AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th December, 2001, 07:56 PM
eobard

300a

I remember seeing somewhere that some of Intel's original "post socket7" chips were unlocked. Would the celeron 300A slot chip be one of them?
Old 30th December, 2001, 08:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

not unless it's a engineering sample.
From august 98 onwards they multiplyer limited the chips, this meant they could be run at a lower multiplyer but not higher, then from the deschutes core onwards they were locked.
You can always run it on a 100mhz fsb or higher though or are you having difficulty doing that and thats why you want a differant multiplyer?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2001, 08:51 PM
Banned

Yup, I've used one of them and can atest to the fact it was most definitely locked

Good news is that the core will do 100mhz bus rather well at 2.2-2.3V
Old 30th December, 2001, 09:18 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
not unless it's a engineering sample.
From august 98 onwards they multiplyer limited the chips, this meant they could be run at a lower multiplyer but not higher, then from the deschutes core onwards they were locked.
You can always run it on a 100mhz fsb or higher though or are you having difficulty doing that and thats why you want a differant multiplyer?
I have a chance to buy one at a good price. Unfortunately I keep working the total costs out in my head (motherboard, case, memory, harddrive) and overall I'm thinking it's not worth the cost.
Old 30th December, 2001, 09:42 PM

To be honest with you, unless you have most of what ya need on hand it probably wouldn't be worth the expenditure. I have an old 300a laying around now that I had running at 504 MHz. The only working board I have to put it in though is an old LX chipset which maxxes out at 83 MHz fsb. The HD I have doing nothing is OLD. It's a 500+ Mb, so I doubt if it could handle the high pci at 83 fsb. Can't see buying stuff for this, so it sits and waits until I either have extra hardware from an upgrade or until I run across someone who is in dire need.
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I agree with LutaWicasa. If you have a Slot 1 440BX board and a GW Fab28 HSF handy, why not fire it up? If you don't... Dang, I just realized that I now have two C300A's and no Slot 1 mainboard. Arrgh. A C300A @450 started the entire OC thing for most people. That was a very respectable OC accomplishment in 1998.

I don't exactly remember, OK? The PII 300's or PII 350's weren't Multiplier- locked. Or at least some of them weren't locked. AFAIK, all of the C300's and C300A's were locked.
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:16 PM
eobard

I can get a MU440EX board in Toronto for $50 Can (~$3.75 US) with built in sound and video good eonugh for SETI but I'd need to get memory, case and powersupply. Memory's cheap enough but I don't like the idea of spending a fair chunk of change on a powersupply for such an obsolete system. Then I need a mouse and keyobard, just when I think I've covered the bases there's always something staring me right in the face that I forgot.
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:30 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I can get a MU440EX board in Toronto for $50 Can (~$3.75 US) with built in sound and video good eonugh for SETI but I'd need to get memory, case and powersupply. Memory's cheap enough but I don't like the idea of spending a fair chunk of change on a powersupply for such an obsolete system. Then I need a mouse and keyobard, just when I think I've covered the bases there's always something staring me right in the face that I forgot.
$3.75, eh? Did the Canadian currency devalue itself 10 times overnight?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:34 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

$3.75, eh? Did the Canadian currency devalue itself 10 times overnight?
No, that's about right. It may be off by a bit, but not much.
Old 31st December, 2001, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Will need a network card/modem if you don't have a spare.

I have an old AT power supply laying around, PM if you want it (no charge, just pay shipping)..
Old 31st December, 2001, 12:51 AM

Quote:

No, that's about right. It may be off by a bit, but not much.
Surely you're kidding....or high........or something.
$50 CAN = $3.75 USD ??
This is news to me
Old 31st December, 2001, 01:31 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

Will need a network card/modem if you don't have a spare.

I have an old AT power supply laying around, PM if you want it (no charge, just pay shipping)..
Got a spare network card. As for the power supply it needs to be ATX. I'm just going to let the deal pass me by. It would have been nice to look into Intel for once but it's not critical. Besides, from what I could read online it would apppear the fsb is fixed at 66mhz, no overclocking at all. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 31st December, 2001, 01:33 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by LutaWicasa

Surely you're kidding....or high........or something.
$50 CAN = $3.75 USD ??
This is news to me
I am kidding

So stop calling me Shirley!
Old 31st December, 2001, 04:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Besides, from what I could read online it would apppear the fsb is fixed at 66mhz, no overclocking at all. Thanks for the offer though.
I thought that was the overclockable chip Shirley? lol
Old 31st December, 2001, 04:51 AM

300a Mendicino core... is a good overclocker... my results have all been favorable in the past...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 31st December, 2001, 05:16 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

I thought that was the overclockable chip Shirley? lol
Maybe but with a locked multiple on chip and a single bus rate on board how would you suggest I overclock it?
Old 31st December, 2001, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe but with a locked multiple on chip and a single bus rate on board how would you suggest I overclock it?
Sounds like the motherboard's fault Shirley.