AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2005, 05:28 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

More than twenty pins??

Howdy, virtual friends and neighbours!

I'm gonna install a new Asus P5P800 board with a Prescott 3.0 soon. I read that the 20-pin power connector on this mobo has more than 20 pins? Is this a true story? If so guidance is needed, oh wise one's. Please!
Old 4th March, 2005, 06:25 PM
AOA Staff

either 20 or 24 depending on what the decided to put on there, usually the 24's are only on server boards, but not always apparently
Old 4th March, 2005, 09:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It does indeed have a 24pin connector on it. However it also has a seperate 4pin connector. Running a quick comparison between the 20pin and 24pin connector, and they are practically identical, except for the extra four pins, and the fact that the 24pin connector has 'no connect' instead of -5V.

The manual states "When using an ATX 12 V PSU with 20-pin power plug, make sure that it can provide 8 A on the +12 V lead and at least 1A on the +5V standby lead (+5 VSB)." It also recommends that the power supply is at minimum 350W for a 'fully configured system'
Old 5th March, 2005, 02:31 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for such quick replies, surlyjoe and Aedan!

May I ask another question, please? I have a 460W Enermax that's optimised for a P4, or so goes the advertising. How do I connect the 20-pin main power plug from this PSU to the 24-pin female plug that's on the P5P800 mainboard?? Will the two different plugs even "lock" together?
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:37 AM

That 24pin thangy running@ 20pin wouldn't wanna work on that Asus A8V. Disappointing.....

some compatibility issue?
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Thank you for such quick replies, surlyjoe and Aedan!

May I ask another question, please? I have a 460W Enermax that's optimised for a P4, or so goes the advertising. How do I connect the 20-pin main power plug from this PSU to the 24-pin female plug that's on the P5P800 mainboard?? Will the two different plugs even "lock" together?

Help, please! Bump.
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure I can give you much guidance here. My assumption (and that is EXACTLY what it is!) is that the 20pin connector will mate with 20 of the 24pins, leaving 4 pins unconnected. There is a seperate 4 pin connector at the top of the board which the P4 connector is then connected to.

Don't try to connect the 4pin connector to the spare pins on the 24pin socket!!!
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Actually, I doubt that it will. The pins on the 20-pin connector are keyed, and I rather imagine that the 24-pin connector is keyed differently.

If you look here you will find several places that sell adapters, however.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2005, 06:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you very much for your rapid replies, Aedan and Gizmo! I won't try to connect the 4-pin plug to the 24-pin power receptacle--though it did cross my mind.

I ordered a 24-pin to 20-pin adaptor from Monarch. I'm trying to cancel the order, Newegg has it for nine less bucks!
Old 9th March, 2005, 02:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The 20-pin power connector from the Enermax PS will connect to Asus's PITA 24-pin female connector observing correct keying. One of the 24-pin to 20-pin adaptors I ordered arrived, but it's bassackwards as to the male and female ends.

Wish me luck, I may have a very expensive flash, bang with smoke to report shortly!
Old 9th March, 2005, 02:47 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Smile

Whew! No bangs or smoke, Gott sei Danke! Now I'm reminded why I gave my neighbor a new barebones box a few days ago. I had the 20-pin power cable hooked wrong on the m'board's 24-pin plug. He corrected my mistake, all hail Mr C! All hail... you get the idea.

Wowsa, a 3 Ghz LGA775 P4. Who'd a thunk it? It's a tiny CPU with a gigantic HSF. I'll be OCing it real quicklike. Not. The puppy obviously runs real hot at stock.
Old 9th March, 2005, 04:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

The 24pin is ATX 2.03 I believe, there are some power supplies for it.
Hows it run performance wise cloasters?
I would love to see some benches on that.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th March, 2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Whew! No bangs or smoke
Good stuff - I had checked out the connectors first to ensure that they used similar pins for the right voltages, and was pleasently surprised when they did.
Old 10th March, 2005, 12:10 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

The first 20 pins on the are the same as on both.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If it's an upgrade, it never goes easily in my house. What APITA, the 40 Gb 4 year old Seagate in the box went TU. Fair enough. My... wizard neighbor dropped the new Fujitsu(read IBM pos) 40 Gb HDD as he was installing it. Tick, tick, tick noise. Two HDD's into the trash today.

I have the 4 y/o Seagate I bought for him in the box now. It's due to die any minute now.

Freakin' $40 Trend Micro 2005 Security Suite refuses to let me re-register it and update it. $#^*&(*^!

It's ALWAYS something.
Old 11th March, 2005, 07:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mirabile dictu! Trend Micro does have an 800 number. Fixed my re-registration problem in short order. Yay! I ordered two Seagate 120 Gb HDD's from Le Egg. Wonder of wonders, the "rush my order" feature actually worked. I've never half filled a 40 Gb HDD--but all the young people want big hard drives.

Bruddah, I have a bad case of GAS in the computer zone. Gear Acquisition Syndrome, that is. GAS comes in many forms. You like cars? You love music equipment? Antique furniture your thing? GAS is an equal opportunity
syndrome.

Stop me before I spend again.
Old 12th March, 2005, 12:17 AM

Just send all that PC gear to me, we will break you of the computer habit.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th March, 2005, 07:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you, Mr Wizard! What's the address? Kidding, an expensive habit is hard to break. I haven't spent money on my PC's for quite a while. Why didn't I keep it that way?
Old 20th March, 2005, 08:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I think Intel slipped a new form factor into PC user's cases when we were looking the other way. I recently ordered an expensive ATX 2.03 power supply--with a 24-pin power plug. Most ATX 2.03 form factor PS's sport a 20-pin power plug.

While a 20-pin power plug from the PS will mate with a mainboard that has a 24-pin receptacle--*Caution. Look at the pattern of rounded and square holes in the power plug and m'board's female plug VERY carefully before putting them together.*
Hint, if the plug won't seat all the way, the alignment isn't right. There will be four "naked" pins in the mobo's 24-pin plug, and they are at one end of the receptacle.

Anyway, I think that this new standard of standardness is referred to as: EPS12V.

Maybe this form factor has been around for years. If so, it was only needed for Server motherboards. So nice to move up, thanks to Intel's LGA 775 processors. It's not like they are power hogs, cough.
Old 20th March, 2005, 09:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

AFAIK, the 24-pin standard EPS12V has been around in servers for a while (couple of years), but is just now making it to the desktop.