I've never seen a horizontal slot1 like that tho.

Looks like a PPGA celeron you have there... As such, that socket probably will not be able to handle more than a 533.

Most likely, that mobo won't overclock worth a hill of beans.
You're best bet would be to hope that the slot1 can fare better. With a FCPGA to slot 1 adaptor... aka Slotket, you might be able to use an FCPGA CPU like a 1-1.2gig P3. Before you try tho, you have to find out if that mobo is stuck with a 66fsb. You need 133FSB to make the work worth the risk.

FYI. I have had mixed succes with these types of upgrades. Using FCPGA celerons I done:
Dell BX board (documents only max of 500mhz) but worked.
Abit VT6x4 worked
FIC ZX mobo failed
PCChips VIA mobo failed.

In these cases, bios upgrades did not help.

Because of that odd slot1 config, I'd keep looking around for pics at the PCChips site, I don't think they have many boards that look this way.

good luck.
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Since it was free I dont expect much out of it
It is a ppga celeron (400mhz). Socket says ppga on it so I know it cant really go higher than 533mhz (last ppga made).
The motherboard has a whole THREE fsb options for overclocking. 75mhz, 100mhz, 113mhz. WOW! lol.
If I get the cash sometime I might try a slocekt with a celeron 800 or so (put that 113fsb option to good use). Or ill just keep it as it is and start a new computer from scratch. If the celeron 800 works. I might just keep this celeron, look for another exactly like it, and prehaps get an BP6 Well I might do that anyway since this mobo is almost worthless.
See that card by the cpu? that card holds the ps/2 ports and usb Ive never seen a mobo like that before.
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:54 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
See that card by the cpu? that card holds the ps/2 ports and usb Ive never seen a mobo like that before.
Whaooo! hold the farm. I can't believe I missed that. That isn't mATX. IT'S AT!!!!
Makes upgrading a bit tougher. I wouldn't spend too much messing with that mobo. The mobo and Case are pretty outdated. Use it the way it is, save your money.

I highly doubt it could handle FCPGA... more than likely, PCchips stopped supporting it long before FCPGA came out. And they aren't very good at following reference designs. ... unlike Dell. Dell actually uses Intel mobos(ie. reference design), so even tho the boards were built even before PPGA processors, it is able to handle FCPGA CPUs, believe it or not.

Last edited by SteveI; 20th November, 2002 at 04:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Whaooo! hold the farm. I can't believe I missed that. That isn't mATX. IT'S AT!!!!
Makes upgrading a bit tougher. I wouldn't spend too much messing with that mobo. The mobo and Case are pretty outdated. Use it the way it is.
Its AT and ATX. Has both connections on it
I think ill just search egay for a cheap 533 ppga celeron. and get a 400 and a bp6
Old 20th November, 2002, 01:28 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Looks like the ultimate hybrid board of yesteryear!

Socket 370, Slot1 ATX and AT

Me like! wheres the kitchen sink? :S

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2002, 04:06 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Even for the cost of a single 533.. or similar processor, you could think of it as a downpayment for a new economy rig. A new 1+gig duron would be about the same price.

There comes a time where old and outdated just becomes uneconomical to upgrade. While the mobo may handle an ATX PSU, it is definitely not an ATX layout. So the case and mobo will go to together.... any single part upgrade like CPU will only give you nominal performance gains. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 20th November, 2002, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Looks like the ultimate hybrid board of yesteryear!
You mean the year before yesteryear!:clown:
Old 20th November, 2002, 06:57 PM

I don't think I would spend money on something like that. I would probably just run it as is or sell it in the paper. With a monitor, our little windows tricks that we have learned over the years and some software you can probably get somebody to give a few hundred.

Don't laugh guys, I have sold several P233's over the last few months for $200 to $225. Just stuff That I have pulled out of peoples computers that I upgrade and once I have enough parts come together, I put it together and sell it.

Lot of Joe Sixpacks out there that don't have a computer and want a computer, don't have a credit card or $500 but they can come up with $200 so they can get on the net.
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:26 PM

Hey, I gave that rig to Red instead of making toxic waste! It's good to see it going to good use, even if it's just a source of wonderment. LOL

Just think how amazed the fella is who turned that in for a new computer I made him. An ECS K7S5A SiSĀ® 735 with an Athlon XP 1600! He is in heaven. Wow, Bob, I can look at email and surf the net at the same time, it's a miracle!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:36 PM
AOA Staff

ECS P6se series I believe, there were a few different flavors (set,setm,setml). I'm sure it was sold as a PC Chips board also, but I dont know the name. my kid had the "setml" version and a 366celly that would do 113fsb :-D I never did get the slot to work on it though but it was a damn good board!
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Hey, I gave that rig to Red instead of making toxic waste! It's good to see it going to good use, even if it's just a source of wonderment. LOL

...... An ECS K7S5A SiSĀ® 735 with an Athlon XP 1600....

Please tell me you didn't put an AGOIA 1600+ in that system.... It would be a crime if you did.
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Please tell me you didn't put an AGOIA 1600+ in that system.... It would be a crime if you did.
at only $52?....no it was an AROIA I had. Now the wife has the AGOIA. Man that is a sweet processor, I ain't handin it off that easy.
I did convert a dyed in the wool Intel fella to the dark side, tho! LOL
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 20th November, 2002 at 07:54 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2002, 12:46 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
A new 1+gig duron would be about the same price.
He'd rather die than use an AMD

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 22nd November, 2002, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

my suggestion would be to see if you can a cheap AGP card (GF2MX or GTS) on ebay for like 20-30$ and then use it for a network gaming rig, or a dedicate server, or even better yet....a dedicated FOLDER
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 22nd November, 2002, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by funnyperson1
my suggestion would be to see if you can a cheap AGP card (GF2MX or GTS) on ebay for like 20-30$ and then use it for a network gaming rig, or a dedicate server, or even better yet....a dedicated FOLDER
I put an old ATI rage pro in it, network card, sound card, cdrom, floppy, 1 3gb hdd, 1 2gb hdd. and im giving it to dad for his solotaire/email/internet computer . And of course it will be folding
I just gotta wait for my AT keyboard adapter to come in the mail. The mobo uses AT keyboards and I havent even SEEN on in a few years and all I have is ps/2 and usb.
Old 22nd November, 2002, 09:31 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Talking AT keyboard eh?

got one of those old fangled inventions here. on the family's #2 computer. that one is well old
Old 22nd November, 2002, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed

I put an old ATI rage pro in it, network card, sound card, cdrom, floppy, 1 3gb hdd, 1 2gb hdd. and im giving it to dad for his solotaire/email/internet computer . And of course it will be folding
I just gotta wait for my AT keyboard adapter to come in the mail. The mobo uses AT keyboards and I havent even SEEN on in a few years and all I have is ps/2 and usb.
I got an AT keyboard in the closet if you want it. Got adapters too.
Old 22nd November, 2002, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wilson

I got an AT keyboard in the closet if you want it. Got adapters too.
Na I already have 3 people sending me an adapter
Thanks anyway.
Old 23rd November, 2002, 08:01 AM

So, what was that other plug under the mouse plug?