AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th August, 2004, 04:08 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Stupid socket 478.

I've been trying to figure out why my new P4 build wouldn't boot for the last 4 hours. It turns out one of the stupid pins on the stupid CPU was bent. After I unbent it, it booted up fine. I was playing around with everything. I must have uninstalled and reinstalled the memory about 50 times. My fingers are sore from it now. STUPID SOCKET 478!!!!

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2004, 04:25 AM

mmmm.....bent pins...
the bane of everyone who knows that a computer isn't a case full of magic...
at least the CPU wasn't dead or otherwise useless...
Old 7th August, 2004, 07:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

gotta be careful with 478 tiny little pins bro..hehe..

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2004, 07:34 PM

At least the lg775 has pads, that would be nice for future proccessors.
ASUS P4P800-SE
SONY D9+DVD+/-RW
WD Raptor 74 gig 10k rpm
EVGA Nivida GeForce FX 5200 w/Personal Cinema
DYNAPOWER ATX case 86B2 w/430 watt PSU
Kingwin Artic Liquid Cooler AWC-1
Artic Silver 5
Old 8th August, 2004, 04:06 AM
Member/Contributer

I cannot wait to get a dual core next year, it will have the pads too, and the pads will replace the pins soo for good, thankfully..
I have bent soo many pinss..lol

AOA Team fah
Old 8th August, 2004, 04:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

With LGA sockets, you trade bent pins on the chip for bent pins in the socket. Granted, it is harder to bend the pins in the socket, but when they get bent, they are nearly impossible to fix.
Old 8th August, 2004, 06:25 PM
Member/Contributer

i thaught it was little sproingy thingies that were really hard to mess up?

AOA Team fah
Old 8th August, 2004, 07:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It is, and they are, but when they get messed up, they are near to impossible to fix. That's what I'm driving at. You have a choice between bent CPU pins, which occur more often but are usually fixable, or bent socket contacts, which occur less often but almost always result in replacing the socket (i.e. RMA the board for repair). In addition, the sockets are not able to handle a lot of cpu insertions.
Old 8th August, 2004, 11:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Totally agree with gizmo on this one, personally i think the old CPU pins and motherboard sockets are best! I can already for see a load of RMA'ed boards due to this problem. But i suppose the new LGA method is the "newbie" so im not gonna decide till i get my grubbly badger like paws on one!
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
It is, and they are, but when they get messed up, they are near to impossible to fix. That's what I'm driving at. You have a choice between bent CPU pins, which occur more often but are usually fixable, or bent socket contacts, which occur less often but almost always result in replacing the socket (i.e. RMA the board for repair). In addition, the sockets are not able to handle a lot of cpu insertions.

I still think the Pad thingy is better..
But there are still people who prefer pinned designs..
To each his own.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th August, 2004, 11:28 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

775 tiny pins on a mobo... I don't like it. Intel expects insertion rate failures starting at around 1 out of 20 which is the same rate as socket 478, but I get the feeling they're wrong. A good many of us are fairly well practiced at installing CPUs with pins and not the other way around, especially since the pins are gonna be even tinier this time around. I guess we'll have to get used to it though, since the future for Intel is going to be 775. I'm planning on upgrading a machine soon, and I'm seriously considering a 775 Prescott because of its overclockability. I'm sure there are reasons for the change in package, as in increased stability or less heat or something, and I hope it's worth it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 10th August, 2004, 11:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

LGA packages are cheaper to manufacture than PGA packages, because all you need is a solder ball as opposed to a real pin. That is the only reason I know of.
Old 11th August, 2004, 01:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
because all you need is a solder ball as opposed to a real pin.

It is a highly conductive pad it is done with, solder balls would he the crap way of doing it, like stainless steel pins..
They will most likely be brass plated non coroding or gold plated..

AOA Team fah
Old 11th August, 2004, 02:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

True enough, but the principle is still the same.
Old 11th August, 2004, 03:28 AM
Member/Contributer

if we had the tiny equip, I could get the the actual waffer chip and we could make one, but that would cost 750X more than to buy one..

AOA Team fah
Old 11th August, 2004, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
LGA packages are cheaper to manufacture than PGA packages, because all you need is a solder ball as opposed to a real pin. That is the only reason I know of.
Gizmo, i know what your on about, what you sounded like you were explaining was BGA, which are soldered to PCBS, LGA are as alex described. i got the two mixed up to at first and i work with the things!
Old 11th August, 2004, 07:03 PM

You think the Socket 478 pins are annoying, try unbending a pin thats almost dead center on an Opteron. I had to use a tiny pair of tweezers to get it.
Old 12th August, 2004, 10:31 AM

Oh man that sucks! you manage to get it to locate again?
Old 12th August, 2004, 01:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlz0r
You think the Socket 478 pins are annoying, try unbending a pin thats almost dead center on an Opteron. I had to use a tiny pair of tweezers to get it.

Dat is el why za Intel went with the new T design..

AOA Team fah
Old 12th August, 2004, 01:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
Dat is el why za Intel went with the new T design..
Darn sight easier to handle an Opteron and unbend a pin than it is to handle a whole motherboard and unbend a pin!