AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:43 PM

Question Overclocking a Pentium 133! How! Help!

Ok. Here it is. I have an older model Pentium 133Mhz CPU sitting in a Socket 5. Now, I have researched what seems to be millions of overclocking websites concerning the possibilities of overclocking this turtle of a cpu, but to no avail. I get plenty of information telling me that my cpu can be overclocked at least to 166Mhz, which isn't much, but would be great for me right now, but no sight informs me of how. They all say that my bus speed is 66Mhz, which I verified through my motherboard manual, BUT, the trick is, the cpu doesn't have a multiplier setting higher than 2x. So, they go on to say that the only way to overclock it to 166Mhz, is to raise the EXTERNAL bus speed. Well, according to my manual, the jumper settings are already set for 66MHZ bus speed, which must be true since I've tried every single jumper setting that I can think of, and they all just equal up to speeds lower than mine such as 100, 90, 75, and 66 Mhz. So, according to these sights, I would have to raise the external bus speed to 83Mhz in order to achieve 166Mhz WITHOUT the benefit of a multiplier setting higher than 2x. I'm almost fearful that I may have one of the SY022 models, which has the multipliers 2.5 and 3x disabled, but, I don't know how to identify that. I've also read that the so-called 83Mhz bus speed is not officially supported by Intel, and only capable of on newer motherboards, which, obviously, I do not have. So, in conclusion, I have tweaked this computer to death. It's running better than it ever has, but this is the only tweak that I cannot figure out how to perform. Does anyone know of a way around this? Is it even possible to overclock this machine? If it helps anyone to know, the machine is a Packard Bell, which we all know are horrible, but it does work quite well I must say. The motherboard is a PB600 model, which according to some websites, can be overclocked successfully. Also, last question. What about the CPU Voltage jumper? I've read where raising the voltage might improve speed. Is this true? Please help me with this. It's bugging me really bad. Well, I had to update this message when I found out that I do believe I have one of the SY022 Intel chips. Obviously, eliminating the multiplier setting ever dreaming of going over 2X, but, as mentioned above, these websites are still telling me that I can overclock this CPU regardless. So, the nutshell is that I have a Pentium 133Mhz CPU, with a multiplier setting of 1.5 or 2x. I have three jumpers available, all of them set to what seems to be there maximum. I've tried as many jumper configurations as I could think of, and they all produced slower speeds than 133Mhz. I'm supposed to be trying to raise the EXTERNAL bus speed of the chip, not the internal, as it has been said that the internal is maxed out at 66Mhz, and can't go any higher. So, where is the EXTERNAL bus jumper? Is it a jumper, a pin, or something else? If anyone becomes really interested in this challenging situation, and would really like to help, I can provide you with motherboard diagrams, and any other information you would need. Thanks to anyone who decides to try and help me with this problem. I'm very gratefull.

Last edited by tweaker1977; 14th November, 2001 at 01:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th November, 2001, 02:53 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hmmmmmmmmm i think you may be out of luck, as PB probably dont want people fiddling with their PC's.... so as its a custom built motherboard it will probably only support up to 66mhz FSB..... i dont know whether the old pentium CPU's were multiplier locked......... they could well be, so that is also a dead end...

you could go for an upgrade always....... if you have the money, or look out for people giving away old stuff! its been known to happen!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th November, 2001, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to SEiZe Send a message via Yahoo to SEiZe

tweaker1977 - I don't think that it is possible to do with a PB. Everything is locked down on those boards. You might want to go on the route that Random Nonsense suggests and upgrade.
Old 14th November, 2001, 10:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

You could hit Ebay for a Super7 board, should be able to get one dirt cheap . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 15th November, 2001, 11:07 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

From what I remember of the Socket 5 boards...

The CPU's internal frequency works in exactly the same way as current CPUs. That is, if your CPU is 133MHz, it's 66MHz bus x2. If you bring the bus up to 75MHz, then the CPU runs at 150MHz. There is no external bus/internal bus settings, as the internal bus is derived from the external bus! (;

You have a multiplier locked CPU, so the only option, as you point out, is to bring the bus speed up. The problem, as you've found, is that most clock generators from that time supported 50,60 and 66MHz.

The net result? Two choices, one easy(ish) and one hard.

The easiest option is to get a new motherboard.

The hard option is to get hold of a new crystal for the clock generator with a slightly higher frequency (16MHz would give you ~74MHz clock instead of 66MHz), but this requires finding a crystal and some soldering skills. It also involves a great deal of frustration when you find that your CPU doesn't work at 74MHz....

AidanII
Old 16th November, 2001, 09:14 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

heheh adain i beat u to it! PM'd him about the crystal ETC, though u seem to know more about it! i urged him not to try it on my advice, but if you feel you can get him through it without blowing anything up go for it!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 17th November, 2001, 01:33 AM
eobard

1) Welcome aboard.

2) Did you try every possible FSB setting? Even ones that aren't listed? My Cyrix system is on a socket 5 board with two jumpers that control the FSB. Two jumpers times two choices each (on or off) equals four choices. My motherboard shows only three choices on the board and in the manual. I set the jumpers to see if the unlisted choice actually gave another FSB setting and it did, mind you my chip couldn't run at that setting but I proved it was there. I suggest, if you haven't done this already, that you make a chart showing all of the possible jumper settings, in sequential order, and try them all. It is can be time consuming if you have a lot of jumpers but as long as you aren't messing with voltage jumpers you shouldn't damage anything. Who knows, you might get lucky and find a setting the manufacturers didn't document.
Old 17th November, 2001, 06:54 PM

Heheheh,

If the board was only designed for Pentium systems, then any invalid jumper settings tend to give a clock rate of 0Hz. The best way of finding out is to identify the clock generator chip, then find the data sheet for it. That way you get the info from the chip manufacturer as to what frequencies their generator will do.

The soldering option isn't too hard if you can solder, and if you don't mind losing the motherboard if it all goes Tong.

AidanII
Old 17th November, 2001, 11:08 PM

aidain i heard u had to replace a capacitor along with the crystal... that sound right? if not then im gonna go ahead and overclock my 486 dx4-100

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 18th November, 2001, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
aidain i heard u had to replace a capacitor along with the crystal... that sound right? if not then im gonna go ahead and overclock my 486 dx4-100
There are two capacitors with the crystal to help it resonate. If both crystals are parallel cut, you should be able to get away without changing the crystal. If one's parallel cut and the other isn't, it'll take a bit more than just changing the capacitor!

Most crystals under ~30Mhz are standard resonant crystals. Once you get above that frequency, then they start operating on the harmonics, which makes it more difficult to mod.

AidanII

P.S. Don't ask me how to tell what kind of crystal the original one is, you'd have to find out the manufacturer and look up the datasheet.