AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April, 2003, 08:04 PM

MSI Motherboards?

En1 have good things to say about MSI motherboards?
If not!
What are your 3 favorite boards for a P4?

TIA
PeterDragon
Old 13th April, 2003, 08:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I don't have much experiences with the MSI boards. Sorry I can't help ya there.

But I used an ASUS mobo when I built a P4 box. I freaking loved the thing.

Lot's of options and I LOVED the hardware monitor software that came with the board. It helped me determine that my random lockups were PS related.

There is a function that will allow you to record the voltages while your using your computer. Turns out the 3.3v rail was dropping to 2.6 and NEVER ran at 3.3v, more like 3.1v. It fluctuated pretty bad.
$.02
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2003, 08:42 PM

Thanks Robbie,
Appreciate the info.

PeterDragon
Old 14th April, 2003, 01:02 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Course, I hear the Epox boards are the best!! Now I just need to get one.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April, 2003, 07:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, peterdragon_20!

MSI's mainboards are good 'uns.

Last edited by cloasters; 24th April, 2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 14th April, 2003, 07:50 AM
Member/Contributer

Yeah, MSI make stable boards. Perhaps not the prime overclocking boards, but a friend of mine that works in an online HW store says that the MSI boards are the ones least RMA'ed - they pretty much work, all of them.

Abit and ECS have much higher RMA frequencies...
Old 15th April, 2003, 08:29 PM

I've used the MSI 845 Max and the 845E Max 2-LR recently and didn't have any major problems. The 845E Max2-LR had some cold boot issues that were resolved with a BIOS update. I'm working on a system (putting it together) for a friend that's using the MSI 655 MAX-FISR and so far I've been impressed with it as well. Allan is right about the overclocking capabilities on most of their products. They tend to lack the features that high end oc'rs like to see on their boards. That's not to say that they won't overclock though.
Old 23rd April, 2003, 12:40 PM

I think the best P4 overclocking board out there is the Abit IT7 Max2 V2. It's a little pricey at around 165 bucks, but rarely do you here of any problems. I'm running an Asus P4PE/L which I'm completely satisfied with which can be gotten for about 115 bucks. If your on a budget you can still probably find an Abit BD7II for probably about 85 bucks or so. I picked up a refurb from Newegg for 39 dollars for my kids PC and it's a wonderfull overclocker for the money.
Pny 6800GT
Fortron 500W
Old 28th April, 2003, 12:59 AM
Dog_One

It really depends.

Some manufacturers turn out great boards and then all of the sudden turn out junk. Most manufacturers have a particular product line or chipset that they are really good at. They may also have a record of very slipshot products and then really get their act together for one specific product.

I've been watching the latest developments on the Canterwood boards and surprisingly MSI has a winner and Asus didn't do so hot, which is kind of backwards from the general perception of these two companies. Abit and Gigabyte seem to be on a roll lately as Asus cuts corners and makes some mistakes.

IMHO, read the reviews, watch the forum traffic and ask a lot of questions. Also, don't jump into anything too early. There are good products out there, but unless you do your homework you may end up getting a board with RMA written all over it.
Old 29th April, 2003, 11:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Re: It really depends.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dog_One
Some manufacturers turn out great boards and then all of the sudden turn out junk. Most manufacturers have a particular product line or chipset that they are really good at. They may also have a record of very slipshot products and then really get their act together for one specific product.

I've been watching the latest developments on the Canterwood boards and surprisingly MSI has a winner and Asus didn't do so hot, which is kind of backwards from the general perception of these two companies. Abit and Gigabyte seem to be on a roll lately as Asus cuts corners and makes some mistakes.

IMHO, read the reviews, watch the forum traffic and ask a lot of questions. Also, don't jump into anything too early.

There are good products out there, but unless you do your homework you may end up getting a board with RMA written all over it.
Well said, Dog One! And so true.
Old 11th May, 2003, 09:30 PM

The shipping BIOS (1.1) of the MSI 875P NEO FIS2R will not overclock at all in BIOS, and neither will the updated v 1.2. They APPEAR to overclock, but then you run wcpu or cpu-z to find that nothing happened. This is great if you "bragging rights screen shhots of your board running at 350FSB at DDR700. There is also a problem with CoreCell causing wildly fluctuating vCore with this board under even minor stress. It is so bad I gave up on trying to do a review. There were so many complaints Anandtech finally had to add an update about these issues to their glowing review.

Check for yourself on MSI Forums at http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_serv...06b03ce&page=6 We notified MSI of these problems 2 weeks ago and they still have not even released a beta BIOS fix.

Perhaps this board will turn into a swan eventually, but it is an ugly duckling at present. The commercial reviewers are falling all over themselves saying how great it is - much like they did over the Asus P4S8X - one of the biggest dogs even released. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one - it's a paper tiger.

Last edited by Prometheus; 11th May, 2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12th May, 2003, 01:33 AM
Dog_One

Exclamation Watch the reviews.

Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus
...MSI 875P NEO FIS2R...
Perhaps this board will turn into a swan eventually, but it is an ugly duckling at present. The commercial reviewers are falling all over themselves saying how great it is. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one - it's a paper tiger.
A lot changed in 12 days. Thanks to your initial inspection of the MSI board, I dropped it like a hot potatoe myself.

That was a great heads-up. Thank you.