AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2005, 10:45 PM
Member/Contributer

Throttlewatch

I don't remember seeing this mentioned here before but I apologise if it has.
This is a tool that detects intels thermal throttling in action and gives a graph to show how much it takes place. I tested it on my celeron by stopping the fn and sure enough when it reaches the 70's it starts throttleing.

http://www.techspot.com/download400.html

Might be worth checking out if your intel chip runs hot or is overclocked.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2005, 10:49 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Thanks Graham.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2005, 12:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

what is thermal throttling and is it the same for AMD cpus??
Old 14th January, 2005, 01:17 AM
Member/Contributer

no amd's dont feature this, is an intel feature to prevent their cpu's from cooking themselfs, when the core temp reaches a certain amount they begin throttling back the clock speed, with slower cpu's this means very little, other than if the fan fails or heatsink falls off the cpu won't burn it's self which is handy for servers. for the top end cpu's its a differant story. I've heard that the 3.8ghz prescott does this quite frequently during full load because they get so hot, meaning it has small dips in clock speed very frequently lowering overall performance

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2005, 01:25 AM

then howcome my GA-7N400-L has cpu thermal throttling?
Old 14th January, 2005, 01:32 AM
Member/Contributer

I really recomend anyone running an overclocked intel to try test this and see if you really are getting what you think you are especially if you see core temps 60+

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2005, 01:34 AM
Member/Contributer

keywords there, your GA-7N400-L has thermal throttling. Intels solution is built into the chip and the motherboard has nothing to do with it. I've even read you can take the heatsink off an intel chip and it will not burn up where as an amd chip will probabally start a fire

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2005, 03:03 AM

lol
Old 14th January, 2005, 03:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Sure it's all fun and games, 'lets all laugh at fire', until someone looses an eye! oh wait no thats catapults, sorry as you were.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2005, 03:41 AM

man I seen AMDs Fry, you take the HS off for one second and they start to somke like that, intel on the other hand you take the HS off the Heat Spreader will let it run for 5 secons then it willl freez, no smoke there...

this was on toms hardware I wil try to find it I was a cool video.
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower 480Watt (18a on the 12v)
Cooler: Thermal Take Volcano 12
GFX: ATI X800 Pro
HDD: Samsung 120GB
Old 14th January, 2005, 03:50 AM
Member/Contributer

I've heard that intels actually carry on running they just throttle back extremely, maybe this was a while back though, before they became so hot.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2005, 03:58 AM

opps my mistake they also did a P3 1GHz thats the intle that froze, the P4's just got really laggy, for the AMD they did the computer crashed and they got the BSOD just beofr smoke started to rise
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower 480Watt (18a on the 12v)
Cooler: Thermal Take Volcano 12
GFX: ATI X800 Pro
HDD: Samsung 120GB
Old 14th January, 2005, 02:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I tried it a while back with a Northwood. First, I unplugged the fan and waited until the CPU started throttling hard. Then I removed the heatsink. The CPU starts throttling harder. If I remember correctly think it eventually settled at something like 100mhz. Surprisingly, it still worked, just extremely slowly. BTW, a couple of other Intel tools can be found at diefer.de. I use the fan control thing on my laptop all the time.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......