AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st August, 2003, 08:04 PM

Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS

I've lapped all three of my canterwood/Sringdale boards, and this is the last, so I'd thought I'd document it. The rentention clicps on these 865/875 mobo's NB-HSF's are so easy to remove. I've experienced above 300FSB speeds in each case I've done this. First you'll see the thermal paste is white, that's not the way it came. I've noticed manufacturers using that universal "Pink" material. I don't beleive it's primary make-up is TIM. I beleive it's a bond. It has a rubber like base, and is extremely difficult to remove no matterhow much alcohol is applied. You'll notive I've taken Automotive Sandpaper (wet/dry 330 to 600) and wrapped it around a phillips screwdriver shaft. This is to ensure you lap the NB-HSF evenly across it's surface. You never want to use your finger because you may sand a concave, where contact is minimal or eliminated, in which case you could fry your NB chip; Be VERY careful with the Intel 875/865 MCH. You only want to remove the "blue" coating they place on there. Don't lok to sand down to copper, the chip isn't sonstucted of it. Simply remove the blue coat, untill it's silver, and smooth (only use 600 or higher). Notice in the firt pic, how I "pinch" the NB-HSF clamp's between my fingers pulling the tabs, in and then lifting up, and the other side will lift with some shifting;
Attached Thumbnails
Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS-cap_097.jpg   Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS-cap_103.jpg   Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS-cap_076.jpg   Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS-cap_090.jpg   Lapping the IS7-E North Bridge & HS-cap_073.jpg  

Last edited by Liquid3D; 21st August, 2003 at 08:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st August, 2003, 08:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

http://www.aoaforums.com/ ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!