AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2004, 02:33 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Interesting thread.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2004, 02:42 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Interesting thread.
Indeed, although I am very interested in your 4ghz P4. My 3.2ghz P4 has been a dissapointment... then again, my assumption is that performance improvement is linear to ghz. Also, I've heard that the prescotts with the bigger cache benefits more from higher clock speed than a NW. Can you confirm that?

I'm tempted to unload my P4... not sure if I should roll the dice and try for a better OC, or ditch the mobo as well. I fully trust that the mobo and memory are capable of much more than I can get with my dog CPU,
Old 28th October, 2004, 02:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
If you smell fanboy, then look real close to home.

This is an unacceptable post! Steve gave clear and compelling evidence for his "Personal" point of view.
Please feel free to delete it Mr. Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
He offered his views as being his and his alone.

You have only offered your "Brand Loyalty" and childish criticism of those who don't share it.
I was kidding, I am sorry if I made anyone "mad"
You are truely looking waaayyyy tooo deep for the reason I said it, the reason is straight forward.
Steve has never pointed out any Intel equivilant being better than an AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Argue points, skip the name calling.
Argue what?
Steve has most of the Forum that owns AMDs on his side.
Relax, it was a silly joke.

My point is in wording.

Steve is extremely knowledgable, and quite intellegent, but he tends to start singing the AMD bang for buck song, which AMDs are not like that anymore.
He said his Barton outperformed the P4 3.2GHz, I would like to see where he can prove this, and show us which parts are in each PC, he says he has been dissapointed, why is he? not stated, just the same thing over and over, he comes and tells someone who is looking to try something new a story that he has not proven yet, it is pure opinion.
Next, I am not in any way a Intel fanboy, I own a XP2400, 1.4GHz t-bred, and a 1700XP, then I have a P4 2.4GHz@2.7GHz and a P4 3.06GHz@3.45GHz, from my experience, I have been much happier with the quickness and higher performing benches of the P4s, that is why the AMD are condemned to mundane tasks, such as a music server, etc.
I just built my best friend a A64 3500 system, and when I was using it, it seemed considerably slower than my old "B" model system, I was worried the performance was being hendered by something, I got a RMA on the board, and I even tried my ram, it was still slower, dispite me having generic 2100 ram, and he having corsair ddr466
when I loaded games, without a benching tool, the FPS seemed equal, knowing we have the same video card(9800XT)
enough to make his $280 processor better than my $180 processor.
Knowing in a benching tool, the 3500 would kill my little old "B" model P4, I am not going to try that, but I can tell you he still wanted my computer.
now, for the info
THIS IS MY OPINION

AOA Team fah

Last edited by alexkerhead; 28th October, 2004 at 02:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2004, 03:02 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Also, I've heard that the prescotts with the bigger cache benefits more from higher clock speed than a NW. Can you confirm that?
Definatly, I don't know if it is the cache, but I think it has more to do with the 90nm architecture. Despite the bashing people give them, they are great CPU's, but dam toasty. But at 1.3V, there's plenty of headroom for OC, providing your PC doesn't melt too.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 28th October, 2004 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Dropped a ']'
Old 28th October, 2004, 03:27 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

@alexkerhead
Your opinion is yours, my opinion is still mine. However, the difference in our statements is that I never resorted to humor or a low brow attempt to debase the arguement. Daniel~'s comment is only to avoid a downward spiral of insults to win an arguement.... One which does not seem baseless. I suggest we both let the matter drop. Yes, this forum has a high percentage of AMD users. But there has been no 'loyalty' that I've seen. Everyone here just seems to care about 2 things, performance and/or cost.

@pitch
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 28th October, 2004, 03:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
I'm tempted to unload my P4.
We have classifieds
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:30 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
@alexkerhead
Your opinion is yours, my opinion is still mine. However, the difference in our statements is that I never resorted to humor or a low brow attempt to debase the arguement. Daniel~'s comment is only to avoid a downward spiral of insults to win an arguement.... One which does not seem baseless. I suggest we both let the matter drop. Yes, this forum has a high percentage of AMD users. But there has been no 'loyalty' that I've seen. Everyone here just seems to care about 2 things, performance and/or cost.
In all seriousness, being tooo serious is not always a good thing.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
But it is when it's important. Funny as I just had a little convo with my ex on the web not too long ago. She is in some state visiting some guy. They were on messenger and on cam. He started to get a little pissed cuz she was "chatting" with me and being a little to much.

For a while I was playing with him and messing with his head, then it got old and I told him, in all seriousness, I DON'T CARE!!! I could give a rat's that's she's up there with him. He must have thought that I still had feelings for her. (which I don't)

So.... with that, be serious when you need to be, and play when others play along with you.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2004, 05:03 AM
Metal Wizard

you know I would think that a person who has used an AMD product for however long and has liked and enjoyed said product would tend to stand up for it. as would an Intel user. where people go wrong is when they think people should use and love what they use and love. cuz if it wasn't great then i would not be using it. I don't care for the bang for the buck theory. I buy what I want to try based on just that. I want to try it. If it makes you happy, be happy with it. but remember it might not be someone elses cup of tea. I am happy with what I have and I hope every user is happy with what they have!!.

WZ
Old 28th October, 2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
you know I would think that a person who has used an AMD product for however long and has liked and enjoyed said product would tend to stand up for it. as would an Intel user. where people go wrong is when they think people should use and love what they use and love. cuz if it wasn't great then i would not be using it. I don't care for the bang for the buck theory. I buy what I want to try based on just that. I want to try it. If it makes you happy, be happy with it. but remember it might not be someone elses cup of tea. I am happy with what I have and I hope every user is happy with what they have!!.
WZ
I can see & think the main thrust of your point is well founded.
So long as you can see that some users are most contented with being 'scientific' about their choices, & that in matters of fact, science & evidence must always supersede opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
But fellas, I'm right here! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
In all seriousness, being too serious is never a good thing, unless by chance it happens to not be a bad thing too.
Any surplus of state or emotion is likely to cause problems. By definition it is excessive & in this world moderation is often wise.
However I don't think the case was one of too much seriousness being displayed.
I think it was more the case that a point was made in earnest & your reply was more likely to be interpreted as flippant. Note I did not say it was neither I am requesting for it to be judged in any way thus.
However I am saying that since we cannot see your intent to avoid misunderstandings (so much more likely when communicating only via text - we cannot see the quirky wry grin on your face...) you must chose the context & the words with extra care than when interacting face to face. I am certain you know all this. I am not claiming to be blameless I am sure you can dig up a post where I could be reminded of the same.
Personally I feel it is a shame that it came up at all. Having said that I would not be one for having any jocular comments frowned upon altogether.
Sincerely can you say alex that you would have found such a comment amusing if you were giving your earnest opinion on a subject you felt strongly / had experience of ?
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...

Last edited by DimViesel; 28th October, 2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old 28th October, 2004, 02:34 PM

Let's refer to the "What's your favorite processor" thread!
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:21 PM
Member/Contributer

when I got my system there was no question, I went for a 3400 a64 and other than the fx51 there was nothing better. Now though I would give serious thought to an lga775 system, the new prescotts seem to overclock really well and price wise amd doesn't have the edge any more. The xp range is in a similar position to the k6 range was back when intel came out with the pIII, in some cases they could equal or slighltly beat the pIII but when the pIII excelled it did it by a bigger margin
if I only had £50 for the cpu then a 2500xp would be the only choice, moving towards the £100 mark though and the prescotts and a64's are very close
one factor is that of 64bit technology, and in my opinion by the time 64bit is an issue current cpu's will be outdated anyway
but it's intels boards that impress me, amd needs to get pci express boards out, and also the matrix storage system from what I've read is quite clever
People argue that intel skimps on design for ghz ratings, but if a 3.2ghz cpu costs the same as a 2ghz cpu, performs the same and puts out the same heat and uses the same power then does it matter what method is used to do this?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
I'm seeing alot of members jumping over to Intel. What's changed everyones mind?
stability and bugylessness....

bugylessness is probably the biggest reason why i jump shipped..... to intel, eh eh.

performance is damn good too.

Intel seems to make very good quality products.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 28th October, 2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 29th October, 2004, 12:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever

Intel seems to make very good quality products.
100% agreed

AOA Team fah
Old 29th October, 2004, 12:50 AM
Metal Wizard

Pour gas on this fire!!

I think you should switch!!! If we are talking bang for the buck here!!
you can get a Epox 4PDA2+ver.2 for $108 and a P-4 3.0C SL6WK for $179.99
both delivered to your door for a total of 287. Or you canget an AMD 64
3700 delivered to your door for $482 Now when it comes to cpu power. Let me show you a little factology. This in the form of pictures. I like looking at the pictures. As you will see, $ 287.99 gives you plenty of bang for the buck.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Considering jumping ship.......-hey.jpg   Considering jumping ship.......-hmmm.jpg  
Old 29th October, 2004, 12:51 AM
Metal Wizard

As I stated earlier , if you are happy with what you have ,then be happy. I'm happy!!

WZ
Old 29th October, 2004, 01:42 AM
AOA Staff

Nice job on annihilating that 2.7Ghz A64

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th October, 2004, 02:07 AM
Member/Contributer

...that amd 64 has a 5950... and its behind by 500 points. Hardly annihilation based on the video card. Not that I'm disagreeing that that proc clock of 3.9 is ownage, because I'm pretty sure my next re-work is gunna be a p4 pressy...still a 5950 vs 6800GT is sorta quite off, since when I switched over from 59(50)00 to 6800GT I gained over 10k on my aquamark score(45-46k to 64-65k)
Old 29th October, 2004, 03:33 AM
AOA Staff

We are not including the GFX scores, only the CPU Scores, and there may be only 500 point difference, but there is a hell of a difference in price.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th October, 2004, 04:04 AM
Member/Contributer

lol inept me, i didnt even look past the scores. Sign that i've been running AQ3 too much