AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:57 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
*Snip*
Given the higher heat output of the Prescotts, one would assume Intel did a better job of bonding the chip to the spreader in order to improve the heat transfer. Therefore you probably wouldn't gain as much from its removal. Probably about the only way to tell is going to be for someone to basically sand one off to see.
Indeedy the prescotts were the first chip to come with a copper heatspreader. Northwoods et all had an aluminium spreader. Alu is significantly poorer in terms of thermal conductance. Although it can be made typically be fabricated thinner than alu, recent process enhancements have made that nigh on negliable especially in terms of 2d objects such as plates.

K
Old 4th November, 2004, 08:59 PM
Member/Contributer

it'd say its disputable at best that heatspreaders actually work. I did it to mount an active memory cooler on one stick, so i'd have a fan to cool the mostfets on my ddr booster. Lo and behold the power cables to the ddr booster block the fan, so that idea was shot. I'd think ramsinks would create MORE surface area for the ram because you count the area between the fins as area over which heat is disspiated, and the odds of the heat spreading through all of the heatspreader is pretty thin. This is the same concept behind huge base waterblocks. The heat wont spread all the way through the base, so if its huge, its sorta pointless. Its better to increase the surface area over the die by using channels, ridges, or cups

I'm sure I could fix up the ram so that it looks like I never removed them, but in theory I technically voided the warentee on that too
Old 5th November, 2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
What socket is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
Well XeroHour what did you get?! The suspense is killing me..... WZ

Quote:
wouldn't you like to know? :P

http://www.datashapes.com/default.a...002&8101=541172

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
yea so heres the sum of it
Video card $400
added a pelt, insulation process might make it non-returnable
-$400

Corsair XMS ram 3 year warentee $180
removed heatspreaders(technically this is all one needs to void it), ran at 3.6V(bh-5 tech sheet says ok, but corsair thinks 3.2V is enough I think), and its obvious I removed the heatspraders
-$180

Now P4 removing the heat blanket...err spreader
-$225 on the manufac warentee...

at least im killing warentees and not parts
wait a minute..... you got a P4EE ?? That link shows it's an Extreme Edition. Holly jesus... somebody is getting the christmas presents early. A 950 dollar chip....

Btw, gizmo, I like your avatar.....
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2004, 05:33 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

XeroHour, that is big bucks for a relativly small performance gain. I mean $1000 for a couple extra FPS, and btw unless you have Phase change or some super cooling device, Gallatins do not overclock well.

Are you really willing to shell out that kind of money for a performance increase that you will not be able to see?

I can't ephasise how much I think you are making a mistake here, but It's your cash, that you've worked for.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2004, 07:43 PM
Member/Contributer

wao guys thats being sarcastic!

LoL I got a p4 3.2e its up and going, been having some troubles with my hdds so no big overclocks yet. I've had it up at 4.1gighz 250 5:4. Wasn't too hot in the gaming perfomance from what I recall. Runs 3.6 233 i think it is, 1:1, gaming at 3.2 and a bit above has appered to be quite faster. So far its good stuff. VERY hot! My video card is under a pelt, with the heat of a Pressy(which is 41oC idle with raised voltage, not sure what it was when I got this temp, loads to 46ish) makes the video card 60oC! Less overclock on the video card, still got a higher score outta it than with my AMD though, at less clock. I guess its bottlenecking less at the CPU. I'm sure this thing is gunna fly when I tweak it, and the AS5 cures. I might have gone too thick with it, its 40oC at stock Voltage! Crazy! My xp was there with 2.0V. I'll work on it and see what I can do, so far I'm quite happy with it.

This IS my first intel overclock so I'm still figuring it out.
Old 5th November, 2004, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Aye, Pressys are dam hot. But tbh, 40 idle is fine for water cooling. Despite being madly hot, they seem pretty fine at high temps. If you are having stability issues, I would bet it the FETs near the CPU, get a thermometre, electrical if possible and take some readings. I had that problem when getting near 3.7GHz, after a quickbodge job with a 80mm fan, it'll run up to and in excess of 4Ghz, any further and I have to add mem dividers in since this is 267MHz 1:1 and so, this is optimal performance for me.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 5th November, 2004, 11:17 PM
Member/Contributer

maybe I'm a newb or something(well..ok to p4 i am)...but I can't go much above 250 on the ram(and i'm at 3:2) because to go above the 4.009 gighz(yes its sig figs people!) I'm at now, I need more V and it seems like more heat is a bad idea. Is there a way to mimic a multiplier and lower the CPU to get more out of the ram? Or is this the problem? I have a multi of 16...what's you're multi on ur northy..since I see ur at the same CPU speed, but you said you have 267 1:1

As for the mosfets, I have the board you have, doesn't that OTES cool the power regulators enough?
Old 6th November, 2004, 12:38 AM
AOA Staff

Not enough, no.

And my CPu is at 267x15

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th November, 2004, 01:04 AM
Member/Contributer

I'm getting unstable at stock! its crashing out of benchies, I dont know why. I reset the bios to just plain old plain old and it still crashes... I was benching at 3.7 before... anyone here think a bios flash would help? I found some bios's by tictac, but he says he's never tested them, just edited them from file...which makes me hesitate to do it. Maybe even a factory updated bios would help?
Old 6th November, 2004, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

proly corrupted your OS on one high-clock attempt. I know it may seem a pain, but you may need an OS install....again....
Old 6th November, 2004, 02:16 AM
Member/Contributer

nm, problem solved *eye roll* i've already corrupted my O/S, I just had to do a windows repair. I'm working out the kinks, so far 70k in aquamark...haven't seen anywhere near this with my barton. I'm happy I upgraded. Yet to get it stable at 4.0gighz which was my goal. We'll see what I can do after this party weekend ^.^
Old 7th November, 2004, 09:25 PM
Member/Contributer

well here it is. I dont even feel the need to overclock it any more. I'm going to prolly, but I dont feel the need >.<
Attached Images
File Type: bmp all of itsm.bmp (160.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 7th November, 2004, 09:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Smmmok'in!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th November, 2004, 12:11 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
well here it is. I dont even feel the need to overclock it any more. I'm going to prolly, but I dont feel the need >.<
what is up with the monochrome? LOL
btw, uber nice

AOA Team fah
Old 8th November, 2004, 12:53 AM
Member/Contributer

monochrome=smaller. Win2k doens't offer u the option to save as .jpg/.gif in mspaint
Old 8th November, 2004, 05:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
monochrome=smaller. Win2k doens't offer u the option to save as .jpg/.gif in mspaint
perhaps pixia can help
totally free, and can convert/make pics.
works as well as psp7

AOA Team fah
Old 8th November, 2004, 06:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Under Win2K, what I do is modify the image in mspaint. Then I pull up ImageViewer, create a new JPG document that is 1x1 pixel. Then cut-n-paste it from paint into ImageViewer and save the file.

Cumbersome, I know, but it works for what little I do.
Old 8th November, 2004, 02:29 PM
Member/Contributer

that'll do.
Old 8th November, 2004, 05:23 PM
Member/Contributer

or grab a copy of GIMP, gnu free and you'll have some other functions too

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th November, 2004, 05:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I use ACDSee, a free version is available as well.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic