AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.46 average.
Old 21st November, 2013, 07:39 AM

Hard to beat honesty (I'm certainly no writer !) Will have to check reviews on the latest entry. Am a little turned off from the Hollywood tendency to revisit previous hits -- am not much a fan of the popular response. Then again, I'm not trying to derive an income from it! I've been tending towards earlier horror films recently, but then, I'm a Hammer fan, what can I say !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st November, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2013, 10:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hollywood keeps reproducing money making tales again and again. Not just Hollywood, they're all doing it everywhere. I guess a good story is hard for us to resist. Hammer made good noir as well, iirc.
Old 23rd November, 2013, 06:10 AM

Hammer Film Productions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Let Me In" and "Lady In Black" were well received, though the original "Lady In Black" is the better find. Not sure about "The Resident", think I'll check it out! Read comments on the new "Hunger Games" entry on Rotten Tomatoes and looks like a winner !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2013, 11:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"The Man of Steel" rated 100% at Rotten Tomatoes. Perhaps they're right, I couldn't believe that Our Hero waited until the very end of the 2+ hour epic to kiss Amy Adams.
Old 25th November, 2013, 04:15 AM

Ah, thanks for the tip! I've seen the title floating around but didn't take it seriously -- will check it out. (Still fond of the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder version.)

I'm seeing some good reviews for "Dredd" (no, not as good as you reported for "Man Of Steel"). However, despite the low opinion levied upon the Sylvester Stallone/Diane Lane "Judge Dredd" (1995), I truly enjoy it -- to me, an under-appreciated pleasure. It would seem "Dredd" is more true to the source "animated novel", but also more intent on violence and effects. Plan is to acquaint myself with the Karl Urban version, better or worse -- at least for me?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 25th November, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 26th November, 2013, 11:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's definitely different from the Reeve(sp?) and Kidder lollapaloosas. Not better, but different. There are more improving ways to take care of two hours. Remembering the "bicycle" generators of WWII coast watcher renown, I wonder if you could power a PC with one of them? Less weight, tastes great?
Old 27th November, 2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Reeve(sp?)
Stephen L. Reeves was the sword & sandals actor especially known for his role as Hercules. George Reeves played Superman on a TV series in the 50's. Christopher D'Olier Reeve played Superman in the 90's film productions.
Christopher Reeve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure I've previously heard of bicycle generators used to power communications in WW II. Perhaps I have but don't remember? (Does seem vaguely familiar.) This article refers to the Australian and island watchers. Did the U.S. watchers also use this?
New Page 1
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 27th November, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 28th November, 2013, 05:01 AM

Happy Thanksgiving -- my very best to all!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 28th November, 2013, 04:52 PM

Hugely popular is the Macy's Parade this Thanksgiving Holiday. Perhaps more important is the difference between the death of a child and the possibility of ongoing life. We as both people and individuals have a voice in the welfare of children. Adults continually sway one way or the other, but the children tend to be victims of the whole! Bottom line is adults tend to be chidren in their psychology, but that's not the best way to protect real children! Perhaps we as "adults" are too focused on self, but surely for the children, a higher standard can be set!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 29th November, 2013, 12:01 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

May all humans soon exhibit a higher standard of standards.
Old 29th November, 2013, 05:05 PM

Child that I am (at least in often psychology), I've spent a sizable portion of the last couple days investigating Black Friday sale possibilities. I've little doubt my continued PC efforts will benefit, but to hope for anything beyond that is more than callow! Here's a hoist to my fellows on this and like threads. Tomorrow is another day and I, like many others, piss away the possibility. Can we be more than we find ourselves, surely yes, but is it likely, unfortunately no!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 1st December, 2013, 12:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Just saw Children of Men starring Clive Owen. Holy crap, it's a very good movie! Rates a 7.9 from IMDB.com, high praise.
Old 1st December, 2013, 04:07 AM

Yes, a remarkable film, no light viewing. I bought the HD DVD some years back and have watched just twice, it's a film that tends to haunt and there's just no need to refresh often. An incredible exercise of imagination that occurs as frighteningly believable.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 2nd December, 2013, 09:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A very well done film, kudos to those at the helm of that production.
Old 3rd December, 2013, 09:23 AM

Of course, for more relaxed viewing, there are gems such as "Sand Sharks" (IMDB 2.7). Great fun !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 5th December, 2013, 01:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Sharknado," I haven't seen it, mebbe it's good enough for consideration? Bought an inexpensive box of "50 Mysteries," only a few of the bunch worth watching. Peter Lorre as "Mr Moto," quite amusing.
Old 5th December, 2013, 04:08 AM

"Sharknado"? Cool -- downloading it even as I type, all of IMDB 3.4 (higher than "Sand Sharks" )!

I picked up box sets of Sherlock Holmes (both Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett). Also picked up a number of Charlie Chan episodes. I enjoy mysteries -- used to enjoy watching PBS "Mystery", last host I remember was Diana Rigg (of "Avengers" fame).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 5th December, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 6th December, 2013, 11:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Basil Rathbone will probably always be the definitive Sherlock for me. I can't fault Jeremy Brett, but draw the line at that American imposter Robert Downey Jr--what a supreme embarrassment! Who DARED cast him as Sherlock? One can only hope for a fate worse than death for that/those idiot/s.
The problem with inexpensive collections is the high level of dreck, but the packaging is usually awful too. It's nearly mandatory to touch the disk while handling them, bad show.
Old 8th December, 2013, 10:55 PM

Rathbone and Bruce are to me the definitive Holmes and Watson. I understand the sensibility that the character Watson makes out poorly compared to what's written (I've read the Doyle adventures beginning-to-end at least twice), but the film series works well (no, not excited about the WWII episode -- clearly a trope to current events, but that's just one)!

Jeremy Brett also provided a good representation of Sherlock and as a TV series, I think should be well respected. However, all others, and to be sure, the "modern" attempts, fall short. Still, I can understand the producers not feeling they can keep producing the very same thing indefinitely. But surely, they can find some new ideas for something entirely different? Is it really necessary to revisit that which has previously been done very well?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 8th December, 2013, 11:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

They tend to make safe bets in Hollywood, money being the lifeblood of entertainment. Not to mention just about everything else in this most material world.
As fear as Brits go, can you beat the authentic
"upper crust Englishmanness" of C. Aubrey Smith?

Tags
case badge