AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th January, 2004, 02:59 PM

Help me with OC options

Hi Folks,

I want to buy a new M/B, CPU and RAM. My intention is to O/C to get more performance from the new comps. I read few articles about Boards and the possible settings to use to OC.

My target is:
P4 2.4 (800 FSB HT) CPU
MotherBoard.... need recommendation as I will be going for 3.2 CPU in about 6-8 months.
RAM.......also need recommendation on this. 2X512 Kingston PC 3400 is recommended on some sites

G/C : I already have ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.
HD: I have IBM 120GB 7200 rpm. I am thinking about going for 2 SATA drives.

My work is mainly 3D Modelling and Rendering

Any help will be appreciated

Happy Newyear 2004
Viper
Old 5th January, 2004, 06:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper66
Hi Folks,

I want to buy a new M/B, CPU and RAM. My intention is to O/C to get more performance from the new comps. I read few articles about Boards and the possible settings to use to OC.

My target is:
P4 2.4 (800 FSB HT) CPU
MotherBoard.... need recommendation as I will be going for 3.2 CPU in about 6-8 months.
RAM.......also need recommendation on this. 2X512 Kingston PC 3400 is recommended on some sites

G/C : I already have ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.
HD: I have IBM 120GB 7200 rpm. I am thinking about going for 2 SATA drives.

My work is mainly 3D Modelling and Rendering

Any help will be appreciated

Happy Newyear 2004
Viper

Welcome to AOA Viper66 and Happy New Year to you!
Conventional wisdom is that OC'd machines are not the best for professional use, where reliability is paramount.

This doesn't mean that you're not allowed to OC your own machine. Just do a "P4 SATA RAID motherboard" search at newegg.com. P4 mobo's are more forgiving when running Dual-channel Memory than finicky AMD boards. Depending on how far you want to OC and how much you need tight RAM timing when overclocking, Kingston PC-3200 may be fine.
Old 5th January, 2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Welcome to AOA Viper66 and Happy New Year to you!
Conventional wisdom is that OC'd machines are not the best for professional use, where reliability is paramount.

This doesn't mean that you're not allowed to OC your own machine. Just do a "P4 SATA RAID motherboard" search at newegg.com. P4 mobo's are more forgiving when running Dual-channel Memory than finicky AMD boards. Depending on how far you want to OC and how much you need tight RAM timing when overclocking, Kingston PC-3200 may be fine.

OK,
How about this system:

M/B: Asus PC800 Deluxe OR one of Abit is a better choice
RAM: Kingston PC 3500 (Hyper DDR 433)
CPU: P4 2.4C, IMO, very good value for money
Cooling: I want to invest in a water cooling kit, havent decided yet which kit !

I read somewhere on the net u can O/C the P4 2.4 to >=3.0 with adequate cooling ofcourse to sustain stable system.

I was wondering the RAM will run OK with mentioned M/B pripor to O/Cing?. Till, I get the water cooler then voila O/Ced Sys >= 3.0GHz

I really need advice about the mentioned comps in terms of compatibilty and max O/Cing potentional.

TIA
Viper
Old 6th January, 2004, 03:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mad old tory

From reading of others experiences (havnt got a p4 myself), the Asus is a fantastic board.
As for memory, high FSB is hwat Intels love, so maybe try some OCZ pc4000 if your budget will stretch
MSI Geforce 4MX440
Soundblaster Audigy
Noname 350w PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!