AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2001, 02:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigger

can I OC

Ok fairly new to this, I bought a while back an Intel P III 700mhz/100mhz SB chip so I finally am putting a system together for it, but I really want something faster can I OC this chip and my board to get more speed??? I also understand this can reduce the life of the chip ...but hey that will give me an excuse to tell my wife I need another faster one)
any help here for me ?? thanks the board is Asus tuv4x-e the replacement for the cuv4x-e thanks. I also have 4 dimms with 256 each for a total of 1 GIG

also at what temp should I be concerned with my chip??? right now with seven fans I am running 110F but that should go up when I oC

Last edited by Tigger; 10th December, 2001 at 02:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:06 AM
eobard

Welcome aboard.

I think that temp is a little high for a stock setup given you're using an Intel chip and have so many fans. Are you using a thermal paste or just the gummy crap that comes on the bottom of the heatsink? What kind of heatsink is it? Can you put up some pictures of your case or some basic paint program images showing where the fans are and what their orientations are?

You did pay your $20 membership fee right?

(Daniel ~ you'll be getting a check from this person soon, remember my cut )
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:09 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I don't have your board, but I think I can help a bit.

First, heat is your enemy so keep an eye on the temp.

Second, check your BIOS. In the CPU section, look for FSB, and Voltage control. You are probably set to "default" ATM, but if the setting is there, you should be able to set it to 133, which would take you to 933mhz. This will also force your memory to run at 133, so make sure your memory can handle it. I believe the coppermine should run at 1.7v default, so you might need to up the voltage on the CPU a notch or two to get it stable. Remember this will cause more heat generation.

Make sure you have a decent HSF, and good ventilation. If the settings are there in the BIOS, the overclock should be pretty easy. .

Don't forget, keep an eye on the temps.

NO guarantees if your CPU can handle it, but your chances are good. And as long as the temps don't go too high, the "life shortening" shouldn't be a major problem.

Good Luck.
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:15 AM

Boy cant wait till I learn this stuff, I ussaully have always just bought a new system every year or two, it wasnt until this year that I wanted to do my own so most that you said is greek to me, the case I am using is way too small I have already decided to get a bigger case but I am only using 80mm fans two in ternal one for the main comaprtment one for the hard drive and three smaller ones for the upercase when I said seven I included the one for the chip and the one for the power, what should the temp be running?? and what is the max temp before I sould be worried?? thx this is gunna be fun.
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the info!!!! steveI I will try that. My memory is four 256MB PC133 7.5ns SDRAM so it should be ok for over clocking right?? What else can I do and at what temp would you be worried. I am going to have to get a bigger case and get some 120mm fans I think
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:24 AM

hey EO CITM
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:30 AM

So far my new system will be a Asus TUV4X-E MB with Intel PIII 700mhz with a GIG of mem all in wonder radeon 32mb video, Maxtar diamond 80gig HD 16x dvd 24-10-40 W WR drive of course a floppy and a HDD cooler and two more 80 MM fans has any one ever tried to make an external refrigeration system for cooling or is this going over board??
Old 10th December, 2001, 05:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger
has any one ever tried to make an external refrigeration system for cooling or is this going over board??
I know someone who has, and others use watercooling... but in this case it would be overkill.
Old 11th December, 2001, 06:48 PM

Welcome Tigger

As far as cooling goes, You should not need anything as drastic as Refridgeration . A good Heatsink/Fan combo, some thermal paste and good ventilation should do you just fine. I am currently running a Celeron 700@875 and it runs at about 24C under full load.

I do not have a board that I can change the FSB or Core voltage so I use a program called CPUCool to change the FSB. As long as you know the model of your PLL chip, that's the one that generates your FSB, you can change the FSB in Windows.

If you need help or want to know where to find some good tutorials on Beginner overclocking PM me and I will shoot you some links.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+(1.47)@2200+(1.75)
MSI K7T266 Pro v2.0 - RU
512Mb Kingston PC2100 DDR
MSI GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64Mb
SoundBlaster Live Value
Acer 10x8x32 CD/RW
Pioneer 10x DVD
Watercooled 226Watt TEC cooling Processor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 01:42 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
So far my new system will be a Asus TUV4X-E MB with Intel PIII 700mhz with a GIG of mem all in wonder radeon 32mb video, Maxtar diamond 80gig HD 16x dvd 24-10-40 W WR drive of course a floppy and a HDD cooler and two more 80 MM fans has any one ever tried to make an external refrigeration system for cooling or is this going over board??
[speaks softly and carries a big stick ]
Have you thought about an Athlon XP system? Might be a bit less expensive and better performing. Better get that flame-retardant suit on

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 12th December, 2001, 02:28 AM

Hey thanks pony, ok I have heard about thermal paste what is the best and where do I get it??
Old 12th December, 2001, 03:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Hey thanks pony, ok I have heard about thermal paste what is the best and where do I get it??
artic silver 2 or artci alumina
you can get it here
www.crazypc.com or alot of other places....
XP 1800+
[color]