AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th January, 2003, 08:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Asus CUBX-E. Time flies.

The Asus CUBX-E, maybe the last of the i440BX's? Until I defected to the AMD side of the road, this was "it" in the mainboard department. The i810 and i815 had worse Memory benchmarks, if only by a hair. The built-in Promise ATA-100 Controller brought the ability to run ATA-100 HDD's. And there are four IDE connectors in the board.

I have a CUBX-E and a S-370 Celly 366 that runs very cool at 550 Mhz, at stock voltage. It should, this is a hand picked CPU that cost a lot. These numbers sure look archaic!

Is there a charity that would get some benefit from this board and processor? No, not your personal charity!
Old 4th January, 2003, 11:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Getting a wee bit nostalgic here, are we Big C?

I know what you mean. I was sad when I had to part with what _I_ consider the king of BX boards (at least for overclocking), the Abit BE6-II. It "only" had ATA66 though, but had lots of features. I'm glad that it is still running along nicely in my friends main rig, sporting my trusty P3E-700 that would do 1001 on a good day. Its just on 933 MHz now, as he didn't want the noise that was needed for 1001 MHz. (Fan noise that is) Heck, he even has my old Asus GeForce 256 DDR, and half a gig of SD PC133 in it...

Ah, as the time flies. Especially for hardware.
Old 5th January, 2003, 07:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yarr you caught me, Allan. Nostalgia tends to get you as you approach nine thousand years of age!

The i440BX was the best chipset for a long time. Intel would have been smarter to NOT cripple the i810/815's memory bandwidth capability. I can't say that SwIntel did this, but I think they did. They emasculated the i810 and i815's memory performance to make it easier to shove Rambus down everyone's throat.

This stategy didn't work well. RIMM's are expensive now, they cost the moon then! So the i440BX got a new lease on life and lived at least a year longer than it would had La Intella made the i810/i815 exceed the i440BX's memory capability. Instead of being worse than the older tried and true chipset.

What a rock! OC'd to 133 Mhz FSB, no problem. Mix PC-133 modules? No problem. Use all four DIMM slots? No problem.

Maybe Intel has built a comparable chipset since then. Anybody think so?