AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th November, 2004, 03:24 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?

I'm seeing some guys claiming to get as high as 3.6Ghz on these at stock voltage. A 2.4Ghz costs something like $70 so it might be worth it if it can get that high. Anyone out there have one? Or do I get to be the first?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2004, 08:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

I saw a guy at another forum with proof of a 2.53GHz model doing 3.5GHz on air, so I think a 2.4GHz at 3.6GHz is possible.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2004, 09:07 PM
Member/Contributer

i've got a 2.4ghz coming soon so I'll let you know how it does

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2004, 12:57 AM
AOA Staff

I ordered a 2.4 myself so I guess I'll find out. I also ordered a cheapie board. The board and CPU cost $160 with shipping and tax. Since I have a couple of spare heatsink fans from a couple of P4's that I didn't use, hopefully that'll let me get a little extra juice.

AOA Team fah

Old 27th November, 2004, 01:18 AM
Member/Contributer

I've heard that the heatsink you get with them is quite good, copper core with radial fins, I'm not getting mine with the intentions of a power system only to surve as a media box so I'm using an asus pundit barebones system but it supports an 800mhz fsb which would be 3.6ghz which I've heard many achieve, I'll try it but for the most part it will be running at stock for heat reasons
You americans dont know how good you have it with the price of your stuff, it's costing me £140 for the cpu and asus box damn you!!

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2004, 01:52 AM
AOA Staff

I guess the HSF you get with the Celeron D is the same as you would get with a Prescott P4. The Prescott P4 had one with radial fins and a copper slug. The one that came with a Northwood was just plain aluminum. The both look like they have the exact same fan. Hopefully, it' won't be too loud.

The mobo and CPU are going into my younger boy's box. Something happened to it and it won't work anymore. I think both the mobo and CPU are dead. I put the CPU in another box and it wouldn't work. Then I put a working CPU in the suspect mobo and it still wouldn't boot up. At least the memory and video card seem fine.

AOA Team fah

Old 27th November, 2004, 07:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
I guess the HSF you get with the Celeron D is the same as you would get with a Prescott P4. The Prescott P4 had one with radial fins and a copper slug. The one that came with a Northwood was just plain aluminum. The both look like they have the exact same fan. Hopefully, it' won't be too loud.
the speed should vary with temps ifit is like my old stock intel cooler.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st December, 2004, 09:52 PM
AOA Staff

I got my mobo and Celeron D today. It's loading Windows as I type this. Right now, I'm kinda limited in my OC. I have PC2100 memory and it's holding me back. Still, I have it running at 166 which is good for 3.0Ghz right now.

AOA Team fah

Old 1st December, 2004, 11:43 PM
AOA Staff

Running 3/2 async on CPU/memory now. I'm up to 3616. It's been running Prime95 for about 30 minutes now.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd December, 2004, 12:39 AM
AOA Staff

I think I need a different PSU. Prime95 crashed after 40 minutes. I have it clocked down a bit now to 3.5Ghz. We'll see how this run goes.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd December, 2004, 02:06 AM
Member/Contributer

I hear they beat xp's and in some cases compare with full blown prescotts and a64's and in other cases perform about as fast as them clocked/rated about ~20% slower i.e. 3.6ghz would perform close to a 2.8-3ghz prescott, not bad for a $70/£40 chip

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2004, 04:19 PM
AOA Staff

BTW, the chip runs at around 64C full load with a case temp of around 32C. That's with the stock cooler and the stock goo that was on the cooler. I think I might remove the crap and reseat the heatsink with some better goo. I also swapped the PSU. The replacement PSU is same kind of crap so that made no difference. I might switch it again to a Fortron one I have in the closet.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd December, 2004, 05:46 PM
AOA Staff

Swapped the PSU for a Fortron and now the 12V line drops to 11.4V in the BIOS. Gotta do something about that. The things suckin' up so much juice none of the spare PSUs I have is up to the task.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd December, 2004, 07:39 PM
AOA Staff

The Fortron didn't do it. The 12V line was dropping down to 11.3-11.4. I swapped that one for a Thermaltake 420W. This one is marginally better than the other ones. I also changed out the original goo for the goo that comes with Thermalright heatsinks. That might have been a mistake. I'm thinking that the original goo was better. I have it set back to 3.6Ghz and it's running Prime95 again. Let's see how she holds up.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd December, 2004, 09:38 PM
AOA Staff

After I swapped coolers, either I did something wrong or the Thermalright thermal goo is no good. I was getting temps around 75C-77C running Prime95. I don't really care that it runs hot, but I think it might have been limiting my OC. So I swapped the cooler with the one I had left over from a P4 3.0E. I'm didn't remove the original goo and just used it as it is. It's now hitting a few degrees lower. BTW, the cooler is different for the Celeron D and the P4 Prescott. I'm not sure which one is better. I would venture to guess that the one that comes with the 3.0E is better, but you never know. Maybe the Celeron D heatsink fan is a newer design or something.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by mookydooky; 2nd December, 2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 2nd December, 2004, 11:14 PM
Member/Contributer

is it a copper core with radial fins?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd December, 2004, 12:27 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
is it a copper core with radial fins?
It's different. The Celeron cooler radiates in a spiral. The P4 cooler radiates in angles. The Celeron cooler's fins taper a bit. The P4 one does not. Like I said, I'm not sure which is better. They're probably equivalent since I'm getting about the same on either one.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd December, 2004, 12:49 AM
Member/Contributer

the first is the standard p4 prescott cooler i beleive, the 2nd 2 are the celeron d's
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?-intel-hsf3.jpg   Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?-cooler-1.jpg   Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?-cooler-2.jpg  

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd December, 2004, 01:47 AM
AOA Staff

Yup. Those are the coolers I have. I also have one from a Northwood which is all aluminum and probably not as good.

AOA Team fah

Old 7th December, 2004, 03:01 PM
Member/Contributer

mine came with the standard prescott cooler
luckily I don't need it as the pundit system has a decent looking copper cooler with it
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?-img_0158.jpg   Anyone with any experience with a Celeron D?-copper.jpg  

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah