AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2001, 04:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"V2" Clip for Alpha PEP-66. Bruddah, I gotta..

The Version 2 clip for the Alpha PEP-66 is a... PITA. The thing must be bent seriously out of true just to get it into the HS's fins. Getting the "swingable" end on to the S370's lug isn't too difficult. However, I still saw a tiny bit of light between the bottom of the HS and the top of the slug. Moving one side of the wire clip a bit on the "swingable" end did the trick. Now there's no light to be seen in the junction of slug and HS.

It doesn't cool a P3E quite as spectacularly as a FOP-38, using a Delta 38 on both HS's. The catch is that I really don't trust this new and stronger clip 100%. Such is life.

The Alpha PEP-66 was the TOL HS available when PPGA PII's were being replaced by FC-PGA P3's. And it was expensive, too. I'm giving my only Slot 1 mainboard to my younger brother for Christmas and really wanted the PEP-66 to go with the Slocket!

Now I'm wondering if the assymetric SK7 clip of the FOP-38 is going to be a problem on a S370 PPGA(copper wrapped) Celly?
Old 12th December, 2001, 11:38 AM
Member/Contributer

I have a PEP66-V2 as well, and it cooled my P3 almost as good as the Glaciator does.

My PEP is equipped with a Papst 33CFM fan. I didn't have any problems with the clip at all. Perhaps you got a bad clip? How much do you have to bend it - could you take a picture or just making a drawing of it?
Old 14th December, 2001, 08:12 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Allan, the two ends of the wire clip that meet more or less within the confines of the buckle side of the clip are about 4 millimeters apart. The ends don't very nearly touch like they do with the original clip. They also don't form a straight line with each other. Instead, they form roughly a 20 degree angle. This "illustration" greatly exaggerates the angle: / \ . Nevertheless, the ends of the clip should look more like this: __ __ -- at least the original clip does!

As long as the clip holds the HS in place.... Dang Intel and its horsefeathers re: "The Pentium 2 mandates the Slot 1 form factor." Buncha balogna! Slockets are a pain, I'm glad that the olde P3B-F is outta here.

I'm stuck with two Slot 1 C300A's. One of which does 450 Mhz, the other is stuck firmly at 300 Mhz--even though it's of the best OCing pedigree! Such is life. Maybe Slot 1 will make a comeback? Doubt it!

Last edited by cloasters; 14th December, 2001 at 08:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2001, 12:32 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm pretty sure they realized that slot CPUs are far too expensive to manufacture, so my guess is that we will be seeing socket CPUs for a long time, until they come up with some new great idea... and after a while go back to sockets AGAIN! LOL

Anyway, this clip thing... does it hold the HS completely level on the CPU? And without risk of it falling off?
Old 15th December, 2001, 01:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, the V2 clip holds the HSF level and square on the processor. However, the box will have to be handled very carefully every time it's moved. Any distance at all! This is a reminder to myself. It's the same with the Glaciator in my new, new, new B box!
Old 19th December, 2001, 03:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Oh yeah, I never move my computer without removing the glaciator first. Its on a slotket (luckily the slotket can be clipped on to the holders on the mobo, like a 'real' slot1 CPU can) so I remove the slotket with CPU and Glaciator when moving the computer... then I don't have to worry about cracking the CPU core - not to mention the fact that the Glac is so heavy, at first I was afraid it would break something!