AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2004, 09:53 PM

Oc'ing an older computer, please advise...

Well Ok here what I have..

PIII 533/133 mhz HP Pavilion 8655C
Motherboard: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
Gfx Card: GeForce4 MX 4000 (already OC)
Newer 128mb SDRAM (1)
Soundblaster SC

Im Wondering if this box can be Overclocked some? I checked my bios and I see the FSB is 133mhz but cant change it. Also I went to that manufactors site and seen this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=pv502en

Which claims to be a new BIOS, though im not sure because it mentions somthing about video. And plus now im running WinXP with this machine. could somone verify this for me? In the mean time ill download it and get ready.

Last edited by ewells2420; 17th September, 2004 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Updated Info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2004, 10:53 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't think you'll have much joy with this one I'm afraid. Best case scenario you have the 533eb which will mean the fsb is the limiting factor. On a hp comp there won't be any settings to change the fsb so you'll need softfsb off the files section http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=952 or cpufsb http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=949

They should be able to overclock the fsb if the clock chip supports over 133mhz busses.

If it's a 533b (none coppermine) then theres still a chance you'll get a bit.
In all though you will only be looking at the most a 10% overclock thats if you have good ram. now if you had an 'e' coppermine that would be a differant story. You could look out for one on ebay if it's important. These have a 100mhz fsb and overclock well to the 133mhz fsb, so a 700e would go to 933. You would want a cC0 or cD0 stepping and don't go for anything more than a 700, the 650 is the safest bet (866mhz overclocked) with that board you wouldn't be able to do this in the bios you would need to short a pin out on the packaging (either slot1 or fc-pga) I ca't remember which they are off hand so I'll go look it up.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2004, 11:10 PM

hey thanks a lot, I already d/l cpu fsb....im a little overhelmed by it becuase I have to find the PLL (hope I can). Ill try softfsb now.

Oh and in softfsb how do I know which MB is mine? My chipset is Intel 810E but I dont see it there. There is also a HP option for mainboard but dont know if I should use it. If you can please help me with this.

Last edited by ewells2420; 17th September, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 17th September, 2004, 11:42 PM
Member/Contributer

the pll is usually to the right of the agp, about 1cm by 0.5 cm with a silver chip (the quartz) next to it, it will have the make written on it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 12:24 AM

Good news is I found it, and its 9250AF-23 and its 14.318 mhz. Bad news it those numbers dont show up on either CPUFSB or SoftFSB. So what should I do now?
Old 18th September, 2004, 12:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Usually one thats similar will work, try a couple that are similar the worst that will happen is the pc crashes

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 01:33 AM

Well none of the settings work on my computer, they all make my comp crash any other ideas you might have to get it to work?
Old 18th September, 2004, 02:26 AM
Member/Contributer

it doesn't have your ic but it does have the 9250xx-08. Try this and go on the options button and try changing some of them 1 at a time.
it's hard to help beyond that without being there

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 02:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can get my server box to go a tad faster!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 03:11 AM

Well at one point I got SoftFSB to start to work and it registed my FBS at 33 mhz I think it was but now its freezing up again lol. Btw do you have msn or aim so we can chat faster?
Old 18th September, 2004, 04:13 AM
Member/Contributer

sorry I've not put them on yet. have you tried cpufsb, I've not used it but I'll give it a look tomorrow when I've had some sleep (just realised it's gone 4 )

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 04:34 AM

Yeah that was the first one I tried, ive tried just about all the 9250's. Everyone of them makes my comp freeze. Id try the auto-detect thing but it says it could cuase damage so im afraid =P If this comp wasent so crapy I wouldnt even be doing this though =P UPDATE: I found out my processor IS a Coppermine (0.18 somthing that looks like a "u" with an extra long tail then "m" next to it

The thing I find weird is that my ICS model # has an extra 2 digits lol (omfg I HATE HP!!) Notice in 9250(AF) - 23 theres that extra A and F. No brakcets of course. in CPUfsb theres 9250-23 and no AF. ive looked in the other manufactors list but havent found it. Im wondering though if its possible to custom set it. I already know its 33mhz FSB (i think lol). SoftFSB told me that before it started freezing again Ill try some more things while your asleep. Btw thanks again for all the great help.

p.s. Some good news is I found out an older 64mb chip I had was SDRAM just like my newer 128mb ram chip so I now have 192mb SDRAM =P I would have 256 SDRAM cause I got the chips outta my fathers older PC (was hit my lightning) but I guess one of em was fried. Still good news =P I think.

Last edited by ewells2420; 18th September, 2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 18th September, 2004, 10:33 AM

Well some good and bad news lol. I got it to overclock, bad news: Only 6 megahertz =P But i notice some improvement. If I got higher than 146 FSB it freezes.
Old 18th September, 2004, 01:06 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

If your running xp more ram will definutly help your performance, as a rule of thumb i try and make a system have 384megs or more for xp as it becomes much happier past that point. Although my laptop currently has 128megs as i've lent half of its ram to the ex for her mac so she could get some important work done on it :s

I dont think your gonna get much of an o/c out of it if your allready on a 133fsb, as others have said trawl ebay and other second hand places and see if you can pick up a faster chip that your mobo supports (could be upto 1GHz)
Old 18th September, 2004, 01:43 PM
Member/Contributer

6mhz not bad
The sad thing is it's not the cpu holding it back, thats probabally capable of about 700mhz just that pesky 133mhz fsb

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2004, 08:13 PM

yeah, that bastard FSB. Oh and no time or money for a new mobo, this comp is a junker anyway. Im getting a new laptop soon enough (3.4gightz, 1 gig memory, ect.).
Old 18th September, 2004, 09:52 PM
Member/Contributer

You wouldn't need a new motherboard, a 100mhz fsb coppermine would do great and you could probabally pick one up for a tenner or so on ebay or a refurbished/end of line dealer. a 700mhz cC0 or cD0 chip would give you a 933mhz system

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th September, 2004, 05:35 AM

UPDATE

I got it up to 559.9 mhz, might be able to go higher but not sure how stable it would be

right now the setting is... FSB 140.0 MHz PCI 35.0 MHz RAM 105.0 MHz