AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2004, 05:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

there is a little saying I like to do when I see CPU numbers like that.
OWNT!
Thanks for the comparison weld.
I have been saying for a while now, AMD cannot sing the bang for buck song anymore.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2004, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
there is a little saying I like to do when I see CPU numbers like that.
OWNT!
Thanks for the comparison weld.
I have been saying for a while now, AMD cannot sing the bang for buck song anymore.
Alex I want to understand what the sentiment in that post is accurately:
Are you saying that you feel that AMD's claims that their CPUs were equivalent to Intel's in terms of performance, even when taking into account the lower clock speeds, sat really badly with you?
Do you feel some 'release' to see AMD's latest cpus not being able to outperform the higher clocked P4's (which are also now cheaper, in price to perf. comparison) ?
The 'bang for buck song' is the statement I find emotionally charged - it irked you that this was the, foundless, selling point of these processors?
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...

Last edited by DimViesel; 29th October, 2004 at 03:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2004, 02:21 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

OMG Vampires: Bloodlines the Masqueade is out soon!!!!!!!!111111one

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th October, 2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
OMG Vampires: Bloodlines the Masqueade is out soon!!!!!!!!111111one
... & back on topic.
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...
Old 29th October, 2004, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Did anyone else notice that the benchmarks are not compariable. First off what other programs are being run? Were the benchmarks done by the same people? With the same systems (- board and chip). Also did anyone else notice that the p4 had 1gb of ram and all the a64's had only 512? Hardly an ownage. I absoutley love fanboy bias. The only way to run a comparison like this one is using the same ram, harddrives, powersupply, cd-rom, ect and have a fresh clean install of the os and then compare them. When I did benchmarks in the past that was a basis of a clean bench. I toss any other wibble out with the trash. The person running the bench on the a64 could have been running folding at the time. Who knows?
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 29th October, 2004, 08:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I like Intel. Intel's good. You don't have to worry about your CPU blowing up and setting fire to your house 'cos the heatsink fell off.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 29th October, 2004, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Except if it is a Prescott

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th October, 2004, 10:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Ok, how about this combo then:

A64 Camp
A64 3000 skt 754 Retail pack £120 'ish
Decent A64 skt 754 board about £80-100
VS
Intel Camp
P4 2.8Ghz skt 478 retail pack £130 'ish
Decent P4 board about £80-130

Either system would replace my Abit rig below, I'd keep everything but the board and CPU and intend to OC as far as possible.

Let the debate continue.....

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th October, 2004, 12:02 AM
Metal Wizard

go to the aquamark ARC I assure of the 467 posted A64's behind me several had one gig of ram. Now as far as this post goes. Lazgoat,Instead of starting a thread titled,
" I'm considering jumping ship" Which was absolutlely guarenteed to start this arguement. In the future . don't start a thread like this. now , why would you now ask about the 2.8.P-4. I showed you a reasonably priced combination. go look at Pitch's setup up It's cpu score is also higher than any you will find on the ARC for A64's
I will tell you all,in all honesty one of my closest friends has an athlon 3700 A64 and his cpu score is the exact same as mine. Oh by the way he uses 512 megs of mem.
.I will not post oin this thread again as I don't believe it should even be here. And I will also say alexkerhead is a fine young guy. you need only take the time to read his posts to get idea of his way of talikng as well as his sense of humor. I will stick by this guy and my P-4 til the bitter end. As well as Pitch's P-4 as it is my only competition here and is the reason why i have extracted as much as i have out of my system's potential. As I stated earlier if you are happy with it, run with it. And let this thread go cuz it is crap. This is a worthless debate that means nothing.

WZ
Old 30th October, 2004, 12:34 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't think I want a 754 representing camp AMD :P. My friend just got a 3400+ socket 754 and it performs siginfigently worse in sandra marks, and I'm willing to wager PCmark, than my barton does. Naturally, his isn't overclocked though, but could it go high enough to outperform mine?
Old 30th October, 2004, 03:01 AM
AOA Staff

Debatable. I don't know enough about how the XP range competes against the A64, but judgement tells me it will out perform a Barton when overclocked.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 30th October, 2004, 04:18 AM
Member/Contributer

well the numbers dont lie...I had him by a few hundred on every test. Memory, cache, and CPU. 939 is a differnt story but the 754's dont have dual channel or hyperthreading... I sorta expected his proc to perform worse in those benchmarks. Given his gaming performance IS probably better. But in sandra I beat him, whatever that proves *shrug*
Old 30th October, 2004, 05:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimViesel
Alex I want to understand what the sentiment in that post is accurately:
Are you saying that you feel that AMD's claims that their CPUs were equivalent to Intel's in terms of performance, even when taking into account the lower clock speeds, sat really badly with you?
Do you feel some 'release' to see AMD's latest cpus not being able to outperform the higher clocked P4's (which are also now cheaper, in price to perf. comparison) ?
The 'bang for buck song' is the statement I find emotionally charged - it irked you that this was the, foundless, selling point of these processors?
Yu dont have to reply to my post, you can in fact put me in your ignore list.
and lazgoat, that P4 system looks mighty nice, I would go for it.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th October, 2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
Yu dont have to reply to my post, you can in fact put me in your ignore list.
Thank you for the tip, I'll be sure to bear it in mind
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...
Old 31st October, 2004, 02:07 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimViesel
Thank you for the tip, I'll be sure to bear it in mind
no prob, and now, we get back on topic after the severe hijack.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st October, 2004, 02:20 AM
AOA Staff

Couldn't agree more.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 31st October, 2004, 11:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey Pitch, what CPU is that you have? What CPU and stepping should I look out for to get to 4Ghz'ish...?

AOA Team fah
Old 31st October, 2004, 04:05 PM
AOA Staff

I have a 3.0C. I'm not sure what stepping it is - I'll find soon.

I know weldzilla has a SL6WK and done very well with that.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 31st October, 2004, 07:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Some of us wish to defend our choice in processors. It looks like more of us at AOA choose AMD, which leaves Intel owners in the minority. Is there an intrinsically correct choice?

I appreciate the fact that AMD is a tiny company when compared to Intel. Rooting for the overdog seems wrong, personally speaking.

I think it's fair to say that the money one saves by choosing AMD--at least in the past-- requires the owner to be smarter, for lack of a better word. As AMD can't afford to design its chipsets most of the time, there is often a world of details that must be addressed before your AMD CPU runs the way you want it too. Especially cooling.

It's easy to drop an Intel CPU into one of the more expensive mainboards and have your new setup fire up just fine, badda bing. It must be said that the new Prescott cored P4's require better cooling than Intel supples with its RB'd processors. Even at stock, AFAIK. While the new Socket T form factor saves the mainboard from being bent half way to China when securing the HSF, I do not like the fact that the processor must be married to pins that are supplied inside the socket.

Which makes the latest CPU's from AMD more attractive!
Old 31st October, 2004, 08:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
I think it's fair to say that the money one saves by choosing AMD--at least in the past-- requires the owner to be smarter, for lack of a better word.
Are you saying the Intel buyers are not smart?
even tho the fastest CPU on these forums is a P4, the 3GHz weldzilla has?

AOA Team fah