AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2003, 04:29 AM

Adding Ram

I have a FIC VC 11 mobo with a 1.6 P- 4. I have run with one 512 stick of CMTLabs Ram for over a yr. I bought 2 512 sticks of PNY and the machine refused to boot after installation. What I found is that the machine will not run if more than 1 stick of Ram is installed.

All of the sticks work individually, but none work in combination. Each stick works in any of the 3 banks. The PNY is the correct part #, the CMTLabs has worked for 1 yr.

I followed PNY's instructions to enter CMOS settings and save the settings automatically detected, but it didn't help. There is no error message, the machine either refuses to boot or boots to safe mode.

The FIC manual does not have any special instructions on installing more than 1 stick.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 30th April, 2003, 04:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Does the mainboard's handbook mention the maximum amount of RAM that the board can handle? Nowadays, a 1 Gb limit seems to be widespread. P4 m'boards are often a little less finicky about RAM than AMD's are.

Does underclocking the CPU help? Are there any forums, Q and A articles or newsgroups at FIC's Web site?
Old 30th April, 2003, 03:22 PM

The board accepts up to 1.5 GB. But it won't even run 1 gb. The board is not overclocked. There is no info at FIC's site on this topic. I've e-mailed FIC & I'm waiting for an answer.

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 30th April, 2003, 05:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What OS are you using, Dsherm112? To the best of my knowledge, Win9x will handle only 512 Mb. This isn't much help, sorry. It's possible that this mainboard will only accept certain brands of RAM. This happens, unfortunately.

The latest or last revision of your m'board lists few 512 Mb modules that are compatible. Siemens, Infineon and Panram modules are listed as approved. And certain model numbers are necessary, too. It may be hell to find these sticks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Sometimes RAM that isn't listed as approved works fine. Your board will accept 3 Gb, total. Nudge nudge, wink wink. It may be an idea to think about replacing your mainboard.
Old 1st May, 2003, 12:05 AM

I'm running W 98 SE. Why would the Ram work individually but not in combination, if it's a brand that doesn't work in this machine?

Sherm
Old 1st May, 2003, 02:09 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dsherm112
I'm running W 98 SE. Why would the Ram work individually but not in combination, if it's a brand that doesn't work in this machine?

Sherm
Win98 SE FREAKS out when you add more than 512 megs of ram. I had that problem back when I first started folding. I added more ram and then when I tried to run F@H win98 would tell me "sorry not enough ram avaliable." I was like WTF?!?!?!?!?! So I took some ram out and it ran just fine.

Maybe you can take one of the sticks of ram back and pick up a new OS. Honestly I really didn't want to give billy my $80 to purchase XP Home, but I did.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd May, 2003, 12:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It looks like your mainboard is happy with all of these 512 Mb DIMMS. Whether they'll all work at once is another question, but the prognosis is good.

As robbie noted, Win 98SE will only handle 512 Mb o' RAM. 'Fraid that Win2K or WinXP is indicated. Or, go rad and give Linux a try! It's a good deal less expensive.