AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2005, 03:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Hrm got my new mobo and stuff...

So I got my new stuff for my lan box. Scored an ABIT AI7 micro guru, but I have a question, most pictures I've seen have a chip below the southbridge. Here in this picture shows what I've got

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuima...58-1010-ir.jpg
there is a white spot, and no chip. What does this mean? What did that chip do, was it a raid chip that I wont need anyways? This isn't bad is it? I can't try it out yet since All the parts aren't/won't be in.
Old 21st January, 2005, 08:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

looks like that chip was meant two support the two empty sata connectors near the bottom of the board
Old 21st January, 2005, 12:19 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah it's probabally from an extra raid controller, so you will only have the ide and sata channels provided by the southbridge

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2005, 02:36 PM
Member/Contributer

good thing, i use 1 IDE drive fer a lanbox
Old 21st January, 2005, 04:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Hmm...
I honestly can't recall. If the question is still open this evening, I'll check when I get home. My main rig has the side panel off, so I can just stick my head in and see what it looks like. AFAIK, there is only one model AI7, sold with and without the extra do-dads (micro guru eye whatchamacallit). The physical board should be identical to mine. It has on board sata (2), but I never heard of an option for 4 or more... Anyway, I'll see tonight and let you know what I find.
Old 21st January, 2005, 05:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Its a good board, right? I made a good purchase(this is me askin for a personal review :P)
Old 21st January, 2005, 07:09 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
Its a good board, right? I made a good purchase(this is me askin for a personal review :P)
Excellent board. Very stable, good performance, and flexible. In my case, I have the system running stably at 240fsb. Think the board can go higher, but I prefer keeping things comfortable and not pushing too hard.

I'm not sure if it is the board or the chipset, but I get no performance boost going from cas 3.0 to 2.5 in dual channel mode. You can force PAT, but I found it is not worth the trouble. My memory can't handle the pat features at high fsb... only at stock 200. It is the equivalent of tighting timings.

I don't use the sata, but the sound is good (for onboard), and from what I understand, this board is optimized for prescotts. In fact, I noticed a decent 'visual' performance boost going from my northwood. Everything felt crisper in windows, even at the same CPU speed. Video encoding times improved more than I expected from the speed bump. I have to believe part of it was the larger cache of the prescott, and also the board working better with it. The socket placement is awkward, diagonal but it hasn't impeded the HSF at all.

Just keep an eye on the temps for PWM. Tends to run very hot, and may reduce the life of the board if it goes out of control. It is measuring the temp of something just above the socket, so extra cooling there is a good idea.

I'm very happy with mine... For an intel system.
Old 21st January, 2005, 10:43 PM
Member/Contributer

I just made a 3 40mm fan array for my IC7-MAX3 and it helped..not much though, since I only focused it on the front of the board. I had an NF7-s and I know how hot they can get. I hope to really push the hell out of this FSB on this board. My 2.4 hopefully will open it up on that. I hope one of my two chips ends up being good.

heres a side note, does anyone have or know where to get a maze4 GPU ATi mounting kit? apperently the mounting kit I have is for the Ti/FX cards. I checked at DD and I dont know if the hold-down kit they have is the mounting kit, the proper one, anyone know about that?

Steve, thanks for the review I'll let everyone know in a few weeks when I get this goin
Old 22nd January, 2005, 01:21 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I never noticed that before... I have a little white square just like in the picture.
Under it, there is space for, and in writing SATA3 & SATA4. Go figure. I guess when they designed the board, they wanted to make this optional, with an additional sata controller. I hate sata, so there's no use for me. I fiddle around too much.... I'd be breaking sata cables and connections left and right. They are WAAYYYY too flimsy for my liking.
Old 22nd January, 2005, 01:36 AM
Member/Contributer

yea, and they are shorter than my attention span