AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2004, 11:50 PM

Upgrade my machine a bit

Ok, I don't know how many of you are into gaming, but with the release of EQ2 comming out I am planning on boosting my machine a little bit.

Now,

I have a 3.2ghz P4 prescott with 800mhz bus speed, so i'm not worried about processor.

This is mostly about my video card, my RAM, and my mobo.

I am currently using a D875PBZ Intel Canterwood mobo, and it's sort of locked so I can't change RAM voltages and stuff. I know, it sucks. My PC3200 has to run at PC2700 which really blows cause I got some nice RAM. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody could explain a little to me on the impact of RAM speeds and how the PC#### work. Like, I know PC32000 runs at 400mhz DDR, but how much speed increase is that over PC27000 at 333mhz DDR? If it's not much, I don't care about this at all. If it can make a difference (I have about 600 dollars extra money). I was wondering if somebody has a link to a motherboard on a retailer site (or whatever) selling a mobo that supports everything my current mobo does. Plus, if the DDR mhz ratings really change a lot, then I want to move to DDR-2 RAM. Any suggestions please.

Also, with the recent release of the nvidia 6800. I was wondering if taking out my current nvidia FX5950 ultra and putting in a nvidia 6800 GT would affect my machine/be compatible. Also, the mobo I get I want to be compatible with the 6800 GT and i'm not sure excactly the specifications I need. If anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27th July, 2004, 12:17 AM

BTW, I have 1.5 gigs of RAM.........2-512 Kingston HyperX 2-2-2-7 i think? something like that.....and 2-256 Kinston HyperX 2-2-2-7. Did it for duel channeling...but If i do this whole new mobo with DDR-2 RAM...my brother is kindly thinking of purchasing my old stuff (i'll shave 300 dollars off...stuff is almost a year old anyways)
Old 27th July, 2004, 02:00 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

A 6800 will give you a noticeable improvement. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues there.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!