AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15th April, 2004, 12:06 AM

Asus P4SD-LA (HP OEM). Tough one to crack.

Hey, I tried forever to find anything on this board and I simply can't. I can't even find WPCREDIT files for the Intel chipset it's running (Intel 865G).

I happen to know the closest retail board to this is the Asus P4G800-V. I'm not sure if it's identical or not but if it were, couldn't I somehow force flash that BIOS to replace the HP one? And before I do that, how can I find out if the BIOS has a safety feature where I can reflash it if it's messed up?

Any help would be appreciated.

KT
Old 22nd July, 2004, 03:50 AM

You can't overclock through the bios, but you can overclock through a Windows program called CPUFSB (http://www.podien.de/).

NOTES:
You must know the vendor and the version number of the PLL IC that is responsible for the FSB frequency on your motherbaord. There are only eight major companies. All information needed to find the PLL IC can be found here: http://www.cpufsb.de/FSB.HTM.

MY SPECS:
HP m470n
3.0E P4 w/ HT (overclocked to 3.3 using CPUFSB)
ASUS P4SD-LA motherboard
ICS 952606 (PLL IC needed for CPUFSB)

Hope this helps

Last edited by slumpey; 22nd July, 2004 at 09:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th July, 2004, 10:43 AM

Hey Slumpey

Ive got a Compaq (HP) running the same board and processor as you.I have downloaded CPUFSB as per your post and was wondering if you could post the settings (Divider? , FSB? , Frequency?) you used to get to 3.3g.My system specs show my FSB as 800MHz, but when I go into CPUFSB fine tuning it lists my FSB as 400MHz.This threw me a bit and being overly cautious I decide not to change anything untill I fully understood what I was doing.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Weedy

System specs

ASUS (oxford-UL6E) 4PSD-LA
P4 3g 800fsb hypthrd
ICS 952606
1g pc3200 DDR
160g Maxtor ATA133
160g Maxtor SATA
LG Multi DVD writer
OEM DVD writer
ATI Raedon 9200
Leadtek DV2000 TV/Capture
Old 25th July, 2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedy-burton
Hey Slumpey

Ive got a Compaq (HP) running the same board and processor as you.I have downloaded CPUFSB as per your post and was wondering if you could post the settings (Divider? , FSB? , Frequency?) you used to get to 3.3g.My system specs show my FSB as 800MHz, but when I go into CPUFSB fine tuning it lists my FSB as 400MHz.This threw me a bit and being overly cautious I decide not to change anything untill I fully understood what I was doing.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Weedy

System specs

ASUS (oxford-UL6E) 4PSD-LA
P4 3g 800fsb hypthrd
ICS 952606
1g pc3200 DDR
160g Maxtor ATA133
160g Maxtor SATA
LG Multi DVD writer
OEM DVD writer
ATI Raedon 9200
Leadtek DV2000 TV/Capture
Wendy:

I was messing around my motherboard and haven't been able to configure CPUFSB properly anymore. I have however been able to overclock using the program called CPUCOOL (http://www.podien.de/). It is made from the same company and found on the same website, but adds additional features. I will list directions for both programs, but I would recommend using CPUCool over CPUFSB...

Directions to Overclock with CPUFSB:
1) Start CPUFSB
2) Under PLL Manufacturer select ICS and Under PL Type select 952606 (leave mainboard manufacturer and mainboard type as the default settings)
3) Once selected, a read note will display at the bottom saying "This PLL has a fine tunning option!"
(You have to alter the Front Side Bus through Fine tuning)
5) Click on FINE TUNING
6) A new box window will open with 3 choices of settings.
(The first one is the one to be interested in)
7) Under the first choice indicated by "Use Frequency "fine 1" in CPUCool", look at the current settings.
8) If a FSB of 400 or more is displayed by default, do NOT use CPUFSB, use CPUCool instead.
9) If a FSB of 200 is displayed by default, you can go ahaed and adjust the settings within CPUFSB to alter your FSB.
10) Adjust the FSB by selecting the +60, +10, or +, option. By doing so, you will change the FSB to whatever you what. To see what the correlating Frequency will be, select FREQ SET.
11) A good FSB is between 210-220. Adjust what you need until you see a Frequency between 3150 and 3300.
12) Once you see the frequency you want, press OK
13) Press Tray and CPUFSB will minimize to your systems tray.
14) After next startup you should see new Frequency listed in your System Infomation Window (Control Panel>System)
15) A FREE program to see CPU info as well as your current CPU speed is called WCPUID (http://www.h-oda.com/)

Directions to Overclock with CPUCool (Better choice!):
1) Start CPUCool
2) Choice Configure
3) Select CPU Clock Frequency (FSB) and press ENTER
4) Choose ASUS and P4SD-LA (as the motherboard and type)
5) You will be prompted with a display indicating what PLL IC CPUCool has matched with your motherboard. It is right PLL IC so press OK
6) A new window will be shown and it will look identical to that of the one found in CPUFSB. It will automatically select the PLL Manufacturer and PLL IC type.
7) Since Fine Tuning is available, click on FINE TUNING.
8) A new window with 3 sets of choices will be displayed identical to that of CPUSFB.
9) I didn't find any problems by default with the FSB setting of CPUCool.
10) Here are my default settings: 27.9375 (divider) x 7.159 (gear) = 200.1 (fsb) ~ 3000.11 (frequency)
11) These are correct default settings.
12) Alter the FSB to reach anywhere betwee 210-220. Press FREQ SET to see what the Frequency will be. You want between 3100 - 3300.
13) After liking the frequency you want, Press OK
14) Press OK again
15) Press TRAY to minime CPUCool to systems tray.
16) After next startup you should see new Frequency listed in your System Infomation Window (Control Panel>System).
17) A FREE program to see CPU info as well as your current CPU speed is called WCPUID (http://www.h-oda.com/)

NOTES:
1) Startup setting FSB with commandline CPUFSB F1 setting the frist tray frequency
2) You should invest in a new Power Supply. The installed factory power supply is only 230 watts and and good one to have with overclocking is 400 or greater. This will give you computer the power it needs to run smoothly.
3) I wouldn't go above a frequency of 3.3 GHz without a good power supply and decent fans.

hope this helps

PM me if you need any additional support

Last edited by Áedán; 4th September, 2004 at 10:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th July, 2004, 09:49 AM

Hey swampey,

Thanks a bunch for the tutorial, I didnt realise it at first but I was using an older version of cpucool that didnt list my motherboard (causing it to list my fsb @ 400MHz),after I installed the latest version everything came up just as you described. Using your settings I managed to get up to 3.3g with no dramas at all untill I tried to decrypt a DVD to my second hard drive at which point my power supply couldnt keep up( pissy little 218w ).
This resulted in my computer thinking that I had removed the hard drive, so after a bit of panic I returned the FSB to normal and re-booted, which got everything back to normal.My shopping list for my next computer fair now include a true 500w PSU and a couple of extra fans.

Cheers

Weedy

Ps How far do you think I could go with a 500w PSU and better cooling?
Old 28th July, 2004, 03:01 AM

Wendy or anyone else using CPUCool/CPUFSB:

1) When using CPUCOOL, are you given the Overclock speed everytime you start your computer?

(There may be a bug in the program because CPUCool sometimes saves the overclock settings ,and if it doesn't, it resorts back to the original clock speed)

2) The Asus P4SD-LA motherboard can handle up to 3.6 GHz.

(If attempting to overclock to 3.6 GHz, make sure you have a good power supply (>400), as well as, plenty of fans)

My Spec's:
HP m470n Media Center
P4 3.0E GHz w/ HT (overclocked to 3.3 GHz)
ASUS 4PSD-LA motherboard
ICS 952606
512 PC3200 DDR
120GB Maxtor ATA133
HP Multi DVD writer 400c
ATI Raedon 9200
Conexant 23880 TV/Capture

Last edited by slumpey; 28th July, 2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 24th August, 2004, 05:55 PM

hey slumpey,

i have the same type of motherboard in my comp. which is an hp a250n, but my computer is clocked @ 2.6ht, i was able to oc'ed to 3.31ghz with ease without hanging or anything, but i have faced 2 problems when i oced it. whenever i shut down or supend my comp it automatically sets it back to 2.6ghz and i tried looking at the cracks on the webpages u gave but it didnt have the cpucool v 7.3.0.0, so i cant save the configs. another problem i faced was my on board sound has been disabled even though it says enabled , should i just buy a sound card (like the sound blaster 5.1) to fix this problem?
Old 25th August, 2004, 10:02 AM

Hey People

Im still having trouble too. I upgraded my PSU to an Antec 480w added a couple of extra fans and am still loosing my second HD (Maxtor SATA) when I overclock. The only thing I can put it down to is that my SATA ports are onboard and something on the mobo doesnt take to kindly to being O/C'd. This is the only device Im having trouble with.

Any ideas ?

Note; I went to 3 local comp shops which all told me that No aftermarket PSU wold fit into any Compaq case and to either buy a new one or give up.Being a Fitter and Turner, I like to make things fit even when theyre not supposed to. So after taking a few measurments off I went to my local comp fair and bought an Antec 480w cool blue PSU. Imagine my surprise when I got home and it went straight in with 3 out of 4 bolt holes lining straight up and only having to remove a tiny bit of metal from the case to get the 4th one in.

Cheers

Weedy
Old 26th August, 2004, 08:31 PM

the only thing i can think of for you weedy would probably be try running your hd through an external enclosure and plug it in a usb/firewire port, it should recog. it there. i did your psu work? i'm planning to get one too but might get the antec 430w true power since it also supports baby atxs, i might have luck with that. does anybody know if the nvidia 6800 (regular) will fit in these cases since the card is really big?

Last edited by freestyle1; 26th November, 2004 at 05:01 AM.
Old 26th August, 2004, 09:06 PM

Exclamation

since these crapaq comptuers dont like anything were doing with them, since hp is hates people toying around with their computers and then calling help support (only a noob would do that), i think we should just change up the case and put everything we have in are current computers into the new case, it might be a little expensive but certainly will last longer (thinking of the coolmaster wavemaster!!)

i have another suggestion for weedy, you could run it externally like i said before or buy a SATA/RAID I/O card and put it in a pci slot. i beginning to think that since we are overclocking the same mobos some options are becoming disabled (like in my case sound), but if you relieve the stress on the mobo not using some of the onboard stuff it might function correctly
Old 27th August, 2004, 03:39 AM

I just noticed that CPUFSB & CPUCOOL have been updated. Because they are new, there are no cracks available yet. I have been using CPUCOOL v7.2.12 (with crack/serial) for a while now and haven't had any problems, as far as, the program remembering my configuration after restart.

Since my power supply is only 250W, I can't run certain programs normally (i.e. media center's audio is choppy when overclocked). Once I update my power supply to Antec 430W (same as you FreeStyle1), everything will run perfectly.

FREESTYLE1:

My audio does the same thing. It's because of our factory installed power supply. Once a better power supply is installed everything should work normally.

I don't have any direct links to CPUCOOL v7.2.12, since a newer version has come out. I'm sure it can be located on the internet. A crack can be found at www.freeserials.com, www.cracks.am, or any other crack website.

Last edited by slumpey; 6th September, 2004 at 03:54 AM.
Old 29th August, 2004, 12:20 AM

does anybody know if the nvidia 6800 will physically fit in this motherboard? since the card is kinda big?
Old 4th September, 2004, 09:37 AM

hey slumpey

i have had trouble locating cpu cool version you have, can you send me an email or so
i am in need of this version pleasseeee!!!
Old 5th September, 2004, 12:38 AM

Hey Freestyle,

Try this link http://www.hf.com.ru/content/view/891/

Cheers

Weedy
Old 5th September, 2004, 05:54 PM

thanks weedy,

i had a comment to make, does anybody's cpu become heated up while overclocking? my temps at idle are at 47 C and at full load at 58~60 C (like while playing UT2004). i know that the max temp that it can go is 75 C, but that is pretty hot! i wanted to get the zalman copper heatsink off of newegg.com but when i saw the actual size of the heatsink at a retail store i was skeptical that it would fit inside. is there certain specifications for heatsinks in micro-ATX boards. I want to get this, a 430w psu, and a geforce 6800, so i can overclock my cpu to 3.6ghz.

thanks
Old 5th September, 2004, 06:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

CPU temp changes according to the instruction mix that is being executed, and whether or not the CPU is being idled. Windows contains special code that puts the CPU to 'sleep' when there is no code being executed. This helps keep the temp down.
Old 5th September, 2004, 09:44 PM

Question help --hp 2.4c to 3.4 ghz for constant use?

im new to overclocking any help appreciated - got a hp 2.4c w/ 7 fans 4 on controls i am up grading my psu to 350w plus and going for 220-230 bus speed -- i have only pc2700 ram 2x512. do i need some pc4000 plus ram? or can i turn the heat up on the pc2700 whats its max? i m looking for constant use of this so is 3.2-3.4 ghz too much to ask -- what if i add water cooling--- -ps -i have the manual for the dragon (p4sd-la) board emailed from hp free got to be nice. hehe its no help
Old 6th September, 2004, 06:01 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The max FSB for the RAM really depends on what RAM you have. However, it's pretty safe to say that PC-2700 won't do it, because that is 166 MHz FSB clock, and you are looking to exceed that by almost 50%. You will need to upgrade to AT LEAST PC-3200 to achieve what you are looking for.

I don't have any personal experience of OCing the P4, but what I've heard suggests that 3.0-3.2 GHz wouldn't be out of the realm of reason with some decent cooling.

Do I understand correctly that you have an HP mobo? If so, I HIGHLY doubt you will have the necessary BIOS options to be able to OC the board. Have you checked?
Old 7th September, 2004, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
The max FSB for the RAM really depends on what RAM you have. However, it's pretty safe to say that PC-2700 won't do it, because that is 166 MHz FSB clock, and you are looking to exceed that by almost 50%. You will need to upgrade to AT LEAST PC-3200 to achieve what you are looking for.

I don't have any personal experience of OCing the P4, but what I've heard suggests that 3.0-3.2 GHz wouldn't be out of the realm of reason with some decent cooling.

Do I understand correctly that you have an HP mobo? If so, I HIGHLY doubt you will have the necessary BIOS options to be able to OC the board. Have you checked?
I dont necessarily agree. Before I upgraded my memory by adding 2X256MB kingston PC3200, I was able to overclock my processor to 3.31 from a 2.6 on REGULAR FACTORY RAM (512MB PC2700). Rothrock, read slumpey's directions in CPU COOL. You should be able to overclock your processor considering its a 2.4c which ocs well.

So follow these directions first:
-Download cpu cool 7.2.12 ( right now there is only 7.3.0.0, i can email u the old version file)
-identify your mobo, Ram, psu if you havent done so already
-buy a bigger psu if you can try getting the antec 430watt for example from newegg.com for $69
-YOU probably wont get processor speed of 3.2-3.3 if youre bus is 220-230 using x 13 multipliers. (i have a 2.6c overclocked to 3.31 and my bus speed is 254 using x13 multipliers)
-definately use BETTER COOLING, this is extremely important so you dont fry your chip.
-download CPUID to see what your processor is at.
-getting a 2.4 to a 3.2-3.4 might be difficult but can be done with proper cooling and psu. (i can only go to 3.31 with a pissy 250watt psu)

OHH yeah, hp does not have ocing utilities in its bios, you have to overclock using CPU COOL (identify all parts first!!!)

Shuttle SN26P Nforce 4 SLI
AMD Opteron Denmark 175 Dual Core
Corsair XMS 1024MB DDR PC3200XL
Evga 7800GT Copper Edition
Western Digital 250GB NCQ SATAII 16MB CACHE
NEC 3540A
Old 8th September, 2004, 05:50 AM

Exclamation

weedy this question is for you

did your new power supply work, i am eager to know. does everything fit and work fine now since you have changed the psu.

CAN HP PSUs BE CHANGED AND STILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY?!!!!!!!!

Shuttle SN26P Nforce 4 SLI
AMD Opteron Denmark 175 Dual Core
Corsair XMS 1024MB DDR PC3200XL
Evga 7800GT Copper Edition
Western Digital 250GB NCQ SATAII 16MB CACHE
NEC 3540A