AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2003, 04:23 PM

ASUS Mobo

Hi all.
This is my first post. I am fairly new to the overclocking scene but I am a quick learner and I am really intrested in pushing it to the limit. I recently bought a new comp. This is my first system that I built myself. I currently have a P4 2.4 (533Mhz), 512 PC 1066 RDRAM, on a Gigabyte mobo. This motherboard is not bad, but it wont allow me to take the FBS past @ 155. I was wondering what would be a better overclocking motherboard. i Have heard that ASUS make nice overclocking mobo's. I want a mobo that supports my hardware and lets me push it to the limit.

I was thinking of the ASUS P4T533-C. Has anyone used this mobo or one like it. Are they good? What are the overclocking options like? Can you suggest a better mobo? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st April, 2003, 11:25 AM

Can anyone help me. Comments would be really helpful. =)
Old 21st April, 2003, 03:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, c0ld_fUS10n!

Where the heck are the P4 knowledgeable people? Until somebody wakes up and offers you advice about this, why not see what you can find by clicking the "Guides" tab at the top of the front page at www.anandtech.com ,
then have a look at www.lostcircuits.com , and www.tomshardware.com ?

As it could be a setting(s) in your BIOS that's hampering your quest for maximum Front Side Bus speed, a visit to www.rojakpot.com can't hurt. Best guide to BIOS on the Web, TtBoMK/AFAIK.
Old 22nd April, 2003, 01:21 AM

Thanks cloasters, I was starting to wonder if anyone actually surfed the P4 forums! =) I will start visiting those sites now.
Old 12th May, 2003, 12:32 AM

I would suggest the Asus P4C800 canterwood board. I just got one recently and I'm very impressed so far. I've been running a 3.06 533 chip, but I sold that and I'm taking delivery of a 3.0C 800 chip tomorrow. I'm hoping I can push that chip to around 240ish.
Old 12th May, 2003, 12:37 AM
AOA Staff

what board is it your running?
Old 12th May, 2003, 01:22 AM
Dog_One

Re: ASUS Mobo

Quote:
Originally posted by c0Ld_fUS10n
I currently have a P4 2.4 (533Mhz), 512 PC 1066 RDRAM, on a Gigabyte mobo. This motherboard is not bad, but it wont allow me to take the FBS past @ 155. I was wondering what would be a better overclocking motherboard. i Have heard that ASUS make nice overclocking mobo's. I want a mobo that supports my hardware and lets me push it to the limit.

I was thinking of the ASUS P4T533-C. Has anyone used this mobo or one like it. Are they good? What are the overclocking options like? Can you suggest a better mobo? Thanks in advance.
There are a rare few that have been able to OC their Rambus boards hard; 155 is a fairly common limit. So don't feel bad about that one, you probably pushed her as far as she'd go.

The new Canterwood (Intel 875P) chipset boards look very promising. Prometheus over at ABXZone.com has done some nice reviews on the Abit and AOpen boards. He didn't have the best of luck with the MSI and he just recently mentioned that he'd like to do a review of the EPoX board.

If you wish to reuse your RDRAM though, I think you'll be out of luck. I'd be willing to bet your Gigabyte board does just as good or better than the Asus.
Old 27th May, 2003, 01:42 AM

Cold,

Your doing batter than I am. My Asus P4T won't go past 150 do to Bios limitations. Although it runs stable at that speed all day and all night. I too am awaiting a new P4C and Asus P4C800 w a 9800Pro. From what I have read, with the right memory, 250Mhz is very easy to do.

I'm just so dam partial to my PC1066

Bobby

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!