AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2003, 11:16 PM

Any help would be great.

Hello,

Okay, Abit TH7-II Mobo, ATI 9700 Pro graphix, P4, 2.0 ghz chip (v pin mod), liquid cooled.

Currently at a great temperature I'm running an OC FSB at 125 mhz, making my CPU 2.6 ghz. Everything is great. Temperature is wonderful, only 27 C (81F). Well, I can't get it any higher. My voltage is 1.85, interesting part here, I can run 2.5 mhz (125 mhz FSB) at 1.7 flawlessly. I figured if I gave the unit more volts, I could get more speed. This is not happenning.

First off, once I move to the 130 mhz FSB, I get "infinite loop errors" from my graphics card. So, no 3d applications, but Windows boots up fine.

I thought maybe 130 FSB was a problem, so I'll jump past it to 135 FSB, new problems, no boot. BIOS made me change CPU speed and Voltage.

So i'm stuck now, I'm confused, why will it not go higher? It's obviously cooled plenty. Is it a chip thing? How do I know if I have the Northwood A or Northwood B chip?

Lastly, I thought it was an AGP problem. The board supports 4x AGP so, I lowered that to force into 2X AGP. I have the AGP bus, locked at 66 mhz... still nothing...

Does anyone have any suggestions now? I think I've eliminated lack of voltage... I dunno what else to do, is this it? 2.5 is all I'll get? I wanted to get to 3.0 or so

Anyway, thanks for your help... please have some advise.. someone ...

-slipmat
frustrated...
Old 4th March, 2003, 01:54 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Sounds like a bad chip to me :S though i have zero experience with P4's

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2003, 06:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, slipmat!

25% more performance than you paid for. Write Andy Grove and tell him that you were ripped off.

But seriously, overclocking is always a crapshoot. There is no guarantee that any processor will overclock at all. Unless a retailer will sell you a stepping that OC's well, it's a game of chance.

Dunno if this still holds true, OK? Once upon a time, the best Intel processor stepping for OCing meant nothing. Nothing. Just 'cause Jimmy Jones down the street OC'd his CPU to the moon didn't mean that your's(of the same stepping) would run at 1 Mhz above stock FSB.

It's plain that you've put a lot of time, money and effort into the cooling of your rig. Nonetheless, their are no "sure things" when it comes to OCing. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 4th March, 2003, 11:21 PM

Hey.. thanks for the reply, I posted on a couple other boards and recieved the same responses.

I'll be happy with what I've got, 2.5 is good, 500 mhz over 2.0 ya.. i can live with that.!!

again, thank you for putting it in perspective.

I'll be around with new things later on.. (once I get new things to OC

-slipmat

Tags
abit , motherboard