AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2001, 08:24 PM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

Asus P2B questions

I jsut traded a bunch of misc parts for an Asus P2B version 1.10, a Celery 333, and128 mb ram. I have lots of water cooling parts around so I decided to make it a water cooled rig. I made a reservoir out of a 4x4x2 electrical box and fit 2 Rio 180 pumps inside. One of the pumps for the cpu and the other one for the video card later on. The water block is a Danger Den Maze2 and the radiator is a Danger Den cube with a panaflow 120mm fan. I want to get as much out of this system as I can and thats were I need your help. With the stock hs fan I was able to post at 500 MHZ 2.0v but I couldn't really play around with it since I didn't have an OS installed.

1. What bios should I flash? I want one with voltage control if I can. I don't think the board has jumpers for voltage so I may have to solder up a potentiometer to the voltage regulator if I can find a spec sheet on it. BTW the voltage regulator is an HIP 6019GB.

2. Is there a way to increase the IO voltage on this board?

3. Thoughts on cooling the northbridge? Will it help much on the old BX chipset?

4. What newer processors can the P2B version 1.10 support? I know it will work with older p3s but what about a Taulatin in a slocket? It would be nice to put a 1-1.2 GHZ celeron in a slocket but I don't think its compatible.

This project is soely for fun so I'm willing to try about anything I can to get the last bit of speed out of this system. I think I'll even try sticking the radiator out the window since its almost freezing outside. Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com

Last edited by Bender; 21st December, 2001 at 09:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December, 2001, 07:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

1. bx2i1012.zip

2. The VIO is 3.3v. Relax, this really means 3.45v.

3. Cooling the North Bridge becomes necessary at faster than 133 Mhz, FSB.

4. A Tualatin on a Slocket doesn't work with any 440BX mainboard, to the best of my knowledge. You'd fry the CPU. These puppie's VRM is way before version 8.x.

CII's and P2B's are a confusing subject for me. According to Asus, you needed the last revision of the mainboard, as well as the latest BIOS. All the same, many folks reported runnning CII's successfully on earlier rev's of the mobo. The "Tualacelly" is one heck of a processor, but I'm pretty sure that they'd die instantly on any 440BX.

In days of yore, the only way to select a Core Voltage other than the default detected value of 2.0v for the original Slot 1 Celerons was to break combinations of solder traces leading away from the VIO pins on the bottom of the PCB that supports the CPU. Or, remove the correct VIO pins themselves. The only practical choice in "modded" Vcc values was 2.2v. 2.1v and 2.3v were possible, but this required bridging combinations of VIO pins. In late Neolithic, Og not micro-solder skill have.

Some folks used nail polish or tape to insulate the pins and prevent them from contacting their opposite number inside the Slot 1 "trench." If the temporary insulation failed on any one VIO pin, the CPU was instant toast. For this reason I used a magnifier and a jeweller's drill to sever the correct solder traces on my only OCable C300A, which needed 2.2v Vcc to attain 450 Mhz, Clock Speed. Once the traces are severed, or pins themselves removed, the CPU will never run at stock again.

Naturally, the C300A I bought with a perfect "pedigree" wouldn't OC at all, even at 2.26 Core Volts!

Now that people know how to mod mobo's a lot better than in 1998, I'm sure you can add many features if you wish.

Btw, only one in ten C333's Oc'd to 500 Mhz. You lucky kinda guy!
Old 22nd December, 2001, 09:20 PM
New Member/OES

So far so good, I was able to increase the voltage to 2.2 by blocking pins A119, B119 and A121. 2.0v at 500 wasn't quite stable but with 2.2v I am able to run it at 525 (105 fsb). I tried 550 with soft fsb but it crashed the instant after I saw it read 550. I think a little more voltage and I will be running at 550. Does anyone know the settings for anything over 2.3v? I would really like to put a potentiometer on the voltage regulator so I can increase the voltage but I'm not shure if it can be done on this board.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2001, 12:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

When Celeron 300A's and C333's were the latest thing, the "old tech heads" of that time agreed that 10% over-voltage(more than spec) was the safe limit for the original Celerons.

Were it my processor, I'd back the Vcc down to 2.2v, and not ask the CPU to run any faster than 500 Mhz.

Yes, yes, I posted that I had(and still have) a C300A that wouldn't OC at 2.26v. But I only ran it at 2.26v for three minutes, max. Funny, it never was used after that. I had, and still have a C300A that does 450 Mhz @2.2v.

And still have a S370 form factor C366 that's solid at 550 Mhz, @ stock(2.0v) Core Voltage. It should--it was an EXPENSIVE Celeron.

As I posted earlier, only 1 in 10 C333's attained 500 Mhz. I'd be a little easier on the old girl, but hey, it's your CPU!
Old 23rd December, 2001, 02:08 AM
New Member/OES

Oh I'm never easy on my chips, just look at the 2.25v I am pumping into my athlon. This celeron project is just for fun so I really want to push it to the max. Is there any way to get a little more voltage?

Old 23rd December, 2001, 03:46 AM
New Member/OES

And I'm spent; 550@2.4v is all she will do. All the tinkering and futzing around payed off. Now for the real fun; I'm going to make this rig into my webserver and mail server.