AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2004, 11:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Kingston Value PC-3200 OK for Intel 865GBFLK at stock?

Howdy, friends and neighbors. I'm seriously considering a P4 2.4C on an Intel 865G, yadda. I don't want to OC it, and don't care about the shame and degradation of low performance DDR. As long as the Dual Channel feature works fine with a 2.4C at 400 Mhz(or 800 Mhz, or whatever)like, totally at stock.

Are two 512 Mb sticks of Kingston Value PC-3200 up to the task? It's on sale at the Egg, btw.
Old 12th January, 2004, 11:34 PM
Member/Contributer

If timings aren't of great importance, yeah, Kingston will do fine.
Old 12th January, 2004, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
If timings aren't of great importance, yeah, Kingston will do fine.
If wishes were horses... I'd get matched PC-4000 modules. I think the Kingston Value 512 Mb sticks are 3-3-3. Blazing fast, cough.

Thank you very much Allan, as always, you da man!

Hard to believe it, but I think I'm going P4. Gasp! I'll still have at least one AMD machine, never fear.
Old 13th January, 2004, 01:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Wouldn't you know it, Newegg sold out all of the Kingston 512 Mb PC-3200 sticks while I wasn't looking. Here's hoping that Buffalo 512 Mb PC-3200 modules with Samsung SE chips are just as good!

It's my understanding that P4 mainboards are much more forgiving with Dual-Channel operation than nForce2 m'board's. Fingers are crossed!
Old 13th January, 2004, 01:03 PM
Member/Contributer

I've never used Buffalo, but I hope they work out well for you my friend. I'm looking forward to seeing that new rig of yours when you get all the parts in. (do you have a digicam of some sort?)
Old 14th January, 2004, 01:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I've never used Buffalo, but I hope they work out well for you my friend. I'm looking forward to seeing that new rig of yours when you get all the parts in. (do you have a digicam of some sort?)
SteveI mentioned Buffalo in a thread about buying some DDR from Newegg. Can't remember the details, but I think his RAM was a lot mo' betta than the equivalent of Kingston Value DDR. Fingers are crossed!
Old 14th January, 2004, 02:32 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I have some buffalo tech PC3200 modules they are the ones with the windbon CH5 chips. I can't really tell you how well they work though. They are in my wifes machine and she doesn't want it overclocked. She wants MAX stability. So they are running in sync at 133FSB, but the timings are set insanely tight.

No problems so far.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2004, 04:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
I have some buffalo tech PC3200 modules they are the ones with the windbon CH5 chips. I can't really tell you how well they work though. They are in my wifes machine and she doesn't want it overclocked. She wants MAX stability. So they are running in sync at 133FSB, but the timings are set insanely tight.

No problems so far.
Thank you for the vote of confidence, Staz. SteveI did mention Winbond CH5 memory chips, come to think of it. These are Samsung SE chips on a six layer PCB made in Taiwan. Dunno where the Korean mem chips are mated with the Made in Taiwan board. That part shouldn't be so important. The one and only customer review says that these sticks work great on an Intel 865 mainboard. Better, he changed the default 3-3-3 SPD setting to 2.5-3-3, no sweat.
Old 14th January, 2004, 05:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I just checked and her timings are 2-2-2T-6.

Since the FSB is at 133, better to run RAM sync with tight timings than to run async. (At least with an AMD platform)

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2004, 06:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I've been running Corsair XMS3500 at 2-2-2-4 for several months running at 200. I have 3 machines with the same stuff and my friend also has 3 with the same results. Corsair is expensive, but it might be worth it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 15th January, 2004, 07:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
I've been running Corsair XMS3500 at 2-2-2-4 for several months running at 200. I have 3 machines with the same stuff and my friend also has 3 with the same results. Corsair is expensive, but it might be worth it.
For OCing, Corsair seems to be the very best. This will be a lowly scrivener's machine, stock is just fine. Read an article about Dual-Channel RAM recently. Looks like it's nine parts hokum and one part better performance. For AMD as well as Intel.

If you can't live without the small boost in performance that Dual Channel RAM gives you, then it's worth the expense.
Old 16th January, 2004, 07:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I discovered that the Samsung memory chips I'm getting are i865 approved by Intel. Let's hope the fact that they're soldered on boards from Taiwan in Japan doesn't mess up the equation.

After reading that one Intel 865GBFLK was a lemon, I'm leaning toward an Asus P4P800 Deluxe instead.

I've bought many Asus m'boards. The last nForce mainboard from Asus I have died. Tsk. Decisions...
Old 10th February, 2004, 07:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The P4P800 DX with a P4 2.4C and the Buffalo cheapskate's DDR with Samsung memory chips is running fine in Dual Channel. At stock of course. Me so happy, this new box moves right along!