AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2004, 07:02 PM

Mobo install

I need info regarding the basics of installing a mobo. The board came with standoffs, fiber washers and screws. Whan the board is put in the case there are several built in standoffs to make it line up properly. I used the brass standoffs in the holes to raise the board to the level of the built in standoffs.

Where do the fiber washers go? I put them between the board and the standoffs.

The mobo doesn't work and it may be shorting out. The fan spins for a split second and stops. A different psu didn't help.

Also, if I move a primary HD from another machine to be primary in this machine; what do I do to prepare it? I assume I need to wipe out the old mobo drivers. All other components will be moved, so the component drivers won't change.

Thanks for the help.
Old 6th June, 2004, 07:13 PM
AOA Staff

Don't put any paper washers on the standoffs. The board needs to ground through the standoffs. It may still ground anyhow through the screwhead, but I've never used any washers here myself.

Uninstall the mobo drivers before transferring the HD. You may need to use the Windows repair utility to install the other mobo drivers when you put the HD in the other machine.
Old 8th June, 2004, 02:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Actually, you don't want the board to ground out to the case. This is where I have had several problems. The board shorts out if there is a active connection to the case. I always put electrical tape over the standoffs and then put the fiber washers between the screws and the board. This solves all of my shorting problems.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2004, 04:25 AM

I took the washers off the underside of the board and put them between the screws and board and it works fine. I've done about 10 systems and never used the washers before. I guess this board must require them.

Sherm
Old 8th June, 2004, 06:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The case of the computer should be grounded to earth ground through the PSU, power cord, and premise electrical facilities. The common output of the PSU (usually also called ground) should be at the exact same potential voltage as earth ground (this can be verified with a meter set to measure AC voltage connected between the PSU Common output and the chassis). The mobo should be grounded through the screws and stand-offs to the chasis. In many situations, this helps with EMI rejection. It also helps to ensure that there are no hazardous differences in voltage that can cause electrical shock.

If you have a situation where you have to insulate the mobo from the case in order to get it to properly function, you almost certainly have a problem with proper grounding of the chassis resulting in you setting up a ground loop through the mobo and PSU. THIS IS HAZARDOUS and should be fixed ASAP!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2004, 03:08 AM

Yea i'm with gizmo on this one if the bouard wasnt supposed to be grounded they wouldent spend money to put grounding tabs rattound the holes on the board. ALso hows a static wristband supposed to ground the board when you connect to the chasis if the board isnt grounded. Without grounding you could have trouble later.