AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2003, 08:32 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

misled :( too good to be true :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3402087184

this page is where i "won" the item via buy it now, there were 2 available. thats why my name aint up there.

Intel® Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin 256K

CPU Specification
Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz Tualatin Processor
Socket 370 Connection
256-KB on-die, full-speed L2 Error Correcting Code (ECC) cache
66MHz Front Side Bus
Intel MMX media enhancement technology
Dual Independent Bus (DIB) architecture increases bandwidth and performance over single-bus processors

anyway after 2 weeks of waiting it finally arrived, all brand new and sealed up. Only problems are:

i cant find much indication of tualatin on the box except for the fact it as 256k on-dieL2 cache, it says 370-pin package, i was under the impression tualatin's had a slightly different pin package that needed a some sort of adapter in order to work on a 370.

the other problem is that its for a 100mhz system bus even tho he clearly stated on the description its for a 66mhz fsb.

im not bothered bout the 1st, its the 2nd.

will this run at all on my mobo as its 66mhzFSB its an al440lx (slot-1 i know but i have a slocket that currently houses my celeron 700).
if it will run, will it run capped at 66mhz fsb? (about 790mhz) or will it detect it as a 66mhz fsb and automatically have a multiplier of about 18.<whatever>. am a bit worried as i might have to ask for my money back but dont really wanna go down that road. its still in its box, in a plastic sheet all sealed up.

any input appreciated

think i need a drink

Last edited by piccoLEW; 1st March, 2003 at 08:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2003, 08:50 PM
Member/Contributer

The 1200 celly tualatin runs on 100 MHz FSB. There is no way it will autodetect its multiplier, and I don't even think it will work in your mobo - especially not without an adapter or mod (the wire trick). You will probably at least need a BX motherboard, like the Abit BE6-II or in that ballpark.

It is socket 370 though - but the motherboard or adapter needs to support tualatins.

Sorry bud. You can probably get your money back as the auction states something that isn't true (66MHz FSB). Its gonna be a hassle though, why not buy a used and cheap BX board and wire mod it and put the tully in there?!

Old 1st March, 2003, 08:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

what is this wiremod??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2003, 09:07 PM
Member/Contributer

You can read about it right here
http://clocksmurf.homepage.dk/TualatinEN.htm
Old 1st March, 2003, 09:09 PM
Member/Contributer

And here
http://www.froggy.com.au/frogge/pepp...uareport1.html
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:09 PM
Member/Contributer

i got a reply from him: as follows:

Quote:

In a message dated 01/03/2003 19:06:36 GMT Standard Time, hiscutt@btinternet.com writes:

will this work on a 66mhz fsb? if so will it operate at the intended speed
-----------------------

a 2nd email replies like this:

hi lewis,
glad to hear you received your item.
the item is packaged the same as any celeron, my supplier does not supply the 100mhz fsb 1.2gb, only the tualatin and the spec is correct as supplied to us, once you are satisfied with the goods please can you leave some feedback
Thankyou for doing business with us.

i dont think he is gonna be happy if i ask for my money back.

whats the name of this board you speak of?

i dont see why i should have to buy a new mobo, albeit an ancient old 2nd hand mobo just so i can justify buying this processor. £49.99 + £5.00 pnp, its a lot of money for me. i've had to dig into my savings in order to pay my CC off... its late night here atm. he avoided answering my question.

i replied with this:

Quote:
---------------------------------------------
you didnt answer my question.

Will it or will it not work on a 66mhz front side bus? Because the box clearly states: 100mhz system bus. In another email you said your supplier doesnt supply you with the 1.2Ghz on a 100mhz fsb. A bit contradictory, if you need proof of this i can scan the box in, take some digital photographs and email them to you. I still havn't unsealed it yet.

Last edited by piccoLEW; 1st March, 2003 at 11:34 PM.
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Lets see what he has to say...

The LX mobos couldn't handle 100 MHz bus, you will need a BX to handle it. Maybe you can find something cheap on ebay?

I think the wire trick works with most decent BX boards, such as the Asus P3B-F and Abit BE6-II or Abit BX133.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 12:05 AM
Member/Contributer

im not gonna buy and mutillate a mobo. im not experienced for that yet. stripping wires? loooks like a bit of soldering needs doing, a lot of fiddly stuff, i dont have the patience.

i just want assurance from him that it will work on a 66mhz fsb.
wheather or not it will work doesnt matter, he has said that he doesnt get 100mhz fsb from his suppliers, but the box states it 100mhz, either his suppliers are lying to him and he dont know it? in which case its stupidity on his part or he thinks im a complete moron with no computing/hardware knowledge. well that assumption isnt far off but if thats the case i want to know if a 100mhz system bus processor will work at 66mhz levels like pc100 ram works in pc66 slots.

<edit>
of course i doubt it would, just that if i have his assurance then i will go ahead and open the box install my new processor and give it a whirl. If it dont work ask for money back.

If he cant assure me or garuntee me it will work (which logically should be impossible) then i will not take the chance and ask for my money back on the grounds it was advertised 66mhz fsb and it clearly states on the box 100mhz system bus.

max. i can get mine up to is 79.2. this is calculated using the formula speed = FSB * multiplier on chip.

first multiplier = 700/66 =
840` / 10.606060606060606060606060606061 = 79.2

`fastes processor speed attainable at present using softfsb.

Last edited by piccoLEW; 2nd March, 2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 02:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Oh dear. AFAIK, some i440BX mainboards can be modded to handle a Tualatin. The problem is that Socket 370 Tualatins use less Core Voltage than the Socket 370 Pentium 3E's and Celeron II processors that came before it.

It's probably not worth the hassle of locating an i440BX chipsetted mainboard. The Asus TUV4X, TUSL2 and TUSL2-C were all made for Tualatins. Trouble is, I can't find one of 'em on Pricewatch.

The Core Voltage that's supplied by your 440LX will destroy the Tualatin. However---it may be possible to reduce the Core Voltage that the mainboard supplies via your Slocket. If you can cut down the Core Voltage this way, the Tualatin will run on your mainboard--- at 66 Mhz FSB.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 04:20 PM
Member/Contributer

yea, im using a powerleap PL ipt3. but i didnt pay £50 just for a slight boost, will be missin like 300mhz, altho bumping up the fsb means i can get it up to 940....

hmm

i told hiim that it wont ruin on my computer.
I feel sorry for him as he already gave me postive feedback, i'm gonna put something good down if he offers a refund, but he probably thinks im gonna put neg down anyway. i cant send him an email saying if he refunds me i will give positive feedback, as ebay will classify it as blackmail.
just tryin to maneuvre him into a position where he might ask to give me money back in exchange. As i havnt opened it, he can re-sell it as brand new.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 05:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

PC's are complicated. They shouldn't be, but with humans... well, you know. To be honest, the Tualatin seller isn't at fault. I understand that piccoLEW must stretch his available funds for a PC to the maximum. I do, too.

The nub of the matter is that homework counts. Intel makes chipset and mainboard manufacturer's very happy(some of the time) because it changes the specs of its CPU's every other month. Socket 473, oops. We meant Socket 478. Celeron II... we meant Tualatin Celeron. Which isn't a Celeron in any way. It's a P3E with a die shrink. Marketing department says "ditch the P3E, yesterday!" OK, we now sell a Tualatin Celeron.

The next time the GAS(gear acquisition syndrome) bites, please ask the board for advise and or suggestions before plunking down those hard earned Pounds. That's what we're here for!
Old 4th March, 2003, 12:12 AM
Member/Contributer

got a positive result:

Quote:
hi,
as stated the item is a tualatin chip @ 66mhz. This is only compatible with a
tualatin board, the packaging is generic. the item is a tualatin chip and
once opened if you find that the chip is not compatible then please return
it, if you do not have a tualatin board then the item will not be compatible!
in this case do not open the packaging and return the item! a refund will be
made to you via paypal, minus charges incurred. please advise whether you
have a tualatin board and we can resolve this issue.

not sure what the charges incurred by him are exactly, but a result nethertheless.allthough i assume im gonna have to pay PnP, cant be avoided.

my reply was:

Quote:
my board is about 7 years old, its not a tualatin board.
I have NOT opened the packaging, so it can be re-sold as brand new still. I assume that i pay for postage and packaging back to you.

is the adress on the invoice the return adress? i.e:
this is good for me, cos i dont have to put -ve feed back now not that i was going to in the 1st place.

only problem with auctions is the better deals seem to go quicker, someone beat me to a deal once, by 2 mins, i shortlisted some hdd's and the one i wanted which was a buy it now, was taken when i came back for it... this was a while ago.
Old 4th March, 2003, 07:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Just buy this:
Its tualatin adapter and its cheap.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S370TUA
As long as your mobo supports a 100mhz fsb it will work.

Your cpu says it uses a 256k cache, that means it is a tualatin. He is wrong on the FSB though.

Btw, use the code TECHBARGAINS to get 10% off that adapter
Old 4th March, 2003, 01:52 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

BR his board wont hit 100FSB Seems the seller is a decent guy offering your money back id go for it and say a big thankyou

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Unhappy i would have done but:

i got another email today after i told him my mobo isnt a taulatin board:

Quote:

hi,
why did you purchase a tualatin chip for a non tualatin board? buyers are responsible for ensuring compatability for the hardware they purchase, in this instance i cannot offer you a refund due to the goods not being faulty, i can only return faulty items to my supplier. you may wish to auction the item on yourself to someone with a tualatin board.

sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but we have a policy of only refunding on faulty goods which is why i needed to ascertain if you had the correct board

i have left positive feedback for your prompt payment

i replied saying the item i paid for isnt what i recieved, and either his suppliers lied to him and gave a false description, or there has been a mistake somewhere. I am not responsible for your or your supplier's mistakes.

when i get another reply i feel obliged to show him these:
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
BR his board wont hit 100FSB Seems the seller is a decent guy offering your money back id go for it and say a big thankyou
Ditto!
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Red face didnt work b4 :/

here is the item description page:
Attached Thumbnails
misled :( too good to be true :(-1.gif  
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:42 PM
Member/Contributer

and the front:

here is the front of the box:
Attached Thumbnails
misled :( too good to be true :(-2.gif  
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Red face and the side

this is the side :
Attached Thumbnails
misled :( too good to be true :(-3.gif  
Old 4th March, 2003, 07:09 PM
Member/Contributer

As the reseller has obviously not sent you the item you thought you were buying (He can't expect everyone to know that a Tualatin is 100MHz FSB, when he clearly states 66 MHz), he doesn't seem as decent a guy afterall...

He has put wrong information in his auction, and he should refund the CPU.