AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st July, 2004, 12:34 PM

P4 2.8ghz

Hi,

i jut bought a compaq pc
1024 pc3200 ram
P4 (northwood) 2.8 ghz
80gb hard drive
17" packard bell monitor
ATI Radion 9800se

in the bios the fsb is set to 100 and the ram to pc2100
it also says this in aida 32, how ever the memory is rated as pc 3200 and i thought that intel did not make P4 northwood 2.8ghz with a efective fsb of 400 (100 x 28)
i cant find the model of my mobo because the model number on the board, when i type it into the msi product finder it says product does not exists
also when i use a utility that finds onfo on bios it says max speed 2400mhz then speed 2800mzz, the chip set is i845ge it supports a fsb of 533 and ddr 333 ram

Last edited by grimwig; 21st July, 2004 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wanted to change some of the info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2004, 02:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

that is wierd, but those store baught PCs are a bad thing to get..lol

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2004, 03:03 PM
AOA Staff

What's the Compaq model?
Old 21st July, 2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
What's the Compaq model?
this is the machine, however i bought it from a shop called pc world (in the uk) it the 2.8 ghz and i upgraded the ram and graphics card in the shop
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs
Old 21st July, 2004, 05:06 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What's the motherboard? Chances are it's a HP/Compaq special, rather than an off the shelf version.
Old 21st July, 2004, 06:52 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Looks like a stripped down Intel board to me.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 21st July, 2004, 07:01 PM

the board is made by msi however it isnt listed on the web site (usa or uk) the model number when written into "find product" msi have no record of it in there database nor does any of the system diognostic software cant find the manual on the net
how on earth did they get a P4 northwood with a cache of 512k with a 400mhz fsb (is that even possible) and then to have the multiplier at 7. went to intel web site and it does not list is as any of there products that they make so it must be a modded p4 then.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 01:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Intel has been known to package custom chips for Compaq before, because Intel and Compaq work so closely. It might be that you have one?
Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Intel has been known to package custom chips for Compaq before, because Intel and Compaq work so closely. It might be that you have one?
it must be that because dont intel mobos auto detect the fsb settings unlike amd boards which you have to set a jumper for, also all the bois settinings are grayed out and there are no jumpers on the board to change the relevent values,
the board is green when every other board on the MSI website is red (could it be some sort of reference board from intel?)
looks likeill have to upgrade the prosessor as well as the mobo now.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
is there anyway i can tell?
Old 22nd July, 2004, 11:46 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimwig
...looks likeill have to upgrade the prosessor as well as the mobo now.
You never know. Give it a shot, maybe it'll overclock like a mother.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:42 PM

ok thanks,
all i need to know now is it worth is spending £210 upgrading to a new M-AXT mobo and a new P4 3.0 (800 fsb)?
what will be the preformance gains?
Old 30th July, 2004, 02:23 AM
Metal Wizard

Actually a lot of HP and Compaq Intel machines have mobo's made by Asus. Get the numbers off your board and your compaq model number and google it . you will be able to find who made your board there. I did this to find out my wifes hp has an Asus board.

WZ