AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th February, 2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

P4 Mobo, CPU and RAM?

With what i have right now i can't do all that much with it so im thinking of getting a P4 Motherboard and P4 Processor(Any make mhz dont matter any would be better then current id rather lower end cheaper one though). And some ram for it unless my PC133 SDRAM would go with it

Im wondering what kind of money am i gonna need for this? I have everything else and should be fine id Prefer AGPx8 slot and onboard audio(Haven't come across one that doesnt yet).

Oh price estimate preferably AUD(Australian Dollars).
Old 18th February, 2005, 04:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For 8x AGP, you are probably better off with a s478 system. Think i865 chipset. $80-90 bucks for a good mobo... The best CPU for that is a prescott... you get the bandwidth, HT and higher clocks. A 3.0 goes for about $180 on sale.

Memory wise, think dual channel, there are many opinions out there, but think 1 gig for about $150-$200.

All in US dollars... sorry, don't know aus.
Interested in overclocking? .... add another $30-50 for a good HSF.
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:00 PM
Steve Jobs

a gig of ram in QLD here is $200, a P4 mobo is $55 up to $200
a 2.8 or so P4 goes for $220 or so. I think for your purposes keep the stock cooler as it does an ok job. where in AUS are you? i know the australian computer stores pretty well so i could point you in the right direction if you like.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th February, 2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Im in Sydney somewhat close to the city.

Im seeing how much im going to need iv'e got $200 put away so far. There's no way im gonna need 1gig of ram lmao sure ill get there eventually but not straight off the bat, 256/512 is enough. Im not worried processor as long as it's compatible with the mainboard i'll end up getting and preferably cheaper lower end one. Hell any of them should crap on my Pentium 3 933mhz cpu.

If there are some that support old SDRAM that would be kool as i could re-use the 256 stick i have atm but im not to worried about that.
Old 19th February, 2005, 01:05 AM
Steve Jobs

Well, there are Sdram P4 mobos, but they are serverely crippled due to the lack of bandwidth. As far as ram size goes, a 256mb stick is $49, and a 512 is $94 have a look at umart.com.au, they have some of the best prices in syd. You really need 512 if you are using winXP/2K. Else you will be using too much virtual memory.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

Ill take a look thnx. And 256 will do temporarily i never go over that unless playing Neverwinter Nights but that is reason enough to get myself 512 when i can.
Old 19th February, 2005, 01:23 AM
Steve Jobs

xp uses over 300 on its own, which is why i really think you should get 512, but hey its you choice
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 19th February, 2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Are you sure about that lmao i start up at 79mb usage and never go over 220 unless running NeverWinter nights or certain other games.

Iv'e been looking at:

ASUS P4P800S-SE Intel 848P Motherboard:
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=4&sid=9157

Or

ASUS P4S800-MX Pentium 4 SIS661FX LanMotherboard:
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=4&sid=6636

And

256M PC3200 DDR RAM:
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=4&sid=2597

You think either mobo and ram would be ok? I'll worry about extra ram later on when i have a bit more money and i gotta sort out a processor for it too hmm. Im trying to spend as little as possible right now i just want something that's upgradeble to a degree.
Old 19th February, 2005, 01:49 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesso
Are you sure about that lmao i start up at 79mb usage and never go over 220 unless running NeverWinter nights or certain other games.
did you include your current pagefile ussage in that 79mb?
go the intel board over the SIS. SIS are a little bit dodgy.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 19th February, 2005, 02:09 AM
Banned

Pagefile usage included I disable many things in windows xp plus sacrifice alot to use less ram but it doesn't make too much of a difference for me. Im using 182mb right now running Borland Delphi 7(med sized project loaded) Firefox with 6 tabs, notepad and msn msgr 6.2.

All i need to figure out now is a processor for the mobo. Do you know whereabouts in sydney these guys are at? They say you can pick up or get it delivered though i'll probably get it delivered.

EDIT:

This doesn't look to bad and not pricy but is it any good for either of those mobo's?

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=4&sid=8137

EDIT2: I just noticed it's a celeron...
Old 19th February, 2005, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A celeron D is probably the best bet. This way you can get a mobo that can still accomodate a better processor, but in the US a 2.4ghz Celeron D (prescott core) goes for about $75. It should overclock to about 3.5ghz too.
Old 19th February, 2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Hmmm i sent an email their way and got a reply it seems they have nothing to do with the NSW store (QLD one) and the NSW part doesn't even work.....no contact number or any way to contact them is listed either.

Im still waiting for another reply i asked how much it would cost to get it delivered to sydney.