AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd November, 2004, 08:44 PM
Member/Contributer

Uh oh this isn't good...

We don't have a troubleshooting relationships section here on the forums, so this goes here.

I just ordered a p4 and motherboard totaling...well totalling a lot LoL My g/f is gunna kill me! I gotta stop getting expensive things for my box then replacing them a few weeks later 8)
Old 2nd November, 2004, 09:11 PM
Member/Contributer

My ex used to hate computers, she never understood the need for buying new things and tweaking them, it used to get her fired up really, I got a half hour long rant once for installing new vid drivers
She could cain my backside at CS though

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2004, 09:14 PM
Metal Wizard

Well XeroHour what did you get?! The suspense is killing me.....

WZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2004, 10:32 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey WZ and other Intel users, can you suggest a good mainboard to go with a Northwood or Prescott 3.0Ghz CPU? Need one for a friends new system.

*EDIT* Considering the Abit IC7. Any user views?

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Lazgoat; 2nd November, 2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 2nd November, 2004, 10:33 PM
Metal Wizard

What socket is it?
Old 2nd November, 2004, 10:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
My ex used to hate computers, she never understood the need for buying new things and tweaking them, it used to get her fired up really, I got a half hour long rant once for installing new vid drivers
She could cain my backside at CS though
So now you've got a new girl, really, she should have seen it coming":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd November, 2004, 10:39 PM
Member/Contributer

WZ, Socket 478.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd November, 2004, 11:00 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah she should.

I mean how can I stay with someone who beats me at counter strike

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd November, 2004, 11:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Exactly. LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Seriously though were still friends and she's a great girl but she has a history of boyfriends that are into computers, and unlike me they weren't all mankinds finest

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 03:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
What socket is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
Well XeroHour what did you get?! The suspense is killing me..... WZ
wouldn't you like to know? :P

http://www.datashapes.com/default.as...02&8101=541172

Old 4th November, 2004, 06:37 AM
Member/Contributer

does anyone know if its harmful(if done correctly) to remove the heatspreader from all types of p4's? I was considering this, does it help more than 1-2oC? If its for only 1 or 2 degrees I guess its not worth potentially voiding another $200+ warentee...but if its around 5oC it might be....

wow i've voided a lot of money in warentees lol...
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:43 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't beleive it is, I've seen some guides on it (a quick google should find them) and I do think it can give a 4-5 degree improvement
you can always glue it back onif you botch

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:51 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

DO IT! lol

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!

damn it if ya don't pull off one of those 5 layer's of silicon... i wonder how it's bonded?
Old 4th November, 2004, 10:34 AM
Member/Contributer

yea so heres the sum of it
Video card $400
added a pelt, insulation process might make it non-returnable
-$400

Corsair XMS ram 3 year warentee $180
removed heatspreaders(technically this is all one needs to void it), ran at 3.6V(bh-5 tech sheet says ok, but corsair thinks 3.2V is enough I think), and its obvious I removed the heatspraders
-$180

Now P4 removing the heat blanket...err spreader
-$225 on the manufac warentee...

at least im killing warentees and not parts
Old 4th November, 2004, 01:01 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Removing heat spreaders is very risky, as quite often some of the silicon will come off with it. Intel have glued it down well with a thermal epoxy and in the case of a prescott chip its a copper plate. It makes for a higher surface area for the heatsink to mate with. I havent done any calcs but i'd of said the thermal resistance on the plate is quite small in itself + the spreader -> heatsink resistance will be lower than if you directly mounted it on the core.

Btw why have you removed the heatspreaders on the ram ? unless you've replaced it with mini sinks you've reduced the surface area to which the ram can convectionally cool with. Which would mean they run hotter.

oh and p.s there is a aoa community support section on the forum for trouble shooting relationships
Old 4th November, 2004, 04:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The Prescotts are pretty near impossible to remove the heat spreader from by what I've read. I've seen several reports of chips completely destroyed; haven't heard of any successes. The Northwoods are generally capable of having the spreader removed, but you have to be REAL careful. And yes, removing the spreader does appear to net somewhere in the neighborhood of 5C or so in the temps (at least with the Northwoods).

Given the higher heat output of the Prescotts, one would assume Intel did a better job of bonding the chip to the spreader in order to improve the heat transfer. Therefore you probably wouldn't gain as much from its removal. Probably about the only way to tell is going to be for someone to basically sand one off to see.
Old 4th November, 2004, 05:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Is this something you can afford to lose? Really?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th November, 2004, 05:52 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i removed the heatspreaders from my hyperX...bye-bye lifetime warranty9 replaced with fancy-schmancy thermaltake trulights)

Like i said earlier...you'll lose some silicon...seems to be the general consensus.
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:49 PM

I dig the copper spreaders that came on my RAM. In fact, I had the exact kind of spreaders paid for and waiting when the RAM arrived with them already installed.

*sigh* Lol.