AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2004, 08:14 AM

Question Can anyone help with a Dell Dimension 4100 question?

Hi,

I've a friend who owns a Dell Dimension 4100 with 930 MHz Pentium III who wants to install a much larger drive than the original 20GB. I understand the machine will support an 80 GB drive, but I'm trying to find out what its limit is. If it helps any, it uses an Intel 815E chip set. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks in advance -- Trevor
Old 11th January, 2004, 02:48 PM
AOA Staff

80gb would be fine - here's an example system with an 80gb drive:
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/computers/pc...review/299344/

It may be worth considering two 80Gb drives. This way he will be able to back-up data between the two drives.
Old 11th January, 2004, 03:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

The type of the drive will be detirmined by hardware where as the size will be detirmined by software.

If you are running Win 98se you should be able to add in any ATA100 drive of 136GB or less. If you get a drive larger than 136GB you will have to partition it into drives smaller than 136GB which can be a pain in the butt for someone who has never done it befor.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2004, 03:44 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
The type of the drive will be detirmined by hardware where as the size will be detirmined by software.
Actually, there may be hw limitations for size as well. Some older ATA100/66 controllers have limitations at 137gb. I haven't dealt with them much so I'm not sure.
Old 11th January, 2004, 04:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Actually, there may be hw limitations for size as well. Some older ATA100/66 controllers have limitations at 137gb. I haven't dealt with them much so I'm not sure.
Since this is an 815 chipset I am guessing that this system is about 3 to 3 1/2 years old. Right around the time of the transition from win98se to winME.

Any ATA100 uDMA 7200RPM HDD of 136GB or less should be a safe bet.

If you want to be absolutely sure then get SiSoft Sandra and find out the make and modle of your MoBo and check with the manufacturer and see what it can handle.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks, guys

The system was purchased in early 2000 with WinME. I've learned that a primary factor is whether the BIOS supports 48bit LBA addressing, which is required to fully access greater than 137GB hard drives. The previous LBA implementation used 28bit addressing.

That would also require the drivers support 48bit LBA as well, of course. Yes, as you say, it does seem like up to 137GB should work.

I hit that problem with my Epox 8K5A2 board. I installed a Maxtor 160GB drive and was forced to mask it down to the addressable space. Since the 8K5A2 is only about a year and a half old (bought mine new a year ago), I'm really suprised I had that problem. Unless it's because I'm running Win98SE.

Thanks -- Trevor