AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th June, 2004, 02:21 AM

Help Needed...Intel CPU Recommendation.......

I'm buying a barebones intel laptop...heres a link to it.
i would like to know what are my options when getting a cpu for it. am i limited to simply Pentium M or can i use other CPU from intel? if there are other CPU's i can use, please tell me which ones.
this is my first time verturing into the mobile market, specifically laptops and really need some help.
i know centrino's are supposed to run alot cooler and give longer battery life, but thats not an issue for me........i would prefer to just use a P4 cpu if thats possible.
PS. this is my first time dealing with intel stuff.....all i'm used to are AMD, so i really need the help.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...type=Refurbish

Last edited by michealwolfe; 19th June, 2004 at 02:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2004, 04:29 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Nope, You're locked into the M... 1.7ghz max. I wouldn't try anything higher.
Old 20th June, 2004, 05:23 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

When running on battery power, the M will perfrom alot better than the P4.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2004, 12:38 AM

Not only when running low on battery, the Pentium-M is a lot faster than a P4 running at same speed, it's even faster than the A64.
Old 4th July, 2004, 07:32 PM

thanks for the info
Old 4th July, 2004, 11:21 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

The Pentium M (Banias) and the new Dothan version are really good chips. Clock for clock they are the fastest chips i've seen of late. The dothan scales upto 2Ghz at present it has 2mb of l2 cache and consumes just 21W at full load, 6W at idle speeds

They are cracking chips so much so rumour has it the P4 is being shelved and will be replaced by desktop derivatives of the dothan core (updated with higher fsb, dual channel memory etc and possible hyperthreading) Some french site (cant remember link of the top of my head) overclocked a 2Ghz dothan to 2.4Ghz and it was as quick as a 3.4GHz P4 for the most part. Considering it uses single channel ddr333 ram and has a 100QDR (400Mhz effective) fsb its rather impressive !
It also amusing to note in the processor number thingy intel are doing dothans are 7xx, and p4's are 5xx

K

Edit Linkie to o/c http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/c...n/dothan-7.htm

Last edited by keithwalton; 4th July, 2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 5th July, 2004, 12:13 AM

thanks keith for the added info....in about 2 weeks after i'm finished putting together this laptop....i'll post some pix of it and show u all.

PS. i also did a new mod to my tower.....will alos show u all new pix of that as well.