AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2004, 10:47 AM

Abit IC7-G help

Hi,
I finally got my sys,
P4 2.4C
Abit IC7-G
Corsair XMS pro 4000

Can someone guide me onto how to start the overclocking process, Please?

I tried to change the FSB from 200 to 210, but on saving the bios and rebooting I get the message:
"Insert Boot CD or system disk"
I dont understand what is going on.....
arrrrrrrrrrrrgh, Please Help

TIA
Viper
Old 29th January, 2004, 01:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper66
Hi,
....I tried to change the FSB from 200 to 210, but on saving the bios and rebooting I get the message:
"Insert Boot CD or system disk"
I dont understand what is going on.....
arrrrrrrrrrrrgh, Please Help

TIA
Viper
That message means the system cannot find a drive with an os to boot from. There's nothing to worry about if you haven't installed an os yet, or if you don't have the boot order configured properly.

OTOH, if you had installed everything already, it means that something has been lost. Either the mobo is unable to find the HDD at boot up, or the HDD has been corrupted.

Give us more details... other HW, OS used, etc.
Old 29th January, 2004, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
That message means the system cannot find a drive with an os to boot from. There's nothing to worry about if you haven't installed an os yet, or if you don't have the boot order configured properly.

OTOH, if you had installed everything already, it means that something has been lost. Either the mobo is unable to find the HDD at boot up, or the HDD has been corrupted.

Give us more details... other HW, OS used, etc.
Well,
if I set the bios to the way it was, hence, use P4 2.4C then the sys boot OK. This suggest to me that nothing is corrupted, Am I right?

the only drive I have in the sys is WD raptor 36.7GB SATA HDD.

TIA
VIPER
Old 29th January, 2004, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper66
Well,
if I set the bios to the way it was, hence, use P4 2.4C then the sys boot OK. This suggest to me that nothing is corrupted, Am I right?

the only drive I have in the sys is WD raptor 36.7GB SATA HDD.

TIA
VIPER
forgot to add,
OS = WinXP pro + SP1 is already installed before attempting to OC.

VIPER
Old 2nd February, 2004, 01:46 PM

I changed the CPU FSB in the Bios from
200 to 210, and I got an estimated 2.6GHZ speed. The system boots if u set the AGP speed to fixed, hence 66 I think. Otherwise the system wont boot at all.

There are other setting such as Voltage for the CPU and RAM and a Rate setting for the DDRs.
How can I use these to gain more OCing and get a stable sys.
I am not asking for tomuch 3.0GHz will probably be my limit, I guess !!

Help is appreciated

Viper
Old 3rd February, 2004, 04:20 PM

you need to lock the agp/pci frequency before you start raising the fsb because otherwise you'll run your sata controller out of spec and it will not function. once this is done you can start raising the fsb slowly and checking for stability. if the system becomes unstable before you've reached your desired overclock you can always give the processor a little extra voltage, but be sure you have good cooling if you're going to try this.
Old 3rd February, 2004, 05:26 PM

I have a thermaltake S-94 copper heatsink cooled by a Delta fan which output 110CFM.

So, to be safe I also have a heat sensor prob installed under the CPU to get a close proximity temp; the one that comes with the ThermalTake 2000A case. Although comparing the temp to the one reported by Hardware doctor software that comes the M/B, the reading is not the same. Which shall I trust I wonder?
Also, What r the safe temps to operate within. And I ve read that OCing over the CPU limits cause the system to hang, hence no damage can occur to the CPU of the DDRs.

Hope I am playing safe ...........!!!!!

Thanks for helping
Viper
Old 5th February, 2004, 07:16 PM
AOA Staff

A correctly installed temp probe should give a more accurate reading than the built-in sensor. What readings are you getting anyhow?

OCing in itself shouldn't damage a CPU. But, in order to OC higher, you may want to increase the voltage to the core. Personally I am happy up to 1.85v with air cooling. The extra heat resulting from a voltage increase can shorten the life of the CPU.

I keep my CPU temp to a max of about 50C when under load. Only temps of 100C or higher are dangerous.

Your board will have a 'PC Health' feature which is configurable via the BIOS. This will hopefully shut down the CPU very rapidly should the temp reach max limits.

You will want to monitor CPU temps whilst the system is idle and whilst it is under load. Use a CPU burner utility to put the system under load, these can be downloaded from AOA Files.

Don't start up any applications whilst testing your system for stability - use utilities for this. Disable any AV software before you start. If your system becomes unstable whilst running apps or AV software file corruptions may occur. This can happen anyhow because there are always windows processes running in the background. So always make slight increases only and thoroughly test the system each time.