AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th March, 2003, 02:24 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

Dad fried a mobo

Today my dad tried to install more RAM into one of the HP computers we have. Tiger Direct apperently shipped the wrong kind (PC133 instead of the DDR that he needed) and he instaled it anyway. long story short there was a burning smell and now it wont boot. he also got a smaller capacity stick of the right kind, and with that and the old one installed, it just boots into the BIOS, if you exit the BIOS, the computer just beeps. without the new stick it just beeps. Anyone have a clue on what can be done or what has to be replaced for it to work again?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th March, 2003, 03:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Motherboard perhaps? If he booted with the PC133, I'm guessing he had the DIMM all the way in.. That prob means that the socket is blown. And the smell might well be the memory controler.. New mobo might be in order
Old 19th March, 2003, 04:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sheesh. If you ever need ammunition in a future technological dispute with your father, you have plenty!

I'm not dumb enough to try to ram the wrong RAM into a mainboard. And I'm not that swift!
Old 19th March, 2003, 10:01 PM
Phat Spammer

lol cloasters, I've pretty much ended all technological disputes in my house, Im the one everyone comes to when something goes wrong in that area already.

I thought it was the memory socket too. but when the computer boots in the bios it shows a 256 stick in both slots. Thats why Im so confused

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th March, 2003, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hmm. AFAIK, PC-133 DIMMs have two "cutouts" on their bottom edge. DDR DIMMs only have one. Maybe the sitch needs closer investigation?
Old 24th March, 2003, 12:13 AM
Phat Spammer

alright I found a mobo for a replacement.

AOPEN AX4GPRO
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4 socket 478 CPU
Chipset: 845G chipset
FSB: 533MHz
RAM: DDR SDRAM for 184pin DIMM*3 Max. 2GB
IDE: 2 Channel E-IDE Ultra DMA 33/66/100 Support)
Slots: 6 PCI slots +1 AGP slot + 1 * CNR
Ports: 1xCOM,1xVGA,1xLPT,2xPS2,1xLAN, and Audio
Onboard VGA: Integrated 2D/3D Graphic Engine on board
Onboard Sound: Realtek AC’97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: Realtek 10/100 Model#: AX4GPRO

$83 from newegg. its for my mom's computer, so its going to be used for business applications and such.

oh, and some pics too

one of the nice things about it is that it can diagnose the reason it didnt POST if there is a problem, and acctually talks through the pc speaker. dont know if it can handle some dolt installing the wrong type of RAM though.

so what does everyone think?

AOA Team fah
Old 24th March, 2003, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Pat
so what does everyone think?
Looks great, all the bells and whistles. Tell dad to stay away or pay! LOL! (spoken by a dad with really happy fingers)
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 24th March, 2003, 09:59 PM
Phat Spammer

lol, but that would end the eternal cycle, he screws it up, he blames it on me, I fix it, he screws it up again and assumes I didnt fix it right, then I fix it again, it works for 2 days. repeat with a new problem.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th March, 2003, 10:51 PM

Hey as long as he pays, you are getting invaluable experience, huh?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 25th March, 2003, 12:09 AM
Phat Spammer

oh tons of experience, plenty to figure out that some people just shouldnt use anything more complicated than a toaster. although my dad did seem to replicate one from an HP motherboard (heh, you can tell I'll never let him live this one down)

AOA Team fah