AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd November, 2004, 11:17 PM

The Latest From Intel.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see it posted anywhere. (Then again, I don't check the news.) If this is a repost, please delete it.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/In...ers-37785.html

Looks like Intel's new thing is coming. Apparently a new chipset and a more powerful chip, although it lives up to it's nickname: Expensive Edition.

I have an aquaintance who works for Intel and supposedly this thing is supposed to be...well...incredible.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

"A batch of 1,000 Extreme Editions will sell for US$999."------??!?!Am I misreading this or something? only $999 for 1,000 chips??!?!?
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:12 AM
AOA Staff

$999 each I would imagine.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

no thats $999 each when bought in thousands in other words thats what system builders pay for them
in other words stupidly priced.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

Holy CRAP. That's A LOT of money, lol.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 01:41 AM
Member/Contributer

They're aimed at the 'I'm stupidly rich and will pay a 500% premium for a 5% performance gain' demographic

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2004, 02:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
They're aimed at the 'I'm stupidly rich and will pay a 500% premium for a 5% performance gain' demographic
Not to stir up trouble, really. Is AMD's Athlon 64-bit 2.6 Ghx FX-55 as capable or even better than this $999 P4 Extreme? The price is nearly the same.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 04:55 AM
Member/Contributer

have a look through this

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...s/30579_hi.pdf

it's not the same P4EE but the results should be similar

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 04:59 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

That 1066 Bus is nearly as high as mine.

Still, according to [H]ardocp, it isn't worth the cash

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njgy

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 3rd November, 2004, 07:55 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Amd has always had more bang for the buck...it's what make us AMD fanboys, well, fanboys. DDR was originally an AMD thing, at least they were the first to support it. They've been playing catch-up ever since.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 10:50 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Given that Intel's chips have always had so much more frontside bus than AMD's chips, one has to wonder how much of that FSB goes to waste. It sounds a little bit like a move that doesn't necessarily provide the consumer with anything extra, whilst sounding like it does; all at the same time as increasing the price.

After all, AMD processors with a 400MHz effective transfer rate were keeping up with Intel processors with an 800MHz effective transfer rate. Does the move to 1066MHz effective transfer rate really mean anything?
Old 3rd November, 2004, 04:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Given that Intel's chips have always had so much more frontside bus than AMD's chips, one has to wonder how much of that FSB goes to waste. It sounds a little bit like a move that doesn't necessarily provide the consumer with anything extra, whilst sounding like it does; all at the same time as increasing the price.

After all, AMD processors with a 400MHz effective transfer rate were keeping up with Intel processors with an 800MHz effective transfer rate. Does the move to 1066MHz effective transfer rate really mean anything?
ahh but amd was first to introduce a ddr fsb back when the pIII rambled along at 133mhz so they haven't always had that advantage

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán

amd=2x200
P4 =4x200

almost the same die size. All i read is that it takes the p4 twice as much work...to do the same as an amd. Intel had tries larger caches, extra FPU's, and now, finally, a higher fsb...but like you say Aedan...more bandwidth...can they use it? I'd like to get a chip and see.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 06:05 PM
Member/Contributer

the intels have an incredibally long pipeline so when they make a mistake they need that cache and bandwidth to start again

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 06:26 PM

I'd like to get one as well...but I'd also like to make my car and mortgage payment. LOL
Old 3rd November, 2004, 06:34 PM

I read two reviews of the chip (will edit if I find it again), although one was an unlock Intel Reference chip that bumped up the FSB to emulate the 1066MHz chip. Both said it hardly made a difference to most benchmarks, but did help in gaming. It still came in slightly ahead of the A64 FX-55 in Productivity and slightly less in gaming, same as previous chips, but a smaller gap in the gaming than the older chips. Again, better money spent on AMD for a gaming rig.

[EDIT]
Here's the review at TBreak that emulates the 1066 FSB.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by DiabloAbogado; 3rd November, 2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 07:08 PM
Member/Contributer

the cpu isn't that relevent to gamin now any way, there isn't a game out that won't be playable on 2ghz chips and a 3000+ rated cpu will last well into the next 18 months
even the things the cpu does excel in it does so by a small amount an athlon mp system would probabally be better

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
the cpu isn't that relevent to gamin now any way, there isn't a game out that won't be playable on 2ghz chips and a 3000+ rated cpu will last well into the next 18 months
even the things the cpu does excel in it does so by a small amount an athlon mp system would probabally be better

there will be games...they are in development...but it's just like HL2...they have not enabled all features of the Soiurce engine in every level...purely based on cpu's and gpu's not able to keep up. Major physics requires major horsepower....i can't wait....Mods are shping up quite well.