AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th December, 2002, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vatt
Strange. I am also using a 533 processor instead of a 400 Mhz(or 133 instead of 100 if you will). So it should work.
Have you tried clearing CMOS after flashing? That's what I did because of some troubles I had after flashing. I even got some BIOS checksum and CMOS errors. But after clearing the CMOS it works perfectly now.

So what I did was:
1:Flash the newest BIOS
2:Reboot computer when asked
3:just let it boot into windows
4:Turn of the computer (from within windows, just standard stuff)
5:Take of the power cord or pull the plug
6:Move JBAT1 jumper to clear CMOS (see manual)
7:Wait a minute or so
8:Move the jumper for JBAT1 back in original postion
9:Put the power back on
10:Start up
11: Press 'DEL' to get into BIOS
and all should work.

Good luck
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think to clear the CMOS. I'll try that when I get home from work.

http://www.pittstate.edu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2002, 04:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Please read our Announcement at the top of the EPoX page.

I've moved this thread to our "Intel Motherboards and CPUs" Topic where this

CAN be discussed.

To post again on those issues mentioned in our announcement will result in

your being ban from the EPoX topic. Please enjoy our forums and show your

appreciation by respecting our Rules.

Thank you!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 10:23 AM

OK, just got the 4GEA+ finally after a FEDEX mix-up. Flashed the 12/04 BIOS (4GEA2C04.BIN) - followed the CMOS clear procedure BUT no 3:4 divider. I am using a 1.6A (400FSB) chip. Could this be the reason?

PSU can you confirm that you are able to get both dividers with your chip?

Thanks
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by p4spooky
OK, just got the 4GEA+ finally after a FEDEX mix-up. Flashed the 12/04 BIOS (4GEA2C04.BIN) - followed the CMOS clear procedure BUT no 3:4 divider. I am using a 1.6A (400FSB) chip. Could this be the reason?

PSU can you confirm that you are able to get both dividers with your chip?

Thanks
Nope, I haven't been able to get 3:4 with any of the BIOS'.

Clearing the CMOS didn't help. I'm running a P4 3.06
Old 13th December, 2002, 05:10 PM

PSU: Thanks. Vatt can you email me the BIOS you are using to ssukumar_us@yahoo.com? I will give that a shot.

The board is great. Went straight to 150FSB, vcore 1.6 DDR400 Vdimm 2.7 on 1Gig of Corsair PC3200C2. Not a single crash and no cold boot problems so far. Will do some more testing today.
Old 13th December, 2002, 06:39 PM

HI Watt
can you send me a copy of your bios please?
gato.magic@tiscalinet.it

THANKS
Old 14th December, 2002, 12:13 AM

How about uploading the BIOS to the AOA Files.
Old 14th December, 2002, 12:48 AM

Not needed, it's the same as on the epox.org website. That's where I got it....
Old 14th December, 2002, 01:24 AM

I am lost. Installed Magic BIOS and it refuses to flash my BIOS claiming that I already have the latest. OK, downloaded file from epox.org and flashed using ALT-F2 method. Cleared CMOS as suggested, no go. I cannot get the damn divider. However the TEMPS are fine (I am running 4GEA+).

Board is starting to show cold boot problem as well. I am not sure if this is related to the latest BIOS.
Old 14th December, 2002, 11:02 AM

i just got the p4pea+ today and tested it at my supplier's shop. i used two 512mb xms3200c2 on dimm slot 1 & slot 2 and the P4 2.66B.

i flashed it with 4PEA2C04.zip bios right away, set the fsb to 150 and the memory ratio to 3:4. it booted up fine with both sticks of rams at turbo setting.

i did notice something odd about the memory placements. if i install them in both slot 2 & slot 3, it would only show 512mb of memory. it wouldn't even boot on slot 1 and slot 3 (sirens). i wonder what would happen if i used 3 sticks of identical ram. has anyone filled all the banks yet?

another odd thing about enabling "watch dog". if enabled, the boot up screen would only show 2.0ghz, 100fsb (PC2100), even though i have it set to 150fsb in the bios. if i disable "watch dog", the boot screnn would show 3.0ghz, 150fsb (PC3200), which is the correct setting in the bios. pretty weird...

this was only the initial tests, i will do some prime, memtest, and 3dmark when i have time. i'm hoping to get this 2.66 to 3.2 with this brand new HEC 475w psu i got at the same time.

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 14th December, 2002, 11:22 AM

@r0l0e:
Could you please post your spec-code of your P4?
Mine is SL6EH (last 5 digits of PROD.CODE on sticker) pack date 10/30/2002 from Malaysia.
The highest stable Prime speed I got with mine 2.66 is 20x155 = 3.10 Ghz.
Old 14th December, 2002, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vatt
@r0l0e:
Could you please post your spec-code of your P4?
Mine is SL6EH (last 5 digits of PROD.CODE on sticker) pack date 10/30/2002 from Malaysia.
The highest stable Prime speed I got with mine 2.66 is 20x155 = 3.10 Ghz.
i'm glad you asked me that before installing the HSF. i'm working with AS2 on the chipset now

this is a tray so it didn't come with a box. i only got it for USD$122 3 months ago .

P4 2.66B:
SL6DX
Philippines
unless it shows the packing date on the chip, i wouldn't know when it was made.

P4GEA+ Rev: 1.0

ps. correct if i'm wrong, but am i correct to say that this board doesn't have a jumper option to choose from Auto, 100fsb, or 133fsb like the 4G4A+. though i do see the etched [JCLK1] on this board.

Old 15th December, 2002, 03:54 AM

well... i've come to the conclusion that my 2.66B chip SUCKS ..

i got it up to 157fsb anything past that would BSOD in windows no matter how i set the memory timing in the bios. the most stable (not 100%) i could get it to run was at 155fsb. it would finish all sandra, super pi and 3dmark benches, but would fail prime. if i set it to 145fsb, it passed all benches and stress tests with flying colors.

however, it's really amasing what this board and memory does at super pi. on the 4g4a+, it would only give me 1m 5s. on the p4pea+ at any fsb would give me 50s. sandra memory benchmark was a bit disappointing. compared to the 4g4a+ at 155fsb, the 4g4a+ would give me 100pts over the p4pea.

something interesting about sandra though. it sees the board's memory setting at turbo, as 1.5-3-3. maybe because sandra doesn't support this board. (see attch.)

at my disappointment, i decides to drop my 1.6A since i knew it could handle 160fsb. with 3:4, it should give me around 420fsb. i think i can live with 340mhz loss against the 2.66B. however, i didn't pay USD$420 for 2 sticks of xms3200c2 so i can run them at default.
Attached Thumbnails
[4PEA+] How about our BIOS updates?-p4pea.jpg  

Last edited by r0l0e; 15th December, 2002 at 03:57 AM.
Old 15th December, 2002, 05:06 AM

for those interested, the 1.6A is abosutely stable at 165fsb. i haven't gone any higher yet. with a little more luck, i hope to get this stable at 2.7ghz (169fsb).
Attached Thumbnails
[4PEA+] How about our BIOS updates?-prime-166.jpg  

Old 15th December, 2002, 05:10 AM

super pi was vertually unchanged at 50 seconds on a 1mb run. sandra memory bench omproved a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
[4PEA+] How about our BIOS updates?-memory.jpg  
Old 15th December, 2002, 06:02 AM

well, i was hopeing for 2.7ghz but i guess 2691mhz is close enough. i'm prefectly happy with this p4pea+/1.6a combo for the next 2 months unless the DCDDR drops it's price to USD$150.
Attached Thumbnails
[4PEA+] How about our BIOS updates?-prime-168.gif  

Old 15th December, 2002, 06:09 AM

sorry for all the pickies mods. i think this is my final one.

Sandra Memory bench:
Attached Thumbnails
[4PEA+] How about our BIOS updates?-sandra-168.gif  

Old 15th December, 2002, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
well... i've come to the conclusion that my 2.66B chip SUCKS ..

i got it up to 157fsb anything past that would BSOD in windows no matter how i set the memory timing in the bios. the most stable (not 100%) i could get it to run was at 155fsb. it would finish all sandra, super pi and 3dmark benches, but would fail prime. if i set it to 145fsb, it passed all benches and stress tests with flying colors.
My 2.66 behaves exactly the same. Prime95 only stable up to FSB 155. FSB of 156 causes errors. Booting into windows is no problem with a FSB of 166 (=3330 Mhz), and even all the benchmarks will run, except Prime95. I do have to max out on the Vcore when going for a FSB of 166. But I always choose stability over performance, so I'm working at 20x155=3100 Mhz. Not too bad, although it is a waist of CORSAIR PC3500 CAS2.
By the way, thanks for attaching your Sandra scores.
Old 15th December, 2002, 02:27 PM

i found a guy who will trade in his 2.26B with my 2.66B and he said he will add cash on top. i've heard lots of good things about the 2.26B.

anyway on to the bad news. i turned off my rig still at 168fsb. when i started her up again, she wouldn't boot as the matter of fact, the only way it would cold boot is when i set the fsb to anything below 150fsb. reminds me of the 8kha+ saga .... i did notice the vcore set itself to 1.10v and i had to load default settings to get it back to the default 1.50v. i've tried the 400w enermax and the 475w hec. both had the same problems.

if i just restart it and get into the bios and set the fsb to 168, save, and exit. it goes into windows like a bat outta hell and very stable.

anyone else here notice a cold boot problem? what about those with older the bios do you have cold boot problems with the fsb set above 150? is there an older bios that has the 3:4 option?

greets..