AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th July, 2004, 01:19 AM

Help with overclocking (I think some locked problems too)

Ok, here is the deal you guys. I know probabley most of you are for building your own computers and buying the parts cheaper and then putting it together yourself. I am all for you, but I decided to go with just buying a computer all pre-made and nicely packaged (hehehe).

Anyways, it was a 710G Gaming Computer from Gateway.

I noticed from monitoring programs I have downloaded that not all parts run at the speed they were supposed to. For example, my processor is slated at 3.2ghz...but it actually runs at 3.150. I know this doesn't make much difference, but I was hoping to be able to get all the performance I can out of the nice lil piece of silicon and stuff. So I want to overclock it just a tad bit, may be to 3.25 or 3.3. I bought a new case for it and it has much better cooling capabilities. Mise well use it aye?

Anyways, the problem is I can't change this stuff in the BIOS because I have the impression the BIOS are...dun dun dun dun....LOCKED!!!!

All I can change is enabling/disabling HT

Yes, bad for me

My motherboard is
Manufacturer:Intel Corporation
Model: D875PBZ >>>>>>>
(using CPU-Z it shows this too...probabley model number) AAC27087-301
Chipset: Intel i875P Rev. A2
Southbridge: Intel 82801EB (ICH5)

and my BIOS version is

Brand: Intel Corp.
Version: BZ87510A.15A.0095.P10.0310280933
Date: 10/28/2003

AGP

Revision: 3.0
Aperture Size: 64mb
Data Transfer Rate: 8x
Side Band Addressing: enabled

I don't know if you need anything else to determine my course of action to unlock my BIOS, if you do I will post additional info about my mobo and my processor and such.

I know my BIOS look outdated, but when I try to download the new ones from intel and install them, it says they were unsuccessfully installed when I restart my computer. I follow the instructions, and it still doesn't work. My mobo must be realllllly weird or something.

Any help is appreciate if you can, i'm willing to do/try any advice offered....I have some other problems too that unlocking my BIOS will help with.

Like my voltage to my RAM is 2.5v, and for nice RAM like i've recently got requires 2.6v, and it makes my RAM clock run at 320mhz (DDR333 on my mobo). I don't like that, and I hate to waste the investment. I want to up the voltage on that as well, but to do that...i need control over my BIOS.

If possible, if you have any advice on how to do this through solfware I will love you twice as much haha...yeh...

Thanks for the help!!!!!
Old 8th July, 2004, 01:22 AM

also....

I think another name for my mobo is Canterwood (at least what google says when I type in that code D875PBZ)
Old 8th July, 2004, 01:57 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Hey Rioisk and a warm welcome to AOA.

When I first delved into the world of overclocking, I was in the same boat as you.

Unfortunatly, Intel Boards will not allow any modifications to settings regarding your processor and too my knowledge their isn't alot one can do about it.

With regards to the CPU speed issue, mine was never read at 3GHz. It was read at ~2989 or something like that. When I got my ABit board, it registered it as ~3032. The only thing I can suggest is to flash the motherboard BIOS. This won't allow you to Overclock, but may fix the speed issue.

Swing by here and see if it helps.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2004, 05:28 AM

yea. i am still wondering why frys pushes the intel board in their adds. (Today their add was $220 for an intel board and 3.0 ghz pentium 4.) Its nice and all but I think they might get more form somthing like ans asus or abit board. For those who dont know frys is an electronic supersotre but they have a bunch of electronics stuff. Today i was over there lookin they had like 30 full size cases out and 10 or 15 mini barebone cases. THey had a full reack of fans and planty of pieces. Like every graphics card you can think would be worth buying. But i am just saying this cus a fryes was added to concord a few months ago. Woot!
Old 8th July, 2004, 05:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

you will not be able to o/c with that gateway...sorry, you will need a new mobo.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 07:50 PM

alexkerhead is right. I had a sony oem and i had to make my computer before i could anything with it, that includes adding a sata HD.
ASUS P4P800-SE
SONY D9+DVD+/-RW
WD Raptor 74 gig 10k rpm
EVGA Nivida GeForce FX 5200 w/Personal Cinema
DYNAPOWER ATX case 86B2 w/430 watt PSU
Kingwin Artic Liquid Cooler AWC-1
Artic Silver 5