AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th March, 2005, 06:32 AM

more bench

Doom3 Timedemo 1 - 1024x768 High quality

2.7ghz@ 135fsb @ xtpe default clk

141.3 FPS

Attached Thumbnails
My NEU Dothan Toy-141.3-fps.png  
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2005, 06:41 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

what makes it so sickening is the lask of FSB...imagine what this would do @ 250 or so....
Old 18th March, 2005, 06:45 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

yeah you would have thought that the lack of bandwidth would cripple it but they obviously dont suffer from it!

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2005, 07:53 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

well, it seems right on par with what an A64 does with double the bandwidth, so that raises some questions, however, i think that it would be lacking in large video rendering situations, or such, but for the current gaming market, that wee bit is more than enough, i guess. You would think that a game with large physics calculations, like HL:2 (in rare instances, like outdoors, but the game is by no means at the limits of what the engine can do), it might suffer, but wham, in comes the PHYS-X, or whatever it's called.

Bwah ha ha. multiprocessing at it's best. I said it was coming! HTPC, WIFI, dual cpu's and gpu's...multi-cored consoles(dude sitting behind closed doors playing the playstation3 and xbox360 right now laughing at all those that think the tech isn't already finished). There's a processing explosion coming....
Old 18th March, 2005, 05:27 PM

More like a processor thermonuclear explosion if the cell technology delivers.

Athlon 64 3700+, Shuttle sn95, 1gb, nvidia 7600gt

----old-----
xp1700+ @ xp2600 (12.5*166 / 1.6v), epox 8k3a+, TwinMos + Geil 1.5gb ram, Ati radeon 8500 128mb
Old 18th March, 2005, 09:57 PM
Member/Contributer

For video encoding etc.. it's about on par with an A64 still and a bit behind the P4

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th March, 2005, 10:39 PM
Member/Contributer

that adaptor needs to come out now, and work on my abit board, I'm gettin tired of all my heat problems lately with this prescott! RAWR! GIVE ME DOTHAN!
Old 20th March, 2005, 01:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey whatever, if you were to pop out the stock retention mech on the Aopen board, could you use a screw-down heatsink? I know that the proc has a lower profile, since it doesn't have the heatspreader, so certain types of retention mounts wont contact properly, so would a screw-down mount ok? I assume thats why your xp90 worked, but I'm lookin at like swiftech MCX type.
Old 20th March, 2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
Hey whatever, if you were to pop out the stock retention mech on the Aopen board, could you use a screw-down heatsink? I know that the proc has a lower profile, since it doesn't have the heatspreader, so certain types of retention mounts wont contact properly, so would a screw-down mount ok? I assume thats why your xp90 worked, but I'm lookin at like swiftech MCX type.
yeah i think so. Screw-down/bolt-down heatsink will also work on the Aopen board. Bolt-down hs SLK-948 may do it. it's way too damn heavy though.

if you scroll down a bit that "jan555" guy likes Alpha heatsink.. more info in that link..

I did look through some of the Swiftech heatsinks in newegg.. looks pretty tempting too. I haven't looked into them much so I don't know how well they'll fit. I would keep looking..

as for the XP-90, no it uses 2 metal clip bars on a standard P4 mounting retension bracket ..
Attached Thumbnails
My NEU Dothan Toy-picture-20012-1-.jpg  

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th March, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 20th March, 2005, 09:40 AM

I'm now comfortably be able to run 2.6+ghz stable(gaming) with that quiet 80mm lited fan in my tight little case.

pcmark 2002
Attached Thumbnails
My NEU Dothan Toy-image001.png  

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 25th March, 2005, 03:22 AM

mmm i like the sound of this:

Quote:
That GamePC.com review was pretty good. A definate picture is emerging:

With a 33% increase in FSB, the Dothan is hauling home fairly small increases (2-4%) in Encoding, Rendering, and Scientific benchmarks. Now, these apps are obviously not it's strengths, yet it's scores all around at 2.53 GHz are more than respectable - easily beating the 4000+ and all of the P4s.

But in games it appears to be averaging more like 6-7%. increase due to the higher FSB. That bodes incredibly well for 12-14% increases yet to come with the eventual move to a 200 MHz FSB. Considering that the Dothan at 2GHz/533 was worthy of a 4000+ rating, a 2GHz/800 Dothan could well be 4800+.

At 2.5 GHz /533 it was already untouchable... easily a match for a hypothetical FX-57 at 2.8 GHz. To put it bluntly, the A64 and all of the netburst chips were utterly destroyed. With a faster FSB it looks like a 6 GHz P4 and a 3.2 GHz K8 would still be eating it's dust.

Things might not scale quite so well, it's true. But the K8's scaling looks a little peaked at the top end in a few benchmarks, and the P4 just can't seem to get any more FSP no matter what they do to it.

So that's my first real analysis after seeing the effects of the FSB on the Dothan. Basically it's got the potential, at 2.4 GHz (which is clearly a conservative release speed) with a 200/800 FSB to match or exceed an FX-55/4200+ in workstation applications. The P4 has a few strong points here it could hold onto, but I doubt it would hold up either - the Dothan doesn't seem to share any of it's weak points.

In games, the 2.4/800 Model will simply dominate, as clearly and utterly as the Athlon64 does over the P4 now - more so, even. We're looking at very likely a 10-20% lead over the FX-55 (and that's a 2.4 GHz chip against a 2.6 GHz chip).

As to the lay of the market at that time, who can say? While it doesn't look like a 2.6 GHz 90nm Dothan would be a likely official release, it looks like AMD would have to come up with a 3 GHz FX-59 to even be taken as a serious contender for gaming. True, a 2.6 GHz large-cache chip looks like it would be quite competitive in content creation and workstation apps, but just to remain competitive all around AMD will require a 2.8 GHz part. Even though AMD has enjoyed reduced thermals at 90nm, I think that part would be right against the 110w envelope, and all that would be required just to compete with a 2.4 GHz (30w?) Dothan.

I think Advance-Morgan-Duron said it best: The future lies with Dothan.

P4 is done for, and A64 desperately needs either some scaling, some more memory bandwidth, or a serious core tweak or maybe all of the above to stay in the running. Even then, with 2C projects approaching, I think the A64's thermal disadvantage will be amplified into a debilitating handicap.
some good reviews from:

Edited:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...ookie%5Ftest=1

http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/art...dow.php?id=113

http://www.behardware.com/articles/546/page1.html

information referred from: http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...5&pagenumber=5

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 25th March, 2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 25th March, 2005, 03:34 AM
Member/Contributer

the first two dont come up(404) and i wanna know how well it stacks up against the upcoming venice(4-4-05) onboard mem controller is upgraded, higher clocks at less voltage as well, not sure what the thermals are, not to mention the benefits that will be realized with the coming of 64bit software too...its just so hard to decide anymore!
Old 25th March, 2005, 10:23 PM
Member/Contributer

hey whatever, I found this thought of you: http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-tri-22.html?id=vpPHf3dp it might only be cosmetic, but then again might also transfer heat better, but it sure does look pretty
Old 26th March, 2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
hey whatever, I found this thought of you: http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-tri-22.html?id=vpPHf3dp it might only be cosmetic, but then again might also transfer heat better, but it sure does look pretty
woah.. The Golden beauty. That would cool it.

Weight:
690g (heat sink only)

I fear the weight...

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.