AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2004, 02:22 PM

Buying a Pentium M/Centrino laptop

I'm probably going for the Asus M5601 or the S5601.

They are practically identical except the S is about £50 cheaper, a little smaller a little lighter and I can get it at that price with a 72Watt-Hour Battery (the M5601 comes with a 48WH batt). The only downside with the S is that it has an external USB DVD/CDRW combo drive (although it is very sexy if you look at Tom's Hardware S5200 review).

Trouble is I want to run linux and I don't know if with the external drive I'd be able to boot from CD. I mean is there any way the BIOS would be able to run the CD drive before the OS?

As for driver capabilities with the hardware on linux: if it runs the intel graphics card in full colour at 1024 and it can work the network card, touchpad and keyboard I'll be happy. Not bothered about wifi.

I'm going for Asus because they seem to be quality, these are the cheapest machines at this size (12.1" TFT) and they have a 2 yr C&R warranty. They also all come with a wireless usb mouse and a carry case.

M5601: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=118558
S5601: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=118555

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

So the Centrino feature isn't ready for wifi?
Old 29th July, 2004, 02:26 PM

No I'm not bothered about wifi, it's just the Pentium M core I want since they're supposed to be so good. The key thing is that cd drive and installing linux.

edit:
OK I've now discovered that some modern BIOS's have boot from "USB-HDD", "USB-ZIP" etc options (the most modern motherboard I have is over 2 years old now). Just got to find out now if Asus supports this.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/dforum/forum.cgi?msg=251

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 29th July, 2004 at 02:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2004, 02:27 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Make sure you get a Dothan core and not a Banias.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 29th July, 2004, 03:10 PM

Why? I don't know of any sites that specify which core you get (except one in the US which would be cheaper apart from the VAT and the ~$70 shipping)

edit:
Looking at Toms Hardware review of the Dothan, it performs almost exactly the same, clocl-for-clock, in most of the benchmarks. The battery lasted about 50 minutes longer on the Dothan.

However, the S5601 with the 72WHr pack lasts nearly 5 hours anyway (I'd be looking to secure 3hours generally). At 1.3GHz, it seems these laptops will be banias.

The whole Pentium M design seems pretty clever from what I've read now though.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 29th July, 2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 29th July, 2004, 05:26 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

The increased performance of the Dothan will depend a lot on how you work. If you plan to do a lot of streaming data stuff, the Dothan won't really offer anything over Banias. But if you do a lot of stuff that requires large amounts of stuff to be stored in the cache, it could make a big difference. As to knowing what core, they Dothan cores have different names. Instead of Pentium M 1.6Ghz, it will be called Pentium M Processor 725. For the 1.8Gzh, the Dothan will be called Processor 745. The 2Ghz will be Processor 755.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 29th July, 2004, 08:33 PM

These will be Banias' then. Can't really afford a Dothan and I haven't seen any other laptops this small for this kind of money.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th December, 2004, 04:39 PM

If this is of any interest, I own an S5200, and I run Mandrakelinux on it. Everything except the modem is recognized and working perfectly, but I haven't actually _tried_ to get the modem to work since I don't use it anyway.

The intel graphics have built-in support in the kernel and xorg/xfree, so no need for fiddling with drivers (although if you install a Mandrake 10.1, you'll have to update xorg from Thac or someplace else - Mandrake's version is buggy, and won't give you hardware acceleration).

Speedstepping, APM and ACPI all work great, I have a 24Wh and a 48Wh battery (both came with the laptop) which give me about 2½ and 5 hours each if I just do a little programming and stuff, or about 5½ together in total if I watch DivX movies nonstop (just did it on a long busride, which is why I know .

The Wifi also works out of the box, at least on Mandrake. I tried a Fedora install that didn't enable Wifi, but I read somewhere that it used to, so maybe it has something to do with the Fedora policy.

Let's see... Yes, the external drive works perfectly, you can boot from that, from the included USB stick, or an external USB harddrive. And if the M5601 is anything like the M5200, you definitely should go for the S version, because then the M version blows out its hot air to the RIGHT, that is directly on your hand and that ain't nice when you play Enemy Territory!

I must say though, that my external drive just broke down - it's been acting weird ever since I got it, so I think it's just a fabrication flaw, and I'm pretty confident I'll get a new and better one no questions asked.

I'll send this post to your e-mail also, if you have any questions. (I don't really visit here, I just stumbled upon this doing a google search to see if I could overclock it
Old 19th December, 2004, 04:43 PM

Just remembered... the M5601 has 802.11g, right? Mine has 802.11b, ie. ipw2100 chipset, yours would be ipw2200. Both are supported on the Mandrake kernel, so I would suspect yours to work just as well as mine.

Also, although the card reader seems to be working fine, I don't actually own any memory cards, so I can't test it. But, as said, it is recognized and accepted here.