AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th December, 2002, 01:52 AM

Granite Bay is HERE - AOpen AX4R+ Tests!!

Tornados and Thunderstorms in Memphis didn't stop FedEx from delivering the package from New Egg -- it did slow them down But Granite Bay IS Here, and testing has been a treat. First and foremost, I don't know if it's Aopen's implementation or Granite Bay, but this is one STABLE STABLE STABLE mobo - probably the most stable out-of-the-box I have ever installed.

Pictures also don't do it justice - it's all black - and full ATX size like most other GB boards. 2 days ago I was about to agree with a poster in another Forum that the AOpen is not well laid-out. Well, now that I've worked with it first hand I can report the layout is GREAT! In my Full Tower case the layout is almost ideal - and everything seems to fall in the right place - unlike MANY other boards. If I have a complaint, it's that the memory slots are too close to AGP - but I'll take PCI 6 and the tight memory rather than dumping a slot like the other GB boards do! With my 9700 the first bank is blocked - you'd have to remove the video card to change memory - but the 2nd bank is totally open. The large full-size board also places the connectors on the edge, so what looked like it might be a problem in the pics is not an issue at all. None of the IDE/Floppy, etc. look like they'd even be a problem with that full-length board someone still owns out in the ether.

I also couldn't miss AOpen's pride in this board - they actually have a "Credits" tab in the Award BIOS that says "Designed and Built with Pride" and they list names of the AOpen Granite Bay Design Team. Frankly I LIKE this Pride in product, and wish more manufacturers in the computer industry would show some pride in their products!

The shipping Bios is 100 to 255 FSB in 1 MHz increments, which is a bit better than earlier reported, the vCore 1.10 to 1.85 in 0.025V increments, vAGP 1.5 to 1.7 in 0.05, vDimm 2.5 to 2.7 in 0.05. GB seems to respond better to small tweaks instead of the sledgehammer () moves we're accustomed to in BIOS. The Bios has adjustments for about anything you could want on overclocking - including a 1.5 CAS option - but no memory multipliers AT ALL, like all GB boards from what I hear.

PERFORMANCE: 160FSB didn't even need a voltage boost for my 2.66 to reach 3.2GHZ. Ran a quickie little 3DMark2001SE just to find out GB slightly passes Rambus - even with stock video settings that weren't overclocked at all and I'll tweak for new records a bit later. Compare at http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5376207

Then I found 166 (667FSB) was absolutely solid at a 0.05V increase - 1.575V - so I ran Sandra there. WCPU shows the chipset as an unknown Intel, but Revision 03:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hessfink/wcpu166gb.gif

VERY IMPORTANT: A Forum in Australia has already reported that you must move the AGP multiplier off 66.60 when you Overclock the Gigabyte 8INXP. This is apparently a Granite Bay thing since it is ALSO true with the AOpen. You can move to 66.50 or any setting other than 66.60 and everything is fine - If left at 66.60 you WILL get video corruption and incorrectly assume you need more juice!

Buffered performance at 166 (DDR333) is pretty astounding:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hessfink/gb166buf.jpg

AND we will finally be cracking 2000 in unbuffered as you can see by this unbuffered score at 166FSB:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hessfink/gb166un.jpg

Just for jollies I ran a 160 unbuffered so you could see the trend line:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hessfink/gb160un.gif

Sandra Arithmetic Benchmark (CPU) at 166 (667FSB):

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hessfink/gb166cpu.jpg

Have been booting at 170 FSB, but it's requiring 1.625 to 1.65V and I'm still trying to find the most stable settings. Will certainly post more after further testing.

However, I am comfortable in saying - even with the limited testing - that Granite Bay is remarkably stable based on this AOpen board. Overclocking also looks like it's on a par with the incredible OC's we have seen with 845PE, and memory performance is like Rambus - with MUCH higher OC's possible - like the 850E on steroids!!

Last edited by Prometheus; 20th December, 2002 at 05:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th December, 2002, 03:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Than you for your contrabution to our front page!
http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th December, 2002, 03:54 AM

dang it, i just got my PE chipset . that was a good read Prometheus, and congrats for making the front page! anyone know how much that thing go for on the average?

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 20th December, 2002, 04:49 AM

New Personal Best 3DMark with GB

Granite Bay DID blow past all my best 3DMark scores. NEW Personal Record with Air Cooling my 2.66 with ATI 9700. 17,268 at 160 (640FSB) on Granite Bay - and I haven't really tweaked yet. Compare at http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5378186

Will see what I can do at 166-170 in the next few days, since 166 is quite stable.

This compares to:

16,633 with nForce2 (Epox8RDA+) with 2600+ at 200x11.5 (about 2900+), and a matched pair of Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 (1GB total) at DDR400 6,2,3,2 at nForce2

16,596 with 845PE (Abit BE7-R) with 2.66 at 3.2GHz (160x20) with one stick of Cosair 512MB at DDR430 7,3,3,2 at 845PE

16,133 with 850E Rambus (Gigabyte 8IHXP) with 2.66 at 3.0GHz (150x20) with two sticks of 512MB Rambus (1GB Total) running at PC1200 at 850E Rambus
Old 20th December, 2002, 04:50 AM

I'm honored, Daniel, by the front page exposure. Thank you.
Old 20th December, 2002, 05:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to noxarin

re

That's interesting about the AGP lock also having the same problems as my friends 8INXP. I'm glad we could be of help with that as it took us a while to figure it out, hope it saves people time =)
Old 20th December, 2002, 05:59 AM

how far were you able to oc utilizing DCDDR on that GB board? if that board has no memory multipliers, then you really need to get lucky on the P4. my 2.66 blows air. couldn't get past 2.9 no matter what i do.

thats incredible though. over 4k on the mem bench? i can't even touch that with a ten foot pole using my p4 1.6 at 170fsb.

happy holidays!

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 20th December, 2002, 08:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus
I'm honored, Daniel, by the front page exposure. Thank you.
The pleasures all ours! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th December, 2002, 11:18 PM

The return of the 1.6a, 1.8a (C1) and 2.4b(C1)? I reckon so. No multipliers on the ram, but 200FSB would kick ass on that board.

Just need to find out what the chipset is capable of....

Need a board with highpoint raid too .

PiLsY.
Old 29th December, 2002, 06:41 PM

Darn, I can't wait until Newegg gets them back in stock....
Old 29th December, 2002, 06:51 PM

Prometheus, please confirm the Vdimm & Vagp voltages again because OCworkbench is saying about 0.05V lower than you are saying. Here is the reference page of the review: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/aope...usgallery3.htm