AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th February, 2004, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Memory Dilemma

Ok, here is my dilemma:

My Currect setup for my main rig can only run a maximum memory speed of 208MHz, as stated on the POST screen when the computer boots up. (sad, isnt it?)
I Currently have memory that is rated for 433MHz. Seeing as i cant achive that kind of speed, even with the largest fsb/dram divider i have (3/4), i want new, slower memory, and more of it, at least 1GB or maybe even 1.5GB.
I would prefer that this memory be CAS 2, but CAS 2.5 is fine also.

So, I am going to decide between PC2100 and PC2700 memory modules. BTW, i dont have dual-channel capabilities.

What is the maximum speed that PC2100 memory can run at?
I know that PC2700 runs at 333MHz.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions of what type (corsair, kingstion, etc.) of memory i should get?
Old 24th February, 2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
I Currently have memory that is rated for 433MHz.

It actually runs at 433/2 = 216mhz

Primary- P4c 2.8- Epox 4PCA3+ ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Corsair HydroCool 200 Corsair and Koolance PC2-601 Case
1024MB DDR400 XMS3200LL WD 36.7gb 10,000rpm RAPTOR HD -
WD 200gb 7,200rpm HD- Win XP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2004, 08:29 PM

Oh ya, if you do buy anyting, get Corsair. It is the best there is.

Primary- P4c 2.8- Epox 4PCA3+ ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Corsair HydroCool 200 Corsair and Koolance PC2-601 Case
1024MB DDR400 XMS3200LL WD 36.7gb 10,000rpm RAPTOR HD -
WD 200gb 7,200rpm HD- Win XP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2004, 11:51 PM
Member/Contributer

so the spped that POSTs in the BIOS, is that the speed/2 or is it the full speed*2 of the memory?
Old 25th February, 2004, 05:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you read the fine print on high-performance memory, there is always a 'Your mileage may vary' disclaimer. Your memory is rated for 216 Mhz FSB at its default timings. This doesn't guarantee that you will be able to get it to 216 Mhz in your particular mobo.

As for the kind of memory you should get, I had a stick of Corsair PC-3200 value memory in my NF7-S and was able to get it to run at 11-3-2-2 at 216 Mhz and 2.9 VDimm. Their value memory is only slightly more expensive than the cheap memory of the same speed ratings, and seems to offer better value, IMHO.

Edit: BTW, have you tried uping your VDimm?
Old 25th February, 2004, 08:27 AM
Member/Contributer

thats not what i asked.

let me try to rephrase:

Let us theoretically say that 433 or 216 is the maximum speed that can show up on POST:
the speed that shows up in POST, 208MHz, is that what diesel was reffering to as "433\2"? , so 216MHz would be the maximum that could show up on POST, or is 433MHz the maximum that can show up here

*i know that 433 or 216 is not the maximum, i just dont know how else to explain it. *

actually, the more i think about it, the more i believe that diesel is right.
Old 25th February, 2004, 08:44 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Which motherboard is it for? Does the chipset run the RAM synchronous from the FSB or seperate?
Old 26th February, 2004, 02:08 AM
Member/Contributer

Question

im getting a little frustrated here, im having to repeat myself over and over. please look at my first post, it has all the answers to all your questions Aedian

*sigh* perhaps my wording is just a bit too complicated for you guys (tjf_diesel uderstands it though)
Old 26th February, 2004, 04:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

PC2100 is 266 Mhz, which is the 133 Mhz FSB.

Still think you oughta go Corsair or OCZ if you intend to try OCing, otherwise just about anything oughta work that is PC2100. My second choice would probably be Kingston.
Old 26th February, 2004, 08:34 AM
Member/Contributer

if you look at my sig, im already OC'd by 420MHz.

i understand now, pc3500 ram is the slowest i can get without changing the fsb/dram ratio

as far as i know, my Geil PC3500 Ultra Platimum CAS 2 is better than corsair.