AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st January, 2005, 11:46 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

OC a Pentium III - 933mhz on Acer S58M Mobo?

I don't suppose there would be a guide around that just happens to cover this cpu + mobo?

Oh yeah btw im new

I was also thinking of upping my Microstar card with Riva TNT2 chipset but i doubt i could really get anything out of it and cant find any information on OC'ing this specific card.
Old 31st January, 2005, 06:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

from what ive heard on this particular cpu, dont expect much of an oc from it. i remember there was a guy on here a few months back who oc'd his 933mhz p3 and got only about 970mhz in the end IIRC.

you might be better off getting another system, because i doubt you will be able to get a big enough difference in performance to see any difference. ( there was a guide i saw somewhere that described how to build a budget system for under $400, if youre interested i can dig it up)
Old 31st January, 2005, 07:40 PM
Member/Contributer

you would see much better results from tweaking the memory timings. Look in the bios for settings along the lines of chipset settings, and there should at least be a setting for CAS Latency, set this to 2
Also look for RAS to CAS delay, RAS Precharge and Cycle time (TRAS) and see how low you can get them
The coppermine PIII's only went up to 1ghz (a few 1.13ghz were available but very few) and most chips would only overclock to the mid 900's, so you would probabally see much better results from tweaking the memory timings than pushing the speed higher

The tnt2 you should have much more luck with, just install nvidia drivers and enable coolbits and then overclock it. I used to have a tnt2 ultra and it overclocked to 205mhz core 220mhz memory

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2005, 07:42 PM
Member/Contributer

oh and make sure you know how to reset the bios before testing any of these out. there should be a jumper to short the battery out and reset the settings, because setting the memory timings to low can prevent the system from booting, if this happens just rest the bios and don't try that low a setting again.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

Ahhh yeah i didn't think it would go far i was just interested to know. Getting my card going a bit better would be good temporarly as im getting a GFX5200 soon plus i have a Sis 300/305 lying around so if it stuff's up im not too worried.

In the nVidia settings applet you know from Settings Display Properties/Advanced button how it has it's own little tab it allows some adjusting to some odd settings im not familiar with under an "Advanced Timings" button.

I added an attachment ss.png showing the particular dialog im talking about.

EDIT: Oh wow it comes up as a little thumbnail thats nice
Old 1st February, 2005, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

don't muck with them unless you know what your doing, they aren't to do with performance they are for the signal sent to the monitor and allow you more control over resolution and refresh rates, you can damage a monitor by running it incorrectly
you shouldn't damage a card overclocking it though.

By the way how come you decided on a 5200 over a geforce 4?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st February, 2005, 01:44 AM
Banned

If your'e talking about the one's on safar safar's site(one in original post) they only have 64mb memory.

EDIT: How would i get more out of my TNT2? The options in the TNT2 panel dont have anything to change core/memory. To be exact it's an Microstar MS-8802 with nVidia Riva TNT2 chipset with 16mb memory.

I checked MSI site and my card is the only one not listed even in the archive which really pissed me off. I thought they may have some software for it or something even though it is old.
Old 1st February, 2005, 02:38 AM

Ok, here's some touchy advice. I have a 933 P3 running at 1.15 GHz with no options in the BIOS and a 2.24 GHz P4 @ 2.66 GHz, again with no options in the BIOS for OCing. I got these speeds by finding the IC chip that controlled FSB on my MoBo. Then went to CPUID.com and downloaded the ClockGen that had the same IC chip in the model. Even though it didn't say it supported my borad, it worked. This would only be for the more adventurous and only suggested if the BIOS doesn't offer any options for OCing. To help find your IC chip on you board, I looked at softFSB (in AOA Files) to help find which one did the OCing.
Old 1st February, 2005, 03:53 AM
Banned

I just found some info on my mainboard over at acer and downloaded a manual for it (.chm file) could someone take a look at it for me maybe tell me what i can do with it in terms of better performance.

Here is url to the page: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...iton_3200.html

In the manual it has some information about BIOS settings one that looked interesting was Memeory/Cache options allowing me to change the CPU frequency Multiplier.... is this usefull at all?

From the same page i also downloaded what looks to be a bios upgrade for my mobo but it's a bin file am i supposed to extract this?
Old 1st February, 2005, 11:00 AM
Member/Contributer

you need to find out what clockgen you have. Look on the board it's self, usually just to the right of the agp slot, there should be a small rectangular chip, about 1cm long with a silver chip next to it, write down the make and model of this and then as DiabloAbogado said download clockgen.

as for the tnt2 download nvidias referance drivers and enable coolbits
Attached Files
File Type: zip coolbits.zip (698 Bytes, 99 views)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st February, 2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

EDIT: 1cm chip near agp? im gonna need a microscope or atleast a flashlight to be able to find it let alone read it lol. Where my case is atm the light isnt shining inside to well.

EDIT2: Ahhh i see it enables some more options in my nVidia panel very nice

Last edited by Chesso; 1st February, 2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 1st February, 2005, 01:06 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm afraid it's the only way to find the clockgen out, unless doing a google on the board model finds a site with detailed specs.
It's not that hard to read, with my case side off I can read mine in daylight or with a flash light

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah