AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th August, 2004, 07:10 AM

now how overclockable is my setup

well kind of a dumb fourm question to ask but the last major overclocking i did was back in the days of the Pentium 3 500e the first of the FCPGA chips! (i remember it was deemed most over clockable cpu ever, i personally got it up to ~900mhz)

anways right now im running a new 2.8 northwood with the retail fan (on my MSI 865pe neo2-v)and im really wondering what kind of overclocking can i expect with my well ventilated case before i step up the voltage and after and whats a good max temperature for these chips...
thanks guys overclocking is fun hehe
Old 30th August, 2004, 09:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, johnwc723! If your BIOS gives you the handy option of OCing by 5%, 10% etc, why not give a minimal overclock a try? As always, you risk upsetting your well running machine and turning it into a pumpkin.
Old 30th August, 2004, 10:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey John, welcome to AOA.

I'm sure 3 GHz is a safe bet without extra voltage.

May I suggest that you try out folding@home to stress test the CPU, in order to find the maximum overclock? You'd be helping science fighting diseases while you're at it! We have a small but dedicated team that would love some help! Check out the folding section here in the forums, or click the link in my signature badge (the white thing showing statistics)
Old 30th August, 2004, 10:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Hey John, welcome to AOA.

I'm sure 3 GHz is a safe bet without extra voltage.

May I suggest that you try out folding@home to stress test the CPU, in order to find the maximum overclock? You'd be helping science fighting diseases while you're at it! We have a small but dedicated team that would love some help! Check out the folding section here in the forums, or click the link in my signature badge (the white thing showing statistics)
God, Allan, you are ALREADY bugging him....lol

You might want to look at getting a new mobo
and going for 3.4GHz

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2004, 11:48 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to AOA,
Your mobo's BIOS options will give you a good guestimate at how far you can go. Is your NW 533fsb or 800? Also, what memory are you running? PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200? Last, does your mobo have the option to run FSB asynch with the memory? The answers to these questions will give a lot of insight at how much your system can handle.
Old 1st September, 2004, 03:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

If you have a 2.8C, you can probably expect an easy 3.2Ghz. Do you have the stepping of the chip? Do you recall if it has 30 caps under the chip? Use CPU-Z and see if it what it says under Revision. IF you have an M0 revision, you can count on 3.4-3.8GHz on air. The MSI are decent OCers, but you could get much better stability when OCing using an Asus, Abit or DFI board.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2004, 03:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

He doesn't have a "good" MSI board, thus he needs new mobo like a mofo

AOA Team fah
Old 1st September, 2004, 06:22 PM

thanks for the replys guys! yeah im running the 3200 memory, i think ill check out that folding@home thing also this mother board isnt very good well i mean i payed 70$ for it but i didnt really see anything wrong in the reviews about it other than it dosent come with that many features
Old 1st September, 2004, 07:33 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwc723
thanks for the replys guys! yeah im running the 3200 memory, i think ill check out that folding@home thing also this mother board isnt very good well i mean i payed 70$ for it but i didnt really see anything wrong in the reviews about it other than it dosent come with that many features
I can't comment on the board as I've never had one but I've built a few AMD systems based on MSI boards and they're all solid performers. I checked out the MSI site and couldn't find any obvious problems either, but like I say I've no experience with it.

In any case the whole point of overclocking is getting a bit more out of the system you have, good luck with it
Old 2nd September, 2004, 12:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

If you can, buy one of these boards. They are not too expensive.

Abit IS7
Asus P4P800
Epox EP-4PDA2+

I bought an IS7 used on the forums and it'll run 290MHz fsb 3D stable with my 2.4C. The Asus will run the same and the Epox I had ran 275MHz fsb with a 2.6C. I also used IC7 and P4C800-E deluxe taht took my 2.8C to 270. Sell your MSI and pick up a better OCer. If that 2.8C is a good stepping, you could run 250-260MHz fsb 24/7.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit