AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2005, 08:42 PM

Lightbulb From 3.6 to 4.0 - using 9XX or 8X5 chipset ?

nice to find a forum where people are so in to their computers.

for no reason other than "because it's there", i'd like to take a step up in speed from my abit ic7 max 3 ... it goes from 3.0 to 3.3 & then just about stops there.

i'm wondering if AGP graphics cards and the DDR memory are better suited to overclocking than PCI express and DDR2.

i'm looking at these ==>

865 chipset
MSI 865 Neo 3
asus p5p800

875 chipset
shuttle sb81p
dfi lan party board

i guess here the asus p5ad is a good choice ?

how do the hybrids stand out cost-wise and performance wise, compared to the p5ad ?

thanks.
Old 15th January, 2005, 10:54 PM
Member/Contributer

agp/pci-e shouldn't make a differance if the bus speed is locked. DDR2 should be better for overclocking as it is designed for higher speeds.
If you are going for a new system then it seems lga775 systems have been overclocking better than s478

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2005, 11:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

PCI-E does make a difference. Both 915 and 925 chipsets don't lock the PCI-E bus. That means your OC will most likely be limited if you use a SATA drive since the SATA connection runs off the PCI-E. Most SATA drives are crapping out around 250FSB or so, most show HD corruption before that. The 9xx chipsets also have a built in OC lock which limits OC to about 10% or so. Some manufacturers have managed to break the lock, some better than others. From what I gather, ASUS and Abit have had the most success with the OC lock, with both able to go over 260FSB with a good SATA drive. You might have better luck using traditional IDE drives with 9xx chipsets. IDE connectors don't run off the PCI-E bus.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th January, 2005, 12:00 AM
Member/Contributer

i'm pretty shocked by your minimal OC on such a board. I have the same one. I'd guess you're not doing something right, and or your cooling isnt' sufficient. Maybe you didn't lock your AGP/PCI buses on the max3? I got my 3.2 to 4 stable but then winter came and my roommate wants the heat on, and my box is right by the radiator...so thats no good. But I'd think you're 3.0 could do at leats 3.5...
Old 16th January, 2005, 12:08 AM
Member/Contributer

dimy mistake didn't realise they didn't have locks yet. But with some of the 9xx boards they can run on a 14 multiplyer, meaning you can run at a genuine fsb setting of 1066mhz so the other bus speeds will be in spec

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th January, 2005, 12:49 AM

oops ! i'm gonna have to learn to communicate.

these are all LGA-775 boards. the asus p5p is sold locally in san diego in systems, i don't see anybody selling the MSI Neo 3 in systems, just "a la carte".

865 chipset + LGA 775
MSI 865 Neo 3
asus p5p800

875 chipset + LGA 775
shuttle sb81p
dfi lan party board

925 + LGA 775
i guess here the asus p5ad is a good choice ?

why the LGA 775 ? because we can get the 3.6 GHz part for $400+.

also, i suspect that at these frequencies that the LGA 775 socket has better characteristics as an RF transmission line.

in the short term i'd use a 200 GB Maxtor Parallel IDE

+ + +

as far as the abit ic-7 max 3, a socket 478 board, i bumped up the memory voltage slightly. i have OCZ platinum DDR-433 in there right now.

who would have thought - 3.3 gHz seeming slow ? that system is running win2k which did not recognize the serial ata drive during the last install ... so i went with a 200 gb seagate PATA drive.

+ + +

anyway i can tell i'm going to convince myself i need another computer system in the near future. the 3.6 LGA seems like a good choice/ price.

incidentally, i had an interesting experience with the abit. seems i ran it for a half hour - with no fan. NO FAN !! yes it was hot. i would have thought it impossible, cooked for sure. i guess this is what they call "burn in" ?
as far as the effect that burn in had on speed, it's about the same now as before, going 10% - but not 11% - above stock speed.
Old 16th January, 2005, 02:01 AM
Member/Contributer

well you've seen intels thermal throttling in action then, you can even take the heatsink off the cpu and not cook it (really not recomended)
Throttlewatch
A burn in is where you run a cpu at 100% load for a long time to ensure stability. some people claim it improves overclocking or allows lower voltages but the evidence is patchy at best. It is possible that over a period of time the thermal paste and heatsink contact improve but theres no conclusive proof that anything physicaly happens to the silicon to allow this

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah