AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th January, 2005, 04:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Celeron D Underclocking

I'm putting a media pc together based around a Celeron D 320 and the plan is to underclock it on a 100mhz fsb to 1.8ghz to help cool it
I've read the datasheets on it and I know I need to change BSEL0 (pin AD6) from high to low.
Am I right in concluding to do this I need to insulate the pin or do I need to short it to a ground pin?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2005, 05:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Connect it to ground, preferably through about a 100 ohm resistor, but probably just taking it straight to ground will work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2005, 06:45 PM
Member/Contributer

would connecting it to BSEL1 wok as this is already st to LOW or would this short something that I shouldnt?
Thanks for the reply

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th January, 2005, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Probably, but quite frankly I don't know enough to be certain.

Generally, you don't tie pins to a voltage rail directly because you have the potential for biasing the chip substrate into a state that you don't want. Adding a resistor provides a safety margin. That being said, it generally doesn't cause a problem to tie a pin directly to ground, or to tied three or four pins together at the same point.
Old 7th January, 2005, 08:46 PM
Member/Contributer

From what I can gather BSEL0 on the chip connects to nothing where as BSEL1 is Low which I think means it's gruonded. So my thinking is that to trick the board into believing both BSEL pins are low a small piece of wire between the two BSEL pins would giver the Low signal to the board and run at the fsb that this configuration is for.
I'm gonna try it tonight, if it isn't successful is there much of a chance of damage or would reversing the wiring put things back to normal?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th January, 2005, 10:57 PM

Just a thought, instead of trying to underclock the processor to 1.8Ghz, why dont you just buy a second hand processor off Ebay, or do i not get the plot here?

It sounds alot easier

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 7th January, 2005, 11:16 PM
Member/Contributer

they don't do deleron d's down to those speeds and the celeron d is a much better chip than the northwood based one, plus I think if I make this system work a few friends want them and I can't be doing with going on ebay for several chips

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th January, 2005, 11:28 PM

kool

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 8th January, 2005, 03:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
kool
thats the plan

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th January, 2005, 03:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Well it worked, once I get some ceramanique I'm gonna see how low I can get the voltage on it, it already idles at room temp (25C) though and at full load it's now 35C compared with 37C

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th January, 2005, 04:33 AM
Member/Contributer

whoops forgot my attachement
Attached Thumbnails
Celeron D Underclocking-celerond.jpg  

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 08:33 PM
Member/Contributer

0.975V and cool as a cucumber. It actually gives it's self more volts under load, goes up to 0.99V

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2005, 12:06 AM
Member/Contributer

If the load temperature difference is only 2C is it really worth the effort and 600Mhz sacrifice??

AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2005, 12:16 AM
Member/Contributer

ahh that was only with the underclock. with the undervolt as well it's down much more, room temp at idle and 30C at load, with a quiet 70mm fan at about 900rpm

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2005, 04:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I'm putting a media pc together based around a Celeron D 320 and the plan is to underclock it on a 100mhz fsb to 1.8ghz to help cool it
I've read the datasheets on it and I know I need to change BSEL0 (pin AD6) from high to low.
Am I right in concluding to do this I need to insulate the pin or do I need to short it to a ground pin?
celly D runs cool anyway, there is no reason to underclock.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2005, 06:27 AM
Member/Contributer

not cool enough
Its for a htpc so needs to be silent. 1.8ghz is more than enough and it allows the fan to run on extremely low rpms

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 03:21 AM
Member/Contributer

why dont you give it a try at stock, and the if it overheats, then spend the time underclocking it?

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 03:28 AM
Member/Contributer

I already did, at stock it needs the fan on too loud to keep it at safe temps, underclocked I can have it on silent

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 03:39 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
fan on too loud
EH WHAT?!?! IT "STANDS ON TWO CLOUDS"? THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! LET ME TURN MY COMPUTER OFF!
Old 20th January, 2005, 03:58 AM
Member/Contributer

me likes a loud compy....lol
anyway, good luck on the underclock.

AOA Team fah