AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st October, 2004, 08:31 PM
Member/Contributer

He said for lack of a better word. Having the fastest P4 chip doesn't make it economically better. The p4's(2.0-2.4) at the stages where amd's were barton 2500+ and there abouts, where considerably cheaper, and so were the motherboards. Also most people didn't REALLY need all that intel has to offer, and making the jump in price at that time wasn't really 'smart' at the time. I agree now in the higher end you pay about the same for AMD or Intel, but we're still talking about the chips that most of us have. Even the socket 754's and related processors are cheaper than pentium chips, save for the chips that compare to low end barton chips. It's not to say that its not smart, but we're not coming up with a better word. Or maybe I just confused the topic more? perhaps.
Old 31st October, 2004, 09:04 PM
Member/Contributer

routing for the underdog? I hardly call a company with revenue in the hundreds of millions an underdog
amd are a big fat greedy corp just like intel
if we are honest then amd has started to lag again, they had their hay day with the athlons and thunderbirds, back before the northwood came out for performance and price amd were the only choice, and I think that attitude has stuck with many people, myself included, its hard for me to even admit to my self but intels new range is the better choice, amd may well retaliate soon but for the mean time, they are the better choice. Amd is still king of the budget end, nothing can compete with a 2500+ barton for price/performance and overclocking, but when you spend closer to £100 it all becomes quite grey. I remember back when even the duron range were better than the p3 (and p4 clock for clock) but intel has dragged their chip kicking and screaming upto high performance levels. The xp range just doesn't comare with the p4 range, yes in some things it's slightly faster, but in other things the p4 is much much faster. I don't think therers anything to choose between the a64 and p4 to be honest, they're to close in performance and price to be an issue. Only with 64bit software will the a64 pull ahead

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2004, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Seriosuly, this thread is getting a little hijaked.

I vote that we end the AMD v Intel dispute, close the thread if needby.

People are too quick to defend their choice and too stubborn to accept other peoples views and opinions. This whole idea of backing companies is pointless. They do not care about your custom, you are only a statistic to them.

To be honest, I will go which ever way the wind is blowing, and I feel more members should do the same. I'm not here to debate which way the wind is blowing, you can do that by yourself and come to a reasonable conclusion. Even if others don't agree.

However; I don't know if this thread has managed to do aything but aggrevate members. So please, can we just leave this thread and avoid asking the question - "Considering jumping ship......." Because all that will happen is the same arguement will arise.

I mean, for goodness sake, why must their be an arguement.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2004, 03:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

All in All, if you onw both types of the CPUs, you will usually choose the better.
and for reference.
I have(good rigs)
P4 3.06GHz
AMD2400XP
P4 2.4GHz
AMD 1.3GHz t-bred
celery 2GHz

AOA Team fah
Old 1st November, 2004, 03:44 AM
Member/Contributer

My sentiments exactly pitch. It's human nature to defend our choices though. Brand loyalty is something we've had forced upon us for a long time, I remember actually feeling guilty when I bought a SNES after owning a master system when I was 10
The fact that this thread is called jumping ship, like going with a differant brand for your next upgrade is some kind of betrayel highlights this.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st November, 2004, 03:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Here's how it works. I almost never close threads. Nor do I try and direct them or keep them on topic. That's up to you. On occasion I will delete posts at a thread starters request if they are hostel to it's topic.

I pretty much just enforce rules, stay within them and you can pretty much say anything you like.

The rules are posted at the start of each Forum section.

Enjoy.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st November, 2004, 04:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

BTW If you read cloasters post carefully what he said was that gaining satisfaction with AMD Chips and Chip sets required more smarts be brought into play as it's a less straight forward undertaking than with Intel designed chip sets.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st November, 2004, 04:02 AM
Member/Contributer

We just got a little steamy, I think it is good now.
And I agree with Mr. Garside, he makes "to the point" posts, thanks

AOA Team fah
Old 1st November, 2004, 05:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
Are you saying the Intel buyers are not smart?
even tho the fastest CPU on these forums is a P4, the 3GHz weldzilla has?

I wrote "smarter, for lack of a better word." I should have posted "cloasters needs to be smarter to assemble an AMD system that runs well than he does to build an Intel box that purrs along." Don't ya just hate globalization?

I'm not dumping on Intel owners, my current A machine is a P4.
Old 1st November, 2004, 08:40 PM
Member/Contributer

I get your point, you mean that it takes more interaction and involvement from the builder to put an amd system together where as intels are more straight forward, a bit like running linux compared with windows (though not so extreme) but you weren't stating that amd users are smarter than intel (we'll wait for the next test the nation before we mke those claims )

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd November, 2004, 05:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I get your point, you mean that it takes more interaction and involvement from the builder to put an amd system together where as intels are more straight forward, a bit like running linux compared with windows (though not so extreme) but you weren't stating that amd users are smarter than intel (we'll wait for the next test the nation before we mke those claims )
hehe, these adays, the AMD systems are easier to get up and running compared to the presshots.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd November, 2004, 06:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I must be honest, the Socket T's "'backward with the pins'-- because they are in the socket" scares me. I have no idea what Intel's next form factor will be. I just hope that installing the processor won't need a surgeon's touch.

I had a P3 that was a warranty replacement from Intel long ago. Zero Insertion Force my censored! That proc did not want to drop into its socket. All of the pins were a tiny bit out of true. I had to force it into place. That CPU remained married to its mainboard for life. Taking it out of the socket was not on the table.

What were we arguing about?