AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th May, 2004, 10:34 PM

Prescott Running Temps

Hi!

Ive got a friend who has recently built a system with a prescott cpu. Now as well as having problems setting up hit new SATA drive, he has noticed that in his bios his CPU tempratures are reading as 75C hand rising. This seems to me to be very high. But i dont know too much about Prescotts and the system he is using. Whats the normal temp for these CPU's? and could there be a problem with his motherboard readings?

Heres his specs:

Prescott 3.0
Gigabyte 875P
1 gig DDR400
3 case fans

Thanks a lot!
Old 21st May, 2004, 10:45 AM
EPoX Tech

For Prescott temperatures are very very high - but that does seem a little more than one would expect - is that using Intel HSF for Prescott ?

Make sure the case fans aren't causing turbulence and actually do create a flow of air too.
Old 22nd May, 2004, 06:09 AM
perc

i hate to say it man but its about right. what cooling is your friend using? i would strongly recomend he pay strict attention to his cooling. these prescotts seem to run hott even when using the defualt v-core and no ocing. i have one my self and its cooled by a mach1 and my temps are 4.5c which may seem good but mind you anyother cpu would be around -9/-12c under a load where as this thing is 4.5c under a load! i dont even want to know what it would look like running air!! now from what ive read 75c isnt uncommon but i would deff make sure your friend has good contact with the chip and also make sure the thermal paste is applyed right? also some sinks on the mbs mosfets and pll chips with a good nb sink wouldnt be a bad idea either since these prescotts seem to put a big heat load on the mb's power circiutry. im sure if you guys just look around at some of the prescott threads youl see what other people are doing to battle thier heat issues?? ok man tell your friend good luck and make sure you guys post your results....

peace perc,
Old 28th January, 2005, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Late on thid thread

Prescotts can run at a hotter temp,but 70ish wtf?Tell him to go get a Spark+7 at least.I overclocked my 2.8 to 3.7 and idle its around 37-40 c and full load 45-50.
Old 28th January, 2005, 03:43 PM
Member/Contributer

At >60 intel's on/off protection thing kicks in anyways, making it harder and harder to get warmer, but less and less effective as a processor, more like a paper wieght. I'm pretty sure theres no risk of damage until 110-130(?) and by then the processor would 1.) throttle 2.) shut the system down. Intel has pretty 'decent' thermal protection. The circuitry is the temps I'd get worried about, esp if you can get the pressy down to low 60's with better airflow or maybe consider a better heatsink, even a cheapie better would drop you 10oC, which IS better for the life of the chip imo
Old 28th January, 2005, 04:57 PM

While I don't have any direct experience with the Prescott chips what brand of motherboard is your friend using? It almost sounds like the mobo is reporting the temps wrong. Also, and this is important in ANY machine, he needs to make sure he has an ample capacity QUALITY power supply. Also as someone else suggested check for turbulence from the fans, and make sure the airflow in and out of the case is balanced.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 05:42 PM
Member/Contributer

dolanenwindrift makes a valid point about the bios possibly being mistaken. But intels thermal protection is seperate from the bios and will kick in regardless, so I would download throttlewatch from the files section here and take a look if and how much your cpu is throttling back during these high temps
That temps is much higher than I would expect to see unless you have a really high room temp though

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2005, 06:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Does the HSF supplied with the Retail version of the LGA 775 3.0 Ghz P4 do a good enough job when you run this CPU at stock? I have about 100 cfm going through my case in a shipshape and Bristol fashion.
Old 3rd February, 2005, 08:36 AM
EPoX Tech

The Intel LGA775 cooler has only one problem - difficult for some people to fit.

Other than that as with many recent Intel stock coolers - it is excellent.
Old 3rd February, 2005, 05:21 PM
Member/Contributer

yea, i've been impressed with the size and look of intel's cooling fans. BTW I highly doubt anyone would ship a product that is insufficient at doing its job...at least in the computer business.
Old 3rd February, 2005, 05:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The original prescotts (new at the time this thread started), definitely ran much hotter. I tested one out this spring, and the temps shot up to the mid 60's way too easily. I went back to my northwood. More recently, I tried a new prescott (D0), and with the same mobo & HSF, the same voltage and about 300mhz faster, the new prescott runs about 10c cooler.

Also, I'm surprised that I found no mention of the HSF install. Whenever the CPU temp seems to high, the first thing that should be done is reinstalling the HSF... You never know. I've installed hundreds of HSF (sometimes the same one over and over again), and there are many ways to screw it up... I think I found every one.
Old 5th February, 2005, 07:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The HSF for the Northwood's bend the heck out of the motherboard. It was mooted that reinstalling the HSF of the retail Northwoods more than oh.. four times on the same mainboard would kill that mobo.

Now I read that the HSF for the Prescott's is difficult to install correctly? Just my luck. Where should I go to find the best how-to? Thank you good madames and sirs!
Old 6th February, 2005, 05:26 PM
EPoX Tech

The instructions in LGA775 retail processor packages and their mainboards such as the 5EPA+ for example are very helpful in this area.