AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2002, 07:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Need QUICK answer to p4 problem

Im building a p4 rig right now (1.7ghz p4 willimate celeron, I know i know. The guy wanted cheap. The whole computer only cost $535 shipped). This is only my 2nd venture into p4 land and I noticed somthing disturbing.
I have a SiS motherboard that uses both SDR and DDR ram (have pc133 in it right now, but gave the guy the option to upgrade to ddr, like I said he wanted cheap). Im using the retail p4 cooler. I removed that ghey ass heatpad and slapped some as3 on there (very THIN coat). I installed the brackets correctly but when I put the heatsink on there and secure it with the retention clip it clips with so much force it torques the motherboard. I can see it bend. Scared the hell out of me..
Will it work like that, should it torque/bend like that? If not whats wrong? I need answer asap because I need to get this computer together and working really soon.
Old 11th December, 2002, 07:58 AM
AOA Staff

ya, that wheezy plastic clip on the stock cooler actually is strong enough to warp teh board a wee bit. it doesnt seem to hurt it though
Old 11th December, 2002, 08:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
ya, that wheezy plastic clip on the stock cooler actually is strong enough to warp teh board a wee bit. it doesnt seem to hurt it though
But still I dont like it when the board turns into a C when I clip the hsf on...
I think im gonna file down the clip a tiny bit
Old 11th December, 2002, 12:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Those clips are strong as **** on the stock cooler! I've installed a couple myself, I wasn't too happy about it the first time. Not sure it bends the mobo as much as you report though...
Old 11th December, 2002, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan
Those clips are strong as **** on the stock cooler! I've installed a couple myself, I wasn't too happy about it the first time. Not sure it bends the mobo as much as you report though...
It was bending it to the point of it making a cracking noise, im not kidding
I filed down the clips though, barley bends the mobo at all and still puts lots of pressure on the cpu