AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th December, 2004, 10:37 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

81c PWN seems way too high. Mine dies if it gets above 70.

I think that is what is causing the instability.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2004, 11:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
is your video card overclocked?
that is a common cause
and if your agp post/pci ports are not locked, you could also get problems with rips/or artifacts.
make sure agp/pci is locked, and that your video card is not overclocked.
It was, but I turned it down, and it is currently running stock. With the memory running over 230, I get tearing. AGP/PCI is set to 66/33, so I can't think of anything.... I'm just gonna run memory low until I have time to figure it out... I've already spend too much time on this... I've got 2 systems to upgrade and christmas shopping to do.
Old 19th December, 2004, 03:04 AM

yeh i have a prescott too and i think these chips are apple tart and cream!! there really good over clockers,

when i get my new board and new Ram il try for the 4150 mhz with this cpu im using, and aswell the current speed im running at the moment with this cpu is 3850mhz and it stable and the temps on load are about 40 c but im using the cooler master hyper 6 KHC V81 with a 120mm Fan at the lowest speed and i never have to turn up the fan for more cooling which isnt to bad for the OC @ load for these hotties

so all in all these prescotts are damn good overclockers for a 478 platform

your getting a good overclock too
WooDeIrL
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2004, 08:41 AM
Member/Contributer

agp locks are what i'd check first. Then memory (video) overclocks are imo what mostly causes artifacts like broken glass images. Does your board have GAT/PAT(idk what chipset that board uses)? If so I'd tweek around with those a bit, I got more speed and even got rid of artifacts with one of the settings.
Old 19th December, 2004, 03:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
agp locks are what i'd check first. Then memory (video) overclocks are imo what mostly causes artifacts like broken glass images. Does your board have GAT/PAT(idk what chipset that board uses)? If so I'd tweek around with those a bit, I got more speed and even got rid of artifacts with one of the settings.
I have to look more closely... It has been a while since I played with these... I purposely leave them off, specifically, A-N-A-D-D.

Regarding AGP/PCI locks, I've got it set to 66/33. Is there something else I have to do? I'm hoping I'm missing something, and it is not locked for me. I've resorted to running FSB/MEM at 240/190ish, until I get this straightened out.

Please tell me I screwed up, with direction.

Would running AGP 4x help? I don't think my 9600NP really needs it at 8x.
Old 19th December, 2004, 05:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
I have to look more closely... It has been a while since I played with these... I purposely leave them off, specifically, A-N-A-D-D.

Regarding AGP/PCI locks, I've got it set to 66/33. Is there something else I have to do? I'm hoping I'm missing something, and it is not locked for me. I've resorted to running FSB/MEM at 240/190ish, until I get this straightened out.

Please tell me I screwed up, with direction.

Would running AGP 4x help? I don't think my 9600NP really needs it at 8x.
try setting the aperature a little lower.
abd trying 4x agp wont help, i dont think.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 02:50 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I still think it's the power regulating Mosfets that are killing stability.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 20th December, 2004, 05:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
try setting the aperature a little lower.
abd trying 4x agp wont help, i dont think.
Nope... And I've turned down the GPU oc, same...

Memory is very stable at 240. Just very odd that only in benchmarks, I get tearing, for certain tests only. If I turn down memory, all is fine again... Maybe northbridge overheating? I'm taking shots in the dark now.
Old 20th December, 2004, 05:43 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
I still think it's the power regulating Mosfets that are killing stability.
It is completely stable other than the GPU benchmarks... Temp now at 55c CPU, 36c case, and 74 PWM.

If I turn memory asynch, temps don't change, but the benchmarks stop tearing.
Old 20th December, 2004, 05:57 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Nope... And I've turned down the GPU oc, same...

Memory is very stable at 240. Just very odd that only in benchmarks, I get tearing, for certain tests only. If I turn down memory, all is fine again... Maybe northbridge overheating? I'm taking shots in the dark now.
I guess your gonna have to look into some new memory.
maybe some .ddr533

also, you can try lowering the timings on your ram.
maybe 2.5 or 3cas would do the trick.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 06:09 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Run the Prime95 "Blend" test. That will tell you if your memory is a problem.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 20th December, 2004, 01:31 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
I guess your gonna have to look into some new memory.
maybe some .ddr533

also, you can try lowering the timings on your ram.
maybe 2.5 or 3cas would do the trick.
Running 3.0-3-3-8.
Took it back up to synch, and stable for the last 24 hours folding.
I'll try the blend test when I get home tonight.
Old 20th December, 2004, 07:45 PM
Member/Contributer

wood, wow, how are your temps so low? I got a great waterblock and a huge rad and I get 40 idle 48-50 load! Well thats from MBM and I do have a pelt in the loop...thats prolly it. I gotta agree now though, they overclock like mad. I was in a basement last night with no heating on here in northern indiana. Outside it was like 7oC and it couldn't have been far off, so I put up the old 5:4, jacked some volts through it and pushed it to 4.1 stable, oddly it was only 38oC idle and 45ish load. I was at a LAN so I didn't have the oppertunity to test it there, it was fun running it though.

What ram are you running steve, if you have to run your ram at 3-3-3-8 to make it work you'd better have you're cpu over 4.2ghz to game lol. You ARE giving the ram the volts it wants to get moving right? Seems like the ram couldn't be THAT bad...

have you tried N/B strap? I used mine and I /think/ it helped stability at higher clocks/bus speed.
Old 20th December, 2004, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
....What ram are you running steve, if you have to run your ram at 3-3-3-8 to make it work you'd better have you're cpu over 4.2ghz to game lol. You ARE giving the ram the volts it wants to get moving right? Seems like the ram couldn't be THAT bad...

have you tried N/B strap? I used mine and I /think/ it helped stability at higher clocks/bus speed.
Running HyperX PC3200 in dual channel. Very nice sticks actually, and flexible. They do 2.0-3-2-6 up to 217, and 3.0-3-3-8 @ 240 (2.80v). I haven't tried N/B strap... but it's worth a shot when I get home. Thanks.
Old 20th December, 2004, 08:03 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

go with 4x. that card does not like 8x when overclocked hard. No performance difference either. Fastwrites being on could cause the problem.
Old 20th December, 2004, 08:14 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
go with 4x. that card does not like 8x when overclocked hard. No performance difference either. Fastwrites being on could cause the problem.
I'll try that too.
Card itself doesn't seem to be the problem tho... Running asynch, FSB 240 / Mem 192 clears up the artifacts.

Video card running stock has no impact either.

Odd thing I remember, I flashed the bios over the weekend, and the benchmark in memtest went up 150 mb/s. Sisoft showed no change.
Old 21st December, 2004, 06:46 AM

ATI 9600.... Not up to much

I've had the same problem with 9600's. You have to disable fast writes and they dont seem to overclock very well. Especially in a fast system, dont seem to be too bad when in a lower end PC.
Raid 0 Raptors x 3 Maxtor 160 & 200Gb
Soundblaster Audigy2 Zs
XFX 6800GT
Mach II Cooling
Old 21st December, 2004, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibant1
I've had the same problem with 9600's. You have to disable fast writes and they dont seem to overclock very well. Especially in a fast system, dont seem to be too bad when in a lower end PC.
Worth a shot.. I'll try disabling that too. I can change that in the driver settings, right? ... or do I have to do it in the bios? Is there a significant loss to performance? Again my card is not overclocked at all anymore.

BTW, isn't fastwrites always recommended "off" for ATI cards? I can't recall the setting. If it is the one and the same, it is already off.

Odd thing, last night, I tried to switch to 4x AGP... XP wouldn't let me do it. Windows refused to load.... back to 8x and it loaded the OS fine. (really scared me for a bit). With Christmas coming up, I'm swamped with stuff, so I may not get far with this.

To everyone offering advice, THANKS!
Old 21st December, 2004, 06:32 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you must do it in bios, or smartgart will not get a chance to change it. Fastwrites are required for some 9600's(mainly 64-bit ones)
Old 21st December, 2004, 06:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
you must do it in bios, or smartgart will not get a chance to change it. Fastwrites are required for some 9600's(mainly 64-bit ones)
By "it", do you mean 8X AGP? I changed that in the bios, and the OS couldn't load properly.

On Fastwrites, I have a 128bit 9600... will it make a significant difference in performance? Either way, I'll give it a shot tonight.